M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
RoboM5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 - Space Gray

Front Wheel Clicking Noise.

The front wheels click when I turn hard either direction at slow speeds and high speed (listening next to a wall with window open). I took the car to the dealer to have the bearings checked, nothing was wrong and they repacked the bearings with grease, which fixed for a few weeks, then it started again. I took the car to ESS and they said the bearing were good too, but the clicking went away again for a few weeks. I asked the instructors at the BMW driving school and they said all of the cars do it, but it doesn't bother them... Then it dawned on me it may be the torque on the wheels.

I decided to torque the wheels myself to 105 lbs and the problem goes away for a while. Now I torque the wheels anytime I do driving event and the problem has been solved.

Fyi, I have Mach Snell spacers, but my friend has the same problem with his car and no spacers.

Current ///M: '19 F90 M5CP Donnington Grey/CCB/MPE/MP full carbon
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I've had this problem on and off on my e60 m5, BMW can't find a cause. What do you mean by torque the wheels? Sorry my technical knowledge is limited.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
RoboM5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 - Space Gray

IshR Tighten the wheels with a torque wrench.

Current ///M: '19 F90 M5CP Donnington Grey/CCB/MPE/MP full carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
SAMIAM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

I had this problem as well on a 2014 M5, they cleaned and repacked the bearings, lasted for a while but is now back. I went to get it done again, and there's a new service bulletin and part to address it, which they have ordered. Does anyone have access to the BMW database? It appears to be "SIB 34 05 15 Ticking Noise from the Front Axle When Cornering". It would be interesting to see the complete service bulletin. The ordered part is "FRICTION SPACERS FOR BEARING/ROTOR."
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
SAMIAM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

BMW M5 Front Wheel Clicking SOLVED

Had the spacers installed today, and it is gone. The technical bulletin reads:

"A ticking noise from the front axle when cornering, maneuvering, parking, or pulling away from a parking space. The noise can be heard as a metallic ticking from the area of the front wheels. The noise is caused by movement between the inner contact surfaces of the brake disc and drive flange of the wheel bearing hub. The friction washers will stop this movement between these two components."

The spacers are very thin metal inserts.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Had the spacers installed today, and it is gone. The technical bulletin reads:

"A ticking noise from the front axle when cornering, maneuvering, parking, or pulling away from a parking space. The noise can be heard as a metallic ticking from the area of the front wheels. The noise is caused by movement between the inner contact surfaces of the brake disc and drive flange of the wheel bearing hub. The friction washers will stop this movement between these two components."

The spacers are very thin metal inserts.
I wouldn't celebrate yet, spacers are temp fix and clicking will come back. Long threads here:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1143328

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1313484
      10-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
Wheel man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Garage List
I had a similar issue and figured out that my metal brake disc plate was bent while removing my wheels. I have carbon ceramic brakes which leaves only and inch of space all the way around the wheel. So now I lift the wheel off the hub instead of letting it fall onto rotors. I pushed the plate away from the rotor back into place and the noise was gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #8
evanaswan
Yngwie J Malmsteen
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 GC - G07 X7

2017 X5m 5k miles

Clicking started last week. Taking in tomorrow there better be a fix
Appreciate 0