BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Competition Package retrofit?

As above, will it be possible to recreate the comp pack by essentially adding all the suspension components etc?
Also BMW have obviously flashed the ECU to give the car the extra 15bhp. If a tuner gets hold of this file will this not be a fairly safe after market map as it will appear to BMW as a stock file. Obviously it would all go wrong as soon as they checked your car wasn't purchased with it originally on lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

The power increase is the least important/impressive aspect of the CP (indeed, having had both it's barely noticeable until you're right at the top end). IMO, even the CP wheel's which I first disliked (and now think look fantastic in real life) are way above the power increase!

Th reason you really want the CP is for the steering. It's all about the steering. Much much sharper and more natural in feel. Slightly further down the list, you may want the suspension upgrades as it takes a car that isn't immune to body roll and makes it into a remarkably flat handler without any discernible trade-off in ride. The lack of body roll in the CP is remarkable, given the weight it's having to contain.

So, back to my first point, the power increase would be right down the list and you may as well go for an aftermarket tune if thats all you want - whether it's the BMW file or not, if it's not installed by BMW then I think they would look on it in the same (negative) way when it comes to warranty.

IMO, these car never needed anymore power for the road but the launch-model M6 I had definitely did need better steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
You can do it yourself. The most obvious things to change would be the springs and anti roll bars. I would actually be interested in just the anti roll bars since that is a simple low cost upgrade. I'm happy with ride height as is and already have issues with front bumper clearance when pulling out of elevated parking lots.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Um.. need to do some reading.

here is a good start: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975

bottomline from BMW on the BIMMERPOST Q&A Jason posted:

"Can Competition Package parts/software be retrofitted?

No, official retrofit support will not be provided by BMW here in the U.S. But, of course some parts can be retrofitted by individual owners if they went to enough lengths to do so. Some things would be easier of course, but steering and software would be difficult. The demand for retrofit is lower in U.S. due to the higher lease penetration and higher car turnover. In comparison, Europe supports retrofitting more than the U.S."
      09-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Um.. need to do some reading.

here is a good start: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975

bottomline from BMW on the BIMMERPOST Q&A Jason posted:

"Can Competition Package parts/software be retrofitted?

No, official retrofit support will not be provided by BMW here in the U.S. But, of course some parts can be retrofitted by individual owners if they went to enough lengths to do so. Some things would be easier of course, but steering and software would be difficult. The demand for retrofit is lower in U.S. due to the higher lease penetration and higher car turnover. In comparison, Europe supports retrofitting more than the U.S."
That sucks. The only thing I am interested in is the new steering rack
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
I drove the CP M5 yesterday and so far I am not sure if it's worth $6k. Sure the quicker steering is nice and car feels more planted but you can upgrade the suspension. I am really hoping that Dinan releases the new springs and their Shockware for the M5. This along with CP sway bars will be very very close to the actual CP package.

I would've ordered the CP package if I was purchasing now just so I don't have to deal with upgrading components on my own. Since I already own an M5 I think it's worth exploring other options especially since mine is a march 2013 build.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Exactly!
Straight line is always about horsepower
      09-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Admin - there looks to be 2x posts on this topic now. Happy for you to move the great reply I had in my post over to the other and delete mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
Can any of the competition package modifications be added to a pre lci m5 by bmw ?

You should use the "search" function. This (and lots of other stuff) can be found without re-posting.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...tition+package
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
That sucks. The only thing I am interested in is the new steering rack
Yes, this would be nice.
      06-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

I think the late model 2013 M5's and beyond all have the revised steering rack.
Appreciate 0