Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-03-2023, 01:38 PM   #1
Cinsbeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive AWD

Angry Just bought and Drivetrain Error and multiple oil leaks

Good afternoon.

I just bought my first 2011 535i xdrive AWD w 145k on it. Exterior and interior are mint! We drove it and seemed to run fine, except for some vibration on right front which dealer checked into and replaced the right front axle. I thought wow that's great!

I go back to purchase car 3 days later and start 1.5 hr drive home and within 5 miles the Drivetrain Error pops up on screen. I called dealer right away and he said hit the ok and if it goes away, you'll be fine to take it home and we'll get it back in and fix it. Don't worry he said, we'll take care of it and give you loaner. This dealership sells high end cars btw. So plan is to bring it Tuesday

So few days after I'm heading to store and notice comes up saying I'm low a quart of oil! How can this be when they just changed the oil and I've only driven 400 miles? I called him again and he said did you notice an oil leak where you park? No. Wasn't looking for one. So I went to Advanced, got oil, opened cap and there was caked up oil on the cap. Not milky. The opening was steaming. I put the oil in. Went to my local mechanic who looked everything over. I know I should have done that first but we were an 1.5 hrs away. Car looked and seemed great. 😞

My mechanic said and showed me: Intercooler for turbo is leaking. Head gasket starting to leak. Rear main seal leaking! Needless to say I'm very upset! Dealer offers 3 mos/3k mile wnty. Never said up to $1000 until I read over his paperwork. But he doesn't know I found all these issues. He has mechanics in his shop that knows BMW he said. Plus give discounts on work for customers.

I'm wanting him to fix all this since it was there before I bought it and it was a previous customer of his who traded it back in. Don't you think he would have looked it over? He did change the oil. If he refuses I feel I have a right to demand my money back!! I cannot be stuck with these costs and issues. I just wanted to treat myself to a nice car! Only other thought is the after market warranty company they suggest but that $3700 I don't have and feel he should add it in free! But, they won't fix prior conditions either.

I'm at a loss. Can't sleep. Don't know really best way to approach this. All I know is the head gasket will be $1500 alone! Any suggestions? Please no bashing. I'm doing best I can to not lose it. Female car girl 💔 😩
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      12-03-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Sorry to hear this and you don't want to hear this but a car with 145k miles should be given a long test drive, but it is what it is.
You need a knowledgable guy to go with you and barter a deal with the dealer I would have thought, if the cost is too high to get the engine roadworthy then another car of the same value should be offered by dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 04:24 PM   #3
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Sounds like a neglected German car to me. See if your state allows you to unwind the deal, some states allow you up to 7 days.

The dealer might moan and cry, but from a legal standpoint, they have to do it.

This car will cost you more in repairs than what you paid for it. An N54 engine needs pampering, which doesn’t sound like this one had any.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
Cinsbeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive AWD

I've had it for just about 2 wks. I read on some lawyer's website here in NC that we have a better chance when there's a warranty that's been offered and not sold "as is". I'm really praying to God he and his son will make this right one way or another. I so don't deserve all this. Ive been through SOOOO much, as I'm sure most have, I really shouldn't HAVE to deal with this! Just wanted a nice car. Guess I should have gone back to my Vette I had 7 yrs ago! Had it's issues but not THIS bad!

Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 08:00 PM   #5
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
This is what a pre-purchase inspection is for, and it’s always worth the money upfront. One hour of a shops labor is cheaper than all of those repairs and would have saved you both the frustration and money you’re about to spend to fix it ( or lose trading it back in). Hard lesson but an important one.