12-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #89
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88
The Caddy looks so tacky, I like the subtlety of the M5.

The V puts up very impressive numbers but we all know there is much more to the ownership experience of a car than how much hp and torque it makes. One trip to a Cadillac dealer will remind you of this.
Oh ain't the truth. I grew to hate my ATS more and more over the year I drove it. The dealer was half the hate and gm was the other. Too many problems, no solutions, and a dealership that's not been updated since the 70s.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #90
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Better question is why should the 6.2l enine not be stuffed in a caddy when its a grest engine. Much prefer it over the turbo v8 in bimmer for sounds and theatrics. Its more dense and lighter then V8 tt in M5. If u have a good engine why develop another to make bmw fan boys hapy. Also? Bmw stuffs the version if M5 in everything from SUVs to coupes to convertibles.

Some people will be fan boys of Bmw no matter what. I count myself among them but give credit to Caddy where it is due
Can you spell or what!!!!
      12-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #91
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

The ctsv will destroy the M5
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #92
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21 View Post
If caddy is serious. When do we see this in Europe. And if they do let's see how many they sell.
Hopefully they do sell it in Europe. But, them not selling it does not mean that that are not serious.
If Cadillac was not serious, then they would not have 3 generations of CTS-Vs. They would not have built a small number of CTS-V wagons. They would not have gone through the exercise of engineering these cars and testing on the Ring. And let's not forget that Cadillac has had a failed car that went up against the R230 SL55 AMG, it was the XLR-V. BMW does not have a direct competitor to the SL or at the time the SL55...but somehow, there was a Corvette chassis folding hardtop with a supercharged V8...that while yes, was a under performer, they at least had the balls to build a SL/SL55 competitor.

We all should be happy that Cadillac is actually putting forth some serious effort to shake the old stigma off. And those of us who are Americans should be happy that an American has come to play with the Germans. Competition improves the breed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #93
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Numbers don't really mean anything in isolation, how they drive and handle on twisty roads is far more important in everyday life - look forward to a full head to head review. At the moment, whilst the numbers are better IMO the CTS looks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #94
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Count me in as another person who just doesn't like the way the CTS-V looks. It's does look like it would be fun to drive but aesthetics are also important.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #95
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
The interior of the V makes the M5s look like a Toyota.
i dont even know what to say to this.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #96
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Not a huge fan of the looks of the Cadillac and if the interior is anything like the prior model definitely not a fan of that either; even taking price into consideration.

I love my M5 with DCT.

I do give CTS-V credit for upping the ante with the corvette engine and the numbers (stock) it will produce. This will result in increasing HP and performance by other automakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #97
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

Keep drinking it guys. The CTS-V makes the M5 look likes its from the '90's. Most people know the current M5 has been a failure. Too big, too heavy, too plush, too boring. BMW has been on a downward trend. Time to step it up. Out of the current crop of performance sedans, the M5 falls last. The E63, CLS63, RS7, and now the CTS-V are all ahead of the M5.
i cant believe you actually think that ridiculous looking thing is better looking than the m5. it looks like it could be the concept car for the last ctsv. thats how unimaginative it is. looks like a pure luxury vehicle, about as high as it is wide, zero sportiness.

what do you mean? of those cars, in the comparisons i saw the m5 was fastest, if you take away the AWD advantage. from a roll the m5 would easily pull away from the new e63. the rwd e63 is faster. im pretty sure the m m5 is faster from a roll than the rs7 too.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #98
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

With all due respect Scott, since u r our BMW insider, may I ask what symbol of history and heritage are u talking about that this current M5 hascontinued. .....ahhhh let me guess the one that starts with ever increasing weight and bloated newer model versions that don't even faintly point to the heritage or abandoning the sweet sounds emitted by the glorious Engines in favor of a mehhhh not that inspiring engine sounds. The steering helm that are more and more mute in regards to steering feel. Let's face it the competition has caught u guys while u guys r busy talking about history rather than reclaiming the future. Hope the next M5 has a high revving NA engine paired with electric motor and extensive use of Carbon fiber to drop the chunky fat M5 down in mass. Return some of that organic stuff back into steering department that makes u feel one
And more connected to the road and feels alive in your hands. Last but not least enough of the sedated boring conservative styling take some risk like u did with i8 in looks. Make the car look aggressive and part of a high performance 600hp club beast. The instrument cluster should be more customizable needs to be updated to more futuristic it's getting old tech there. I love BMW and a huge fan boy but others have caught up with the class leading icon for years now while BMW M was sleeping at the helm. Tell M make the new M5 king of the hill while keeping price at the level with likes of CTS-v

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
One is a symbol of history and tradition that transpires throughout the generations. Emphasising performance with innovation with every generation.

