11-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFerrari View Post
It does?

The 740i (i.e. I'm not even talking about the longer 740iL) has a wheelbase of 120.9". The M5 has a wheelbase of 116.7". Not to mention the 740i's overall length exceeds that of the M5 by some 6.3".
It is the same platform. The RR Ghost also uses the same platform, albeit heavily modified.

The mark 5/6 VW golf and the current VW passat also share the same platform, so good example of platform sharing resulting in vastly different sized cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Personally I would be happy to see a power drop and a drop in weight. As much as I love the f10M, it is just too heavy and needs to lose some weight. The turn in and braking at the track, for me, is fraught.

I would be happy with a 1600kg 520 hp car. I think that would be great and would take ///M back to where it used to be, with less powered lighter and better handling cars than the competition.

I don't want to have to buy a Mercedes to get that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I bought it sight unseen. I committed to the car 8 months before it arrived in Australia. I drove it in Spain at the international launch, but It takes a while to get a sense of the car. But, I like the car. It is just too heavy to track. As a daily driver it is also too powerful to take advantage of everyday. Apart from the fact that I can fit the 3 kids in the back I would opt for something else.

Something lighter and more nimble would be better. I think most people would agree with that.

The problem is all cars are a compromise one way or another. The M5 is the right compromise for me at the moment. That doesn't stop me having an opinion in relation to the next M5.

If you are happy with your car then fine - good luck to you. To each their own.

I am only saying what I want to see in the next M5.

If you don't like what I have to say then that is an issue for you not me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
I bought it sight unseen. I committed to the car 8 months before it arrived in Australia. I drove it in Spain at the international launch, but It takes a while ringer a sense of the car. But, I like the car. It is just too heavy to track. As a daily driver it is also too powerful to take advantage of everyday. Apart from the fact that I can fit the 3 kids in the back I would opt for something else.

Something lighter and more nimble would be better. I think most people would agree with that.

The problem is all cars are a compromise one way or another. The M5 is the right compromise for me at the moment. That doesn't stop me having an opinion in relation to the next M5.

If you are happy with your car then fine - good luck to you. To each their own.

I am only saying what I want to see in the next M5.

If you don't like what I have to say then that is an issue for you not me.
I agree with you, but everybody needs to appreciate the f10 m5 for what it is, and for what it is is the best 4 door performance sedan in the world. You really can not beat the overall package other than AWD. I think the M5 is a blast to drive ! Again know what it is and respect it's limits. It really sounds like the new M3 might be for you.
I personally think the F10 M5 is a great track car. Yeah it's heavy, but it's still SO much faster on the track than the previous generation E60 M5, which was 3-400lbs lighter. I think it's just people's perception of the weight of the F10 M5 on the track that they don't like. I think it handles fantastic for what it is. I've never driven a 4,400 lbs car that is so incredibly easy to handle in the corners of a racetrack. A feat of engineering I say. The only thing I will say is that due to its weight on the racetrack, it eats through brakes and tires a little faster than a lighter car.

I gotta agree with FTC on this point though, and that is if you want a light high performance sedan for the track, the F80 M3, is going to be the weapon of choice. However, in my opinion, although the F80 M3 will be 900-1,000lbs lighter than the F10 M5, the M5 will still be the faster car on the track. People will get that perfect sense of nimbleness with the F80 M3 that they feel is missing from the F10 M5.

In the end, I'll always go back to what James May said of the F10 M5 and that is "it feels too heavy for the track and too fast for the street."

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
Interesting numbers. Maybe the f10 m5 is not as big as everybody cries about it being. These numbers show that it certainly is not as big as a 7 series. Maybe instead of everybody crying ( including car and driver,motortrend, and all the other brilliant car geek critics) about the size of the f10 m5 they should just buy m3's or go back to the E39 M5, instead of crying about weight and size. There are other options. And like somebody said to me once, " you knew what you were buying, stop whining".
FTC, I think you mis-read what some are saying. Some of us bought the car sight un-scene with no test drive so you can't many knew? I will keep my car because the negatives are very small in my opinion. The car does weigh the same as the 2001 740 which is not good 12 years forward. Some of the comments are nothing but board members observations which is why the board exist. BMW will clearly do something to address because they listen when they choose too. You too were questioning the weight once upon a time which is ok. It's a car, and we're not talking bad about someone's mom for heavens sake(:

My man from AUS was just making a reference nothing more, and was very helpful because he's in the same board has the one year plus owners. We took a risk, and I'm very happy with my choice overall minus the poundage. If the GC is still around when the next GEN comes out that will be my choice hands down as the M5 was the best option at the time. Needed 4 doors is why the M5 appealed to me so I can deal with until 2017. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bimmer 6 a lot of what you just said is perfectly legit. And I know you know what you are talking about when it comes to performance cars. I am not meaning to put anybody's opinions down about any bmw I am just playing devils advocate, but i will say this, even if you bought the m5 sight unseen(bad idea) you can still read the specs and do research before pulling the trigger. I test drove my m5, to be honest the exact one I ended up buying, and it has not disappointed me at all, whether I am driving aggressive on back roads or highway cruising. I can handle the size and weight. Actually I kind of like it. And yes I owned a e60 and I would not go back. Maybe a e39.
I hear you, I disagree with bad idea because you see the published weight on a car you have no idea who it handle and drive. You buy a car pm reputation; as I said I'm fine with my purchase if not I can sell my car and break even. ( bought less than ED invoice) so no issues there. Anytime you buy a launch car and do Euro Delivery it will be sight unscene. If I buy a GT3 it will be sight unscene that's what happens man when you buy the launch car.
Being the devil is fine, but some guys are sharing their experience which is different from mine of yours right. End the end it's all car talk.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again on the M6 grand coupe. At $ 142,000.00 build price I will stick with a M5, because I know there is not a $ 25,000.00 difference in performance.

Dude the M5 is 93k and the M6CG is 115k with a gap of 22k. The difference between the M3 vs. M5 is close to 30k. Your making a comparison on value for two different cars. Once you go over 100k on a car it's a relative, and most cases it's not a cost issue if so I would say that person bought the wrong car. There's no return on value for these cars except the fun factor. If you want return on a car the number of copies should be less than 500, and there could be upside. GT3 4.0 RS sold for about 240k two years ago, and will fetch 300k easy now with about 5k miles. Just my two cents on cars we're lucky to have.

Last edited by Bimmer6; 11-02-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

I swear I can hear Bimmer6 beating his head against the wall.
      11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #31
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
I swear I can hear Bimmer6 beating his head against the wall.
Not yet(: Waiting for it to warm up in GA so I can go wash the cars, and take one for a spin nice day out. BTW love your new M5 ...........
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #32
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Not yet(: Waiting for it to warm up in GA so I can go wash the cars, and take one for a spin nice day out. BTW love your new M5 ...........
thanks, I'd love it more if it were here... been sitting awaiting trucking at the VPC since monday!
      11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
DMC126
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5/2013 M5 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah it's heavy, but it's still SO much faster on the track than the previous generation E60 M5, which was 3-400lbs lighter.
Correction, 188 pounds lighter. E60 M5 4,090 lbs. F10 M5 4,288 lbs.
Appreciate 0