BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

How many are going to the F90 M5?

Just curious. How many will trade from the F10 M5 to the F90? and how soon?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

I may need a DD car... lol
Appreciate 1
Richy Rich3169.00
      10-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

no. i think i'm going to be over this whole new tech, boat sized sports car stuff after my current m5.

going to get something raw, and challenging to master.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBD

no doubt the F90 will be dope. For me personally, I also want something RAW like the GT3 RS.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer6631.50
      10-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Yeah, was thinking about replying earlier and say... I think after the F10 M5, everyones trying to experience something lighter, more agile... good thing we got a bit over a year or 2 before hopping back into the M5 (F90) lol
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

viper. there will never be a car like it. i'm actually foaming at the mouth thinking about having an NA v10 that weighs so little. I'm ready for my spine to be ripped out
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

After the f10 M5 I also want something lighter and raw. I'm looking for a e46 m3 6 speed that I can use for the track.
      10-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #8
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

I will wait and see how it turns out (my M5 is only a year old) - so happy to wait for the LCI. If not, possibly an RS6 or E63
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:32 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

First of all the G30 chassis is now too big. Second there is no way that M is going to be able to produce an M5 that cuts the weight so that it is any more than 250lbs lighter than the F10 M5. Third, there is no doubt that it will best the F10 M5 in every measurable way. I have no desire for a bigger car than the F10 chassis, the F10 is already big enough for an M5. Besides they are using the same damn engine configuration as in the F10 M5, where's the excitement in that? The only things that have me excited about the next M5 is all of the tech that it's going to get. The next M6 on the other hand, is a different story. Also the Pre-LCI G80 (F90) M5's are once again going to have horrible residual values for the first couple years of production, there's no way I'm playing that game again. If I ever get another M car it's going to be an LCI model with the Comp Package and all the options with great residuals.

Appreciate 2
Kritz9.00
      10-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #10
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

Next M5

I'll buy after the LCI and comp package arrives. Early adopters of ///M cars tend to miss the good stuff. Been there - done that.... never again
      10-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

I was at the Thermal Club earlier this month, attending BMW M track days, and tried all the M cars back to back. Started with the M4 in a timed auto cross and then drag raced the M5, M6 Coupe & convertible, and X6M. After that we went on the technical track and played chase the leader in the M2. Lastly, went on the faster track and played chase the leader in the M3, where in the straights we were hitting 130mph. It was a fun day and glad I was invited by BMW to attend. It really exposed me to all the M lineup and its driving characteristics.

I would rule out the X6M on mere size and noticeable turbo lag, but once it gets going it's one scary and powerful machine that defy the laws of physics. I don't get high performing SUV's, but the car shocked me.

The M5 was bleh. As much as I love my car, it felt the most insulated and artificial sounding of the bunch. It is comfortable, fast, and can handle for its size, but inside I didn't feel the rawness of its smaller siblings.

The M6 was the biggest surprise for me. It has the same engine as the M5, but the rush I felt and the note from the exhaust was visceral. My friend who drives an F80 M3, was pleasantly surprised at how the M6 coupe felt and sounded. It was the clear winner, in my book, in the drag race segment and exhaust note.

The M2 was the most fun, nimble, and raw. I was amazed at how this little thing handled, the crackle and pop of the exhaust, and the noise I was able to hear through the cabin. The only downside was the cabin and how it felt cheap. On the technical track, the M2 was accurate and communicated well with the driver. I would love to have the m2 as DD around the city.

The M3 and M4, both struck a good balance between comfort, luxury, and raw experience. With the full leather package, it felt high quality and looked very sporty. The car felt special because it looked the part. With bulging wheel arches, dome hood, CF roof, it didn't look like a regular 3 series. The exhaust I grew to love, despite the metallic sounding rasp, it penetrated the cabin and crackled and popped at times. I felt like I was driving a sports car, compared to the M5, where you feel insulated from its performance potential.

From this experience, I would consider either the M3/M4 for its practicality and performance. If I wanted to stay in the M5 realm, I am considering the newly redesigned Panamera 4S or waiting to see the next M6 or M6gc. Considering the price point of either the 4S / M6 and its depreciation, I may just sacrifice practicality and go for a 911 4S.
Appreciate 1
M5essex641.50
      10-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23 View Post
I was at the Thermal Club earlier this month, attending BMW M track days, and tried all the M cars back to back. Started with the M4 in a timed auto cross and then drag raced the M5, M6 Coupe & convertible, and X6M. After that we went on the technical track and played chase the leader in the M2. Lastly, went on the faster track and played chase the leader in the M3, where in the straights we were hitting 130mph. It was a fun day and glad I was invited by BMW to attend. It really exposed me to all the M lineup and its driving characteristics.

