Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #45
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Regarding the E39, I am struggling on what to do with my 180k mile example, it needs many items and hard to justify doing anything about them due to age and lack of value. But damn do I love driving it! Drove my wifes loaner 328i for a few days and smiled my whole drive to work once back in the M5.

I assume the plan to continue with the S63tu is many sided, one being that they don't want another 3 year gap in model years.

I am not a fan of the screen sticking up, I prefer the smooth look, but its not a deal breaker for me. Atleast it is in the general viewing range, E39 is so low in dash it isn't nearly as nice to use as the newer ones.
Overall design is more important than individual thing like that.

Matt
Yeah in the grand scheme of things, little things like the floating navi-screen, certain interior and exterior design bits won't really matter as much to the overall car.

Yeah that's a tough one about the E39 you have though. I guess it just really depends on what you want. Sometimes it's more economical to keep an old car running if repairs cost more than the car is worth, depending on the car of course. If you had an old car that was just beat to hell, I'd say get rid of it, but the E39 M5 is really special in its own right. Best to keep as many as possible on the road since their numbers are dwindling by the year. Same with the E60 M5 I think.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #46
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Have to say this but those floating LED/LCD screen will become the norm design. the positive thing about these floating screen is the resolution is much improved than what we currently have. I dont think it will look bad but I have to see the whole package.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #47
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

If it has AWD option I will get it, if not, I am really tired of having little traction when needed! Likely wet asphalt and you are making a turn and suddenly you see a car approaching very fast, and you feel like you're in a nightmare where a lion is gonna eat you and you just can't budge!! I am done with this,,, fun yeah, all the time NO!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #48
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I don't really care about the screen. What concerns me is the tone set by the 7.

The 7 looks boxy - it's like an old Volvo. It's lost the sexy curves that the F-series cars had. Plus the interior is hardly class leading - I would say both the S Class and Jag XJ interiors are more appealing than the new 7.

So I don't hold out much hope for the design of the next M5.

On performance side I would expect it to be class leading, but only if it has AWD. However latest word is it won't have AWD so that means it won't be class leading - at least not in acceleration and in usability by a guy like me.

On the tech side - we already know it's tech won't be advanced. They are leaving out the latest safety innovations that Mercedes and Tesla have been pushing.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #49
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

After talking to Dave yesterday and the first time seeing a M5 in my driveway for 9 months (after 6 years of ownership), I couldn't imagine a BIGGER M5. The move from E60 to F10 IMHO was a big step up in weight and size. Why bigger, even if it weighs less?

I am quite bummed I don't have a ///M-car in the stable and anxiously await what the next-gen M5 will look like. Who knows, as a DD it may be worth it - but I too want to see what the next M6 is all about, especially if they release a GC variant.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #50
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo
After talking to Dave yesterday and the first time seeing a M5 in my driveway for 9 months (after 6 years of ownership), I couldn't imagine a BIGGER M5. The move from E60 to F10 IMHO was a big step up in weight and size. Why bigger, even if it weighs less?

I am quite bummed I don't have a ///M-car in the stable and anxiously await what the next-gen M5 will look like. Who knows, as a DD it may be worth it - but I too want to see what the next M6 is all about, especially if they release a GC variant.
Right on Cibo! .

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #51
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33
To the poster above stating there are better cars out there - I'd like to know what you think they are. Please don't say Cadillac, Audi or Jag. Not one of them compares in fit, finish, refinement and performance. Not to mention they depreciate like nobody's business. Porsche and Benz are purely subjective and if you want AWD they are good alternatives. The former is overpriced and hideously ugly and the latter is not a better car than the M5. Great car for sure - better - no.
Audi's have great fit and finish. See any of the recent examples? However, Steering is just strange.

AMG - fit and finish is super. Car is a beast. Cabin tech is dated. I would love to get the E63 next time around.

Porsche - saw spy shots of next gen Panamera. Still butt ugly.

Floating Nav screens - don't think it's a big deal. It's less pretty but more functional given its more at the same level as your line of sight. However, with pretty much everyone going the route of HUD's not sure why we also need a floating Nav screen. Just make HUD powerful / versatile enough to handle everything for Nav / infotainment.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0