M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Explanation for offset secrecy among wheel manufacturers????

Can someone with knowledge on the topic (preferably wheel companies and/or vendors) please explain to me the reasoning behind the secrecy of any given wheel manufacturers offsets on all of the setups we see posted here everyday??? Is there some sort of competitive disadvantage to publicizing this info? Some (very few) dont hide the info and some (most) guard it as if its the Colonel's secret recipe and their business will ultimately end in bankruptcy should this information ever be revealed. Im just trying to understand both sides of the argument. As i look at all of the wheels we see posted, I'm always wondering about the specs and the answers seem so secretive. Why?

Thx in advance
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

The thought here is that while a chassis is new and few people have experimented with wheel sizing, knowing which sizes work and provide a great look gives a wheel manufacturer a competitive advantage. The manufacturer that can provide you a great look, fit, and tire size recommendation has knowledge that others don't.

This is an especially large factor with more expensive and rare cars. Because getting an SLR McLaren is costly and difficult, for example, the wheel manufacturer that has good sizes in their database has a legitimate advantage over their competition who might not know where to begin with a wheel order.

At IND our view is that sharing any and all available data is always beneficial not only to the consumer, but to the performance parts industry as a whole. Keeping wheel sizing a secret slows down development, and ultimately simply delays forward progress.

That is why we have openly discussed offsets and tire sizing in each thread displaying one of our own or our client's project cars, along with any other details of note. The more the community knows, the more quickly we'll all see better parts and better cars as a result.
      12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much for that response. It makes all the sense in the world when referring to rare and/or exotic cars. I get the whole competitive advantage theory. I agree with you in that the more knowledge the entire community has, the better off everyone is. If everyone knew what worked and more importantly, what didnt work, we'd ALL be better for it.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
sales@vivid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
The thought here is that while a chassis is new and few people have experimented with wheel sizing, knowing which sizes work and provide a great look gives a wheel manufacturer a competitive advantage. The manufacturer that can provide you a great look, fit, and tire size recommendation has knowledge that others don't.

This is an especially large factor with more expensive and rare cars. Because getting an SLR McLaren is costly and difficult, for example, the wheel manufacturer that has good sizes in their database has a legitimate advantage over their competition who might not know where to begin with a wheel order.

At IND our view is that sharing any and all available data is always beneficial not only to the consumer, but to the performance parts industry as a whole. Keeping wheel sizing a secret slows down development, and ultimately simply delays forward progress.

That is why we have openly discussed offsets and tire sizing in each thread displaying one of our own or our client's project cars, along with any other details of note. The more the community knows, the more quickly we'll all see better parts and better cars as a result.
Well put.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

All great responses and all from vendors and/or wheel companies. Exactly who I had hoped would participate in the thread. I thank you all very much for your responses. Answers all make sense and are as suspected.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0