The other is a marketing exercise that emphasises numbers in order to gain a lead especially when there is no where on earth for the driver to exploit the car publically.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 12-23-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #99
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Thanks genius English teacher I am typing on a tiny cell phone u can deal with few typos without getting a bit picky. Well let's see great contribution by u in this discussion of cars, your pointing out my obvious typos really furthered the discussion at hand lol!!!!! Some people
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Can you spell or what!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #100
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Looks are subjective. M5 looks way better IMO, saving the ugly aftermarket looking wheels. Fanboys need to get over it, the CTS-V destroys the M5 in every single aspect, including handling, which isn't surprising since the F10 M5 has never been the benchmark among its competitors.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #101
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

This thread has descended into complete chaos and I feel like I am in the F8x forums.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #102
JeffDD2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

How many M5 owners genuinely cross-shop a CTS-V?? I applaud Caddy for dropping that motor in it, but I'd bet that most M5 owners have the E63 and S7 on their list a heck of lot higher than a CTS-V, no matter how much HP it has.
      12-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #103
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

It's all personal preference when it comes to looks. To me the F10 looks better than the CTS, more understated and classy than the CTS. But I can see how some feel the CTS is "meaner" looking. As far as performance, we will have to wait and see a side by side comparison, but I think the CTS will be faster. It's ok tho, when the G chassis M5 comes out, it will almost certainly be faster than the CTS.
      12-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #104
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

From these pictures there's no doubt the V is pretty ugly compared to the m5. But Im sure it will look much better in person. Stock for stock Im sure these cars will be quite similar in the straights. Question is, which one has more modding potential?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #105
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
i cant believe you actually think that ridiculous looking thing is better looking than the m5. it looks like it could be the concept car for the last ctsv. thats how unimaginative it is. looks like a pure luxury vehicle, about as high as it is wide, zero sportiness.

what do you mean? of those cars, in the comparisons i saw the m5 was fastest, if you take away the AWD advantage. from a roll the m5 would easily pull away from the new e63. the rwd e63 is faster. im pretty sure the m m5 is faster from a roll than the rs7 too.
And the M5 looks sporty? LOL. Talk about unimaginative and boring looking. If anything, the M5 looks like the luxury car compared to the sportiness of its competitors. Have another cup.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #106
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

My only concern with the F10M is the size of it. It definitely yields more for what you pay. It is a really nice executive sedan with some balls.

The v looks to not have much development in the looks department both interior and exterior. Knowing it has the Z06 DNA drives home that fact that it will be a great performer.

I think BMW learned a lesson in weight w the F10 and will instill weight loss as a driving factor in all future products.

At this time I can see a more mature crowd choose the M and a more edgy crowd choose the V.

Let's see what the G series brings.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #107
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Based on the numbers, the M5 will get eaten by the new CTS-V for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Drag or Track...

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #108
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

IMO, the CTS-V's exterior has too much of a loud American aesthetic that will limit its broader appeal in global markets, especially in Europe, where classy understatement holds more appeal in this segment. Time will tell.
Of more concern, is that Cadillac is part of GM, a highly beauracratic, political and dysfunctional organization.
      12-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #109
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Sounds menacing... Turn your volume up to enjoy!

Another video:

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT

Last edited by e92_m3; 12-23-2014 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Added another video...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #110
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
This thread has descended into complete chaos and I feel like I am in the F8x forums.
I agree.

I'm always happy to have competition. This new CTS-V will certainly perform very well. Personally, it's not something I will cross-shop when replacing my current M5. I'm just not crazy about the styling, and Cadillac has no prestige power over the German manufacturers. That may change over time, with future generations.

Cars are getting so powerful, that significant weight reduction is going to be necessary to have a controllable sedan/saloon. In the US, the power of the current M5 (and its competitors) is absurd for daily driving - I can't go but a few moments without looking like a lunatic. This new CTS-V will likely leapfrog the F10 M5's performance numbers, to be passed again by the G series M5. This cycle is nothing new. The big decision for BMW on the next M5 will be AWD (option or standard), as your average Joe driver likes the easy launchability of the RS7, E63s, etc.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0