Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Monticello Motor Club - experience?

Guys - anyone a member at Monticello Motor Club in NY? If so, can you share or PM me what you have liked / not liked, and how flexible are they with the membership initiation and annual dues. Thanks
http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/membership/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

PM'd ya
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I was actually curious about this, too - just came across them last night while searching for local track options. The initiation fees are not cheap - $40k - $125k. The annual dues thereafter are reasonable, I think, for the value you can extract. But the initiation fees - I don't know.

I'm also skeptical about how the model works. It seems like a fractional ownership model without the ownership - granted, your "license" (presumably your initiation fee buys your "license") is salable. They say they'll top out at something like 700 or so memberships, but they're only currently at 300-some-odd memberships. So, any experience regarding congestion, availability of the track(s), resources, etc, may be a moot point if membership increases 250% down the road. I guess I'm a bit skeptical regarding the large initiation fees and would prefer something with annual dues only - providing an easier option to switch gears if it doesn't work out.

But I, too, am curious about experiences - or alternatives in the NY/CT area that folks would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
PM'd ya
Thanks - replying back to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

I've been there. IMO, it's an awesome place for car enthusiasts or race enthusiasts. However the price is so expensive that it only applies to those that have soooo much disposable income that they can afford to pay that much and actually get the use out of it. For example, if you get the bronze membership, it's currently $40k up front and $3xxx per year. That gives you 12 track days annually. Well do you have the time for that many track days? The silver and gold member get better track day preferences. You only get 6 days that can be weekend days I believe. Then on top of that, do you have a track car? Can you afford the money it takes to maintain a track car? If not, no worries, rent their Miata for the day for only $1500. Or the Jag F-type for a $1000. I don't know how much the Cayman is.

I'm not bashing the place, it's truly awesome and the staff are really great guys. I hope one day I make enough money to join because it's a half hour from where I live. I just wanted to point out some factors that one must consider when taking this plunge. If the costs are not a concern for you, then good for you and if you have the time, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

All solid points. Its no different from a golf membership at a nice club. Price to pay for nice things in life - def not for everyone.

Would be nice to have a Nurburgring equivalent public road / course here that anyone can drive on.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've been looking into Lime Rock Driver's Club as well. It's considerably less expensive at the entry point - $16,500 initiation fee for their lowest membership and about $3,650 annual dues. It's a more modest number of track days (5 weekend and "unlimited weekday" but only when the Club has rented the track, which are few during the week), but it's probably more reasonable in terms of my schedule - there's NO way I'd be using even 5 weekends if I want to stay married.

I don't think you need to be concerned about a dedicated track car, though. The fun part in my eyes is taking your road car on the track... learning how to better handle it, its nuances at the limit, and just become that much better acquainted. Granted - I guess it depends on your road car. I'd be taking my R8, which would be right at home on a racetrack - only car I've ever owned where the owner's manual has dedicated sections that talk about preparing the car for track use versus the standard, "we'll void your warranty if you race this thing" language. Just the opposite, they're encouraging you to do it... and no nasty side effects on your warranty. The 550xi on the other hand shouldn't be going near a track under any circumstances.

It looks like Lime Rock allows you to do a stand-alone track day ($1,250) without joining the club. They'll refund it if you choose to join, so a bit of a try before you buy benefit. Honestly, that may be the best solution for someone like me anyway who may not get out there more than a few times per season - it would likely still work out cheaper than buying the lowest membership to just pay full price each track day and forego the continental breakfast.

Curious if others out here have bought membership at any of these clubs. Other options would be joining a non-affiliated driver's club that does a few events per season. The typical cost is then only a few hundred bucks per event, but you have little to no say over venue or timing.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass
I've been looking into Lime Rock Driver's Club as well. It's considerably less expensive at the entry point - $16,500 initiation fee for their lowest membership and about $3,650 annual dues. It's a more modest number of track days (5 weekend and "unlimited weekday" but only when the Club has rented the track, which are few during the week), but it's probably more reasonable in terms of my schedule - there's NO way I'd be using even 5 weekends if I want to stay married.

I don't think you need to be concerned about a dedicated track car, though. The fun part in my eyes is taking your road car on the track... learning how to better handle it, its nuances at the limit, and just become that much better acquainted. Granted - I guess it depends on your road car. I'd be taking my R8, which would be right at home on a racetrack - only car I've ever owned where the owner's manual has dedicated sections that talk about preparing the car for track use versus the standard, "we'll void your warranty if you race this thing" language. Just the opposite, they're encouraging you to do it... and no nasty side effects on your warranty. The 550xi on the other hand shouldn't be going near a track under any circumstances.

It looks like Lime Rock allows you to do a stand-alone track day ($1,250) without joining the club. They'll refund it if you choose to join, so a bit of a try before you buy benefit. Honestly, that may be the best solution for someone like me anyway who may not get out there more than a few times per season - it would likely still work out cheaper than buying the lowest membership to just pay full price each track day and forego the continental breakfast.

Curious if others out here have bought membership at any of these clubs. Other options would be joining a non-affiliated driver's club that does a few events per season. The typical cost is then only a few hundred bucks per event, but you have little to no say over venue or timing.
That's a good point about LimeRock. Paying a grand and change per track visit is not a bad option. I am also looking into the local motor clubs.

Haha - you put it well about staying married. I can maybe get away for 1-2 weekends without causing a storm at home.

Pay per use is not bad - looking at that more now. My cars for track would be m5 and Miata.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Theres also a track near Oneonta called New York safety track. (nyst.com)They are primarily motorcycle but they told me next season they will do cars once a month. It's $50 to become a member and $250 for a track day. I really enjoyed the track. Coincidentally it worked out awesome for me because I own a vacation home 1 mile away. Heres a youtube vid of me in my Carrera. You'll get a layout of the track.

Last edited by Pazzo009; 11-19-2014 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: a
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Theres also a track near Oneonta called New York safety track. (nyst.com)They are primarily motorcycle but they told me next season they will do cars once a month. It's $50 to become a member and $250 for a track day. I really enjoyed the track. Coincidentally it worked out awesome for me because I own a vacation home 1 mile away. Heres a youtube vid of me in my Carrera. You'll get a layout of the track.

Beautiful track!
      11-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Yes nice track.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87

Nice track! And you were hitting your apexes pretty well!

Thanks for sharing. We should do a track day here next year if there is interest. I can do anytime after June 1st :-)
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
Nice track! And you were hitting your apexes pretty well!

Thanks for sharing. We should do a track day here next year if there is interest. I can do anytime after June 1st :-)
They said they were going to do once a month starting May. I will try and go every month if I can. Keep checking their site if you join to find out what day their car day will be. Keep in touch, maybe I'll see you up there.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Looks like a nice track - Oneonta is up there! Looks like you were out there alone?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:

Nice track.
How much time/laps do you get for $250?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_M5 View Post
Nice track.
That day we had 2 bike classes and 2 car classes. 15 Minutes heats each. The $250 was for full day. 8 cars or so in each class.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_M5 View Post
Nice track.
That day we had 2 bike classes and 2 car classes. 15 Minutes heats each. The $250 was for full day. 8 cars or so in each class.
Thanx for the info
Appreciate 0