M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

Suspension Clunk - SIB 33 01 13

There have been some previous threads on this, but just wanted to quickly share my experience.

I noticed a "loose" sounding/feeling rear suspension (like a loose tool bouncing around in the trunk) when driving around the streets of downtown Raleigh, NC after first getting my car. The streets there are like the surface of the moon. I researched the possible issue on M5post and found the SIB PDF, printed it out, and took it in to my dealer. When the car was with them the first time, they couldn't duplicate it -- obviously, and should have been my expectation. The second time, however, I took the shop foreman for a ride. We drove around for about 15 minutes over varying road surfaces, and I couldn't duplicate. As a final test, I found a large amount of speed bumps in an apartment complex. It only took 1 speed bump for the sound to occur, then repeated on every single other one we drove over.

They ordered the SIB parts that same day, and I have an appointment scheduled next week to get the rear springs, bump stops and various nuts/bolts replaced (as outlined in the SIB).

In summary -- if you think you have the issue and the dealer doesn't, just find some speed bumps.

Good luck.
Brad
      05-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Thunder43
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

This was very helpful, as I also noticed this on my 13. Took it in for some minor a pillar rattles and also asked them to look at this. They are ordering parts today, no questions asked.