Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
You can add me to the list. It started to whine a little around 4k miles and now at almost 6k it was real bad the other day. I hear the cold and such but I drove a pretty good distance and they should have been warmed up but were squealing from like 30mph to stop. I need to do more tests to see if it happens more after being wet or what. My vehicle is also one of the oil guzzlers...
+1. I have the same issue as well. Just hit 3K miles. Adding it to the laundry list of problems I have already had with my car.

I should have waited and got the Audi RS7
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
+1. I have the same issue as well. Just hit 3K miles. Adding it to the laundry list of problems I have already had with my car.

I should have waited and got the Audi RS7
The RS7 is nice but I think it will have it's growing pains as well. I had a S5 before I got the M6 and I had some production issues that was a pain in the arse. I'm starting to think that production issues is just a part of the game in anything under 200k. Atleast i want to believe that. I have been trying not to be too picky with the M6 but my laundry list is increasing as well. I don't have any other close option to run through as of yet. I need to hit the lottery for what I want.
      02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

I had about four recalls to deal with on my '10 S4, but still loved the car. Hopefully anyone buying the RS7 will be lucky re: 'issues'.
I have had not one maintenance/warranty issue on my M5 apart from the 1200 required service. Keeping my fingers crossed as I love this car.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I had about four recalls to deal with on my '10 S4, but still loved the car. Hopefully anyone buying the RS7 will be lucky re: 'issues'.
I have had not one maintenance/warranty issue on my M5 apart from the 1200 required service. Keeping my fingers crossed as I love this car.
Bish
I love the car as well when its not at my dealer being serviced. I pay a lot of money every month for this car. I am in technology sales. I understand things will break and nothing consumer related will be perfect. I come back to a statement I made a couple of months ago and thats how the brand addresses the issues when there are problems. I dont expect perfection but expect that BMW will stand behind their product and deal with a bad car. I have had six separate issues with my car since re-delivery in October.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but I know how Audi has treated several friends of mine when they had problematic cars. My CA and Dealer have been the only saving grace.

I still love ///M and would continue to endorse the brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
kona jack
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Update on squeaking brakes. Dealer installed new pads and rotors 2 weeks ago and I have not had any brake noise since. So apparently the problem is solved.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #28
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

I haven't drove it since last weekend. I need to pull it out to see if anything has changed as far as the sound. If not i think I may have to go to the new pad/rotor route like the rest.
      02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona jack
The head tech at my dealer drove the car and agreed it was terrible. They first cleaned the pads, but problem persisted. Took it back a second time and they replaced the pads. Still had the same problem. They then ordered in new rotors. They drove it and said it was fixed. I have driven it about 20 miles since and so far it's fine. Hopefully the new pads and rotors fixes the issue.
Got car back this afternoon so far so good. Service replaced front pads and rotors. However , Same part numbers as originals so.....?????
Unfortunately after only 200 miles on new pads and rotors squeal is back . Started on way to work at a low volume , now tonight back to an embarrassing level. What bulls---. I will be calling service manager first thing tomorrow morning to take car back . They will get one more crack at this then I go to BMW regional or higher.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
M5nut
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 LCI

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
2014 330d X Drive M ...  [0.00]
I have just done 250 miles on the car and experienced the squealing today. Drove on the motorway no hard braking and normal town driving. When stopping from 10mph to zero the squeal is very bad.

People turn around. Very embarrassing.

Will it go away given time?

Weather is normal in uk at present. So I don't think that is a contributing factor to the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Got m5 back yesterday from service. They cleaned everything and applied thin layer of brake paste to rotor The conference call with regional tech guru was useless in my view. They then drove car for 50 miles over 2 days to see if problem is gone. Yesterday and today no squeal . But we all kinda know (BMW service and me ) that I will be back.
One good thing is that they claim that this is not normal so next time I will be calling bmw customer service for a resolution. My feeling is that this is happening with a small percentage of m5's and they have 2 choices : 1) to continue replacing brake pads and rotors until a set "works" or declare the squeal a normal characteristic of the m5 . I won't be surprised if they take #2.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #32
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
My brakes don't squeek at all. Then again I drive the car hard every weekend almost. You guys need to drive your M5's harder! LOL!
Mine don't squeal one bit either. I also drive it very hard. I live in GA and the weather has been fairly cold the last week or two. Cold for us is in the 30's. Has not been consistently cold. Mostly nights and a few days. Average has been 40s and 50s. I don't think the temps are low enough to have effect. I have roughly 1800 miles on the car and have not heard even the slightest noise. Hope you guys get it sorted out. I am incline to think it may be temperature related, even if you are driving Long drives and thinking they are warmed up. In essence the disks probably are staying pretty cool being ventilated and driven in cold with wind blowing on them as you drive (this presumption would go away of course if you are frequently braking and causing heat as opposed to extended distances without braking). This could be way out in left field as far as theory but as we all have the same setup and some are experiencing zero issues I would assume it to be an outside factor.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer10 View Post
Got m5 back yesterday from service. They cleaned everything and applied thin layer of brake paste to rotor The conference call with regional tech guru was useless in my view. They then drove car for 50 miles over 2 days to see if problem is gone. Yesterday and today no squeal . But we all kinda know (BMW service and me ) that I will be back.
One good thing is that they claim that this is not normal so next time I will be calling bmw customer service for a resolution. My feeling is that this is happening with a small percentage of m5's and they have 2 choices : 1) to continue replacing brake pads and rotors until a set "works" or declare the squeal a normal characteristic of the m5 . I won't be surprised if they take #2.
The brake "paste" is applied to the backing plates of the pads btw, not the rotors.
Hope it stays quiet for you. 5200 miles on mine and never one squeal.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

With monster floating rotors, I think some squeaks and whistles are normal / unavoidable. Just tell people you have "racing brakes."

As noted above, the brakes are very good and quite capable on the track (at least for casual track day fun-- not sure about 10/10th sustained use). I was at Thunderhill yesterday and then stood up to hard use without fading or complaining. Just need to do some cool down cruising after a hot session as they will snap, crackle, pop and smolder if you don't!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Took mine to the dealer b/c of the brake squeal, but it wasn't happening when they drove it. I never heard any squealing until it was really cold a few weeks ago and I let it sit outside of a garage for most of the day. Since then, it's either been much warmer or I haven't taken it out of the garage. I'm guessing this has to do with the brakes being really cold. As a point of reference, I have driven 2400 miles since buying the car new. Just my $0.02...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #36
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

same here. Took car in and no squealing today while driving to dealer....Great...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #37
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
same here. Took car in and no squealing today while driving to dealer....Great...
Never fails huh?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
Never fails huh?
So true... Car has been squealing since day one
Appreciate 0