I would rule out the X6M on mere size and noticeable turbo lag, but once it gets going it's one scary and powerful machine that defy the laws of physics. I don't get high performing SUV's, but the car shocked me.

The M5 was bleh. As much as I love my car, it felt the most insulated and artificial sounding of the bunch. It is comfortable, fast, and can handle for its size, but inside I didn't feel the rawness of its smaller siblings.

The M6 was the biggest surprise for me. It has the same engine as the M5, but the rush I felt and the note from the exhaust was visceral. My friend who drives an F80 M3, was pleasantly surprised at how the M6 coupe felt and sounded. It was the clear winner, in my book, in the drag race segment and exhaust note.

The M2 was the most fun, nimble, and raw. I was amazed at how this little thing handled, the crackle and pop of the exhaust, and the noise I was able to hear through the cabin. The only downside was the cabin and how it felt cheap. On the technical track, the M2 was accurate and communicated well with the driver. I would love to have the m2 as DD around the city.

The M3 and M4, both struck a good balance between comfort, luxury, and raw experience. With the full leather package, it felt high quality and looked very sporty. The car felt special because it looked the part. With bulging wheel arches, dome hood, CF roof, it didn't look like a regular 3 series. The exhaust I grew to love, despite the metallic sounding rasp, it penetrated the cabin and crackled and popped at times. I felt like I was driving a sports car, compared to the M5, where you feel insulated from its performance potential.

From this experience, I would consider either the M3/M4 for its practicality and performance. If I wanted to stay in the M5 realm, I am considering the newly redesigned Panamera 4S or waiting to see the next M6 or M6gc. Considering the price point of either the 4S / M6 and its depreciation, I may just sacrifice practicality and go for a 911 4S.
I did the M Track Day Event too. It was short but fun. Getting to drive all of the cars makes you realize though that there can never be one car that can be an all-in-one car. The M2 can never do what an M5 can do and vice-versa. Everybody has different tastes with different needs. I found the M2 a fun car to drive but I'd rather own a Cayman GTS or GT4 if I didn't have a need for back seat or trunk in the M2. Each car has something that it's really good at. You can 't transport 4-5 people in complete sporty luxury in an M2 as you can an M5. Nor can you hope to produce better lap times in a 2 ton sedan than you can in a real sports car.

As for the next M5 it will be exactly what it needs to be, better than its predecessor but not better than a Porsche GT3, at least performance wise.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #13
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I might. But getting an M4 after my current M5.
Appreciate 1
EdM54066.00
      10-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #15
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

I just got my 2014 comp M5 lol.

But i agree, coming from a coilovered e92 to this, I wouldn't mind something more "raw" in the future but of course I'll keep my f10 M5 as well for a daily, it's too comfortable and the power is there.
      10-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #16
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

did the track day as well, here in miami.

m2 was horrible. the worst, i'd say actually
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #17
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Rear end does not look convincing

But we'll wait and see when the production M5 comes out in a few years time...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #18
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

I really despise the design cues of the rear taillights of these newer BMW models - I feel like it is about moving 3 steps backwards in direction versus a more progressive design. Audi is becoming more progressive than BMW to say the least.
      10-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #19
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

It depends, if they have a MT, ill think about it. Otherwise this would be my last M5.
09 Ferrari SCUDERIA Rosso Corsa
23CayenneGTSCoupe
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportDC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

I really despise the design cues of the rear taillights of these newer BMW models - I feel like it is about moving 3 steps backwards in direction versus a more progressive design. Audi is becoming more progressive than BMW to say the least.
I kind of feel this way too. I like the direction of the new A4 and A5. The next A6 will be interesting for sure.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #21
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Case in point.

2018 Audi A6.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #22
Cubicinches
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I'm on the fence based on what I know now. I'm inclined to go back to a pure sports car because the M5, although a great car, is still a large sedan and I don't need the rear seats. The biggest concern I have is that the new 5-Series is pretty boring looking. I'm disappointed that BMW took such a conservative approach to the design. And the interior isn't as attractive as those of Mercedes or Audi. I think Mercedes, especially in the AMG models, does a great job making an attractive, yet sporty, interior. The interior of the new 5-Series is too angular and masculine looking. And the exterior (and interior) is too similar to the current car; looks more like a mid-cycle refresh than a new car. I think BMW made the same mistake with the current 3-Series and with the new 7-Series. Both are very "safe" designs, look too similar to the predecessor models, and don't move car design forward or take any risks. I'm hoping BMW makes the new M5 far more aggressive than the standard car and redesign the panels so that it truly looks different from a standard 5-Series. I think AWD will be a great addition, though it will add weight. And I'd like to see a big bump in HP that puts it solidly ahead of the competition.

Last edited by Cubicinches; 10-27-2016 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0