BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
acedaking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M5, 10 M6, 13 M5, 14' M6-CP

Hit and Run

is it possible to find someone's information from their license plate number?
luckily someone was kind enough to leave the plate number of the person who hit me..
is it possible to get someone's info from their plate number?

meanwhile.. i ordered a comp pack m6 back in may and the ship that it is on is set to dock on july 24th.. im not sure what to do, I was trading in my M5.. should i trade it in as is with the damage or get it fixed before hand?

Last edited by acedaking; 07-14-2013 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Yes. Just report it to the police and they will take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
acedaking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Yes. Just report it to the police and they will take care of it.
how does this answer my question?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep

The police have access to the plate owner's info. Were you trying to figure this out on your own?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep

Privately, there's probably no way unless you have connections to law enforcement or insurance agencies:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1183112AAFBN1j
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
acedaking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
The police have access to the plate owner's info. Were you trying to figure this out on your own?
something along those lines.. i already filed the police report. I rather go after the individual's insurance company personally rather than notify my insurance company and have to wait for the process to play itself out. I don't want an accident to appear on my driving record. NY is a no fault state so even if someone hits you its still reported on your driving record
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Fill out a police report. If the person who wrote down the info left their ph no. The agency will contact them to come in and fill out an official report. Then you can file a cival suit for your damages providing the plate info comes back to the update address. Plate info shows the registered owner info, warrants on that plate, last time pulled over and a couple of other things. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedaking View Post
luckily someone was kind enough to leave the plate number of the person who hit me..

meanwhile.. i ordered a comp pack m6 back in may and the ship that it is on is set to dock on july 24th.. im not sure what to do, I was trading in my M5.. should i trade it in as is with the damage or get it fixed before hand?

Quote:
something along those lines.. i already filed the police report. I rather go after the individual's insurance company personally rather than notify my insurance company and have to wait for the process to play itself out. I don't want an accident to appear on my driving record. NY is a no fault state so even if someone hits you its still reported on your driving record

Finding out on your own is very tough unless you call on people who will use their access to the DMV database whereas they are not supposed to.
Perhaps talk to a PI that will cost you...

When you say it will be on your driving record, are you thinking of your driver's license?
If so, are you sure?

Your insurance company can find the person with the license plate. Talk to them and have them go after that person.
However, if that person is a dirtbag, they can simply deny they did it or throw a curve ball like saying yes it's their car but they weren't driving it at that time etc.

Did the person who left you the note, also leave their contact info? That's the eye witness you need and it will change everything in your case.

You are in NYC, I don't expect the cops to do much. They'll gladly hand out a ticket but they'll never get off their ass to assist you in a case like this... they don't care.
But you'll need the Police Report to proceed with the insurance.

Last edited by v12; 07-14-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Discuss a the scenario with your insurance company to validate it will not adversely impact your policy so that you can make an educated decision as to whether or not it is worth filing a report/claim on your policy.

Last edited by E90076; 07-14-2013 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Report it to both the police and the insurance company. The insurance company should hopefully track down the hit and runner with the plate.

I think you may need the name and number of the witness who left the note to make it stick.

Your trade-in will likely get hit by $10-15k. Good thing is if the dealer can document that if they low-ball you, you will have a solid case for diminished value from insurance.

I hope they jail the person who did the hit and run. That kind of thing is rampant, and it seems like very normal people do it these days. Quite frankly I wouldn't care if it was a single mom whose kids end up in foster care - a hit and run perpetrator should be punished.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
No fault state - what a fucking joke. Somebody should round up the politicians in that state and machine gun them in the spirit of cleaning up the gene pool.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
acedaking
Private First Class
Rep

How do I post a picture. I'm on an iPhone
Appreciate 0