M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-28-2023, 01:19 PM   #1
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Body roll issue

2013 Comp pack (tuned). A few months back I began noticing unusually pronounced body roll on uneven road surfaces - when accelerating hard both in a straight line and going into a corner. Some testing revealed excessive wear on the right front shock.

I fitted a KW v3 coilover kit assuming that would resolve the body roll issue while improving the handling characteristics of the car.

Car feels more planted and I'm happy with the kit but the body roll issue is still present. Switching tires with those that came off a mate's M5 made no difference, so it's not a tire issue.

The BMW dealer I use is at a loss, as am I. I don't wish to throw money at the problem (for example by replacing control arms) in the hope that I'll strike gold but I don't know where to from here.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 03:54 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

So many control arms on these that it just needs one arm with a worn bushing that's hard to spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 04:56 AM   #3
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
So many control arms on these that it just needs one arm with a worn bushing that's hard to spot.
I hear you. I would not like to have to replace all of the control arms in the hope that this will resolve the issue. As you can imagine, this is an expensive exercise. I would like to think that there is a more sensible way of troubleshooting the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 02:06 PM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm55 View Post
I hear you. I would not like to have to replace all of the control arms in the hope that this will resolve the issue. As you can imagine, this is an expensive exercise. I would like to think that there is a more sensible way of troubleshooting the problem.
I say that b/c some time ago someone over here had that problem with a '16 Comp that was hard to solve, his was still under warranty and turned out it was a bottom control arm bushing after dealer fully investigated and had arm replaced. The other side was done also while he was at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

I would add he tracked it hard at a disused airstrip nearly every weekend.
Appreciate 0