M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
recentrisk
Rep
Drives: M5

Is anyone else worried? (Car & Driver 535 review)

Has anyone read the new Car & Driver comparison between the 535i, the new Infiniti M37 and Audi A6 3.0T? The 535i came in LAST PLACE!!!! The major issue was loss of steering feel, which has always been a strong point of BMWs. I assume the M5 will have a completely revamped steering mechanism? Does anyone have any info on this? I am starting to worry about the sporty-ness of my new M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
E in Phila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I drove a 545 and I think the Car & Driver review was spot on. The car was fast, but felt detached. It was too quiet, the steering felt numb, and it had an auto tranny which added to the sense of luxury over sport.

That said, I would think the M treatment would solve most of those problems. What it won't solve is that the new 5 is quite a large car... as the salesman told me it's more a small 7 than a large 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E in Phila View Post
I drove a 545 and I think the Car & Driver review was spot on.
ATM the F10 doesn't come in '545i'. So I guess you drove it's predecessor the E60?

About the C&D verdict. Drive the F10 a bit more than just a few hours and you'll see the F10 hasn't lost its pedigree, au contraire.You just HAVE TO GET USED TO the electric steering.
I've done 2000 miles with this car and tomorrow I'm taking it for a spin to Brussels, Luxemburg, Bern(CH), and Siena(I). Highwayexpress.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
E in Phila
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
ATM the F10 doesn't come in '545i'. So I guess you drove it's predecessor the E60?

About the C&D verdict. Drive the F10 a bit more than just a few hours and you'll see the F10 hasn't lost its pedigree, au contraire.You just HAVE TO GET USED TO the electric steering.
I've done 2000 miles with this car and tomorrow I'm taking it for a spin to Brussels, Luxemburg, Bern(CH), and Siena(I). Highwayexpress.

Cheers
Robin
Actually, I fell back on old terminology... it was a 550.

I certainly didn't drive it enough to fully pass judgement, but there a few things I didn't like. It was too quiet for me. Although in that segment I realize quiet is generally considered a virtue, I would have liked more V8 sound on hard acceleration. The auto transmission felt like an auto transmission... and I have a strong preference for stick (easily remedied when ordering the car). And then the steering, which at least in my brief drive felt a bit numb. It's a very large car, and felt it.

Part of the problem is the last 5 I had was an E39 M5. Certainly I can't expect the 550 to be as raw, but I have to say the driving experience underwhelmed me overall. Make it a stick, with a bit more sound and a bit tighter steering feel and my response would have been very different. A sport version of the car would probably fix all my complaints.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Actually, I fell back on old terminology... it was a 550.

I certainly didn't drive it enough to fully pass judgement, but there a few things I didn't like. It was too quiet for me. Although in that segment I realize quiet is generally considered a virtue, I would have liked more V8 sound on hard acceleration. The auto transmission felt like an auto transmission... and I have a strong preference for stick (easily remedied when ordering the car). And then the steering, which at least in my brief drive felt a bit numb. It's a very large car, and felt it.

Part of the problem is the last 5 I had was an E39 M5. Certainly I can't expect the 550 to be as raw, but I have to say the driving experience underwhelmed me overall. Make it a stick, with a bit more sound and a bit tighter steering feel and my response would have been very different. A sport version of the car would probably fix all my complaints.

I'd say: F10 M5.

Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
E in Phila
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
I'd say: F10 M5.

Problem solved.
Oh believe me... I'm salivating over the prospect of that thing!

We'll have to see how the markets, childrens' tuitions, and so forth play out before I can dare to dream too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Quote:
We'll have to see how the markets, childrens' tuitions, and so forth play out before I can dare to dream too much.
Children's tuition? Hey,let them get football scholarships!
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
E in Phila
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Children's tuition? Hey,let them get football scholarships!
They're little girls, so I'm going to need another plan besides football! I like the concept though.
Appreciate 0