Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstepy View Post
Exactly... Never considered it while getting ready to pull the trigger on the M5. While a great car in its own right I just can't get over the limit of range. Yes 300 miles is quite a bit but I like getting into my M5 and know I can drive anywhere in the country without stressing over where to plug in.

Example my buddy brought over his family in his new Ford Focus Electric... He asked if he could plug in so he could get back home after our BBQ. Plugged into my standard 120V for almost 5 hours he got an additional 6 miles. I was busting up... He didn't run the AC on way home and made it.

I agree its the future but just not ready yet to make the jump.
I agree. The infrastructure is a long way off from being ready to support the technology (and this is coming from perhaps the "greenest" city in the US).

For example, most parking meters in the city have only recently (last 1-2 years) been upgraded to accept credit cards! If it took that long to roll out a technology that has been in place for dozens of years, just imagine how long retrofitting something much more substantial would require.

I couldn't even begin to guess how long it will take the private sector to make charging stations massively accessible, and that's before even considering the public sector. My office building, one of the most prominent downtown, only has a few charging stations (and they already have many more electric cars than they can accommodate daily) and they charge to use them. Imagine how much engineering and renovation work would go into making these available in private lots everywhere, let alone the average street parking spot in the city! Not to mention, where are we supposed to draw all of that additional power from?

Focusing on the charging stations doesn't seem to be the solution. Battery tech need to make a big breakthrough (and my understanding is that there hasn't been much since Lithium ion - many of these cars just increase the size/amount of them). Otherwise, households buying EVs will (in my opinion) continue to require a secondary, gas-powered, vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Meh. They look OK. The technology in the car is actually pretty cool. But really, but they are still electric and IMHO it just screams glorified golf cart to me. I'll take an internal combustion engine, thank you.

Hey Tesla owners...while you discuss the merits of electric and hybrid ownership with your Prius friends and the M5army rolls past the charging station get your ear plugs out
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
jstepy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Not to mention what to do with the batteries once they are dead?

Hey I'm doing my part for the planet... Got solar panels on my roof but electric cars not yet for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb5183 View Post
I agree. The infrastructure is a long way off from being ready to support the technology (and this is coming from perhaps the "greenest" city in the US).

For example, most parking meters in the city have only recently (last 1-2 years) been upgraded to accept credit cards! If it took that long to roll out a technology that has been in place for dozens of years, just imagine how long retrofitting something much more substantial would require.

I couldn't even begin to guess how long it will take the private sector to make charging stations massively accessible, and that's before even considering the public sector. My office building, one of the most prominent downtown, only has a few charging stations (and they already have many more electric cars than they can accommodate daily) and they charge to use them. Imagine how much engineering and renovation work would go into making these available in private lots everywhere, let alone the average street parking spot in the city! Not to mention, where are we supposed to draw all of that additional power from?

Focusing on the charging stations doesn't seem to be the solution. Battery tech need to make a big breakthrough (and my understanding is that there hasn't been much since Lithium ion - many of these cars just increase the size/amount of them). Otherwise, households buying EVs will (in my opinion) continue to require a secondary, gas-powered, vehicles.
Actually the technology is closer than you think.

http://www.techfever.net/2013/05/tee...tery-charging/

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Actually the technology is closer than you think.

http://www.techfever.net/2013/05/tee...tery-charging/
This tech is a *long* way from getting in to your electric car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

saw a million Model S' recently on my trip to SF. that's what happens when you have government subsidies...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstepy View Post
I live in the Huntington Harbour area of Orange County and it seems to be the Mecca of the Tesla S. I used to think the Tesla S was pretty cool but today alone I saw 10 Models S's while running errands. They are so common here it's becoming a little annoying. I've had my m5 for 4 months and yet to come across an M5 in my travels.

Sorry for the rant but I am so sick of these silent cars trying to rev (if you can call it revving) at lights and drag me. Don't get me wrong the performance model is fast but give me the sound of piped in V8 exhaust any day

I know when shopping for my M5 the dealers had so many in stock... Are they still on the lots or do I just live amongst all the beautiful tree huggers of "the OC?"
Why are you complaining? Less M5s mean that it is a more exclusive vehicle. Greater exclusivity equates to a more highly desirable vehicle. And higher desire translates into greater pleasure. Enjoy being on top of the food chain (unless a 458 Italia or Porsche 991 comes along, lol)
      06-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414
Just made a tesla s driver cry on PCH near crystal cove. Off the line 3x had him by about 2 car lengths and on a roll it was 4 bus lengths. Maybe he needed a charge.
Not surprising. Better data is the dragtimes.com data.

M5 best times are 11.6-11.9; tesla model s best times are 12.3-12.5.

Still the Tesla is very impressive (beats a stock 2013 CLS63) and the instant torque response makes it feel faster than an M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I recently took a long drive in my co-workers Model S. Non-perf engine, but 85 battery. The fit and finish inside and out is fantastic. Car rides really well. I love the ride-height adjustable suspension. Imagine if we could push a button and have H&R ride height then another to pull into the driveway without eating the front splitter?

The sound is so quiet that it is perfect for stop and go cruising at under 25mph. Once up to speed read noise makes the difference less obvious compared to an M5 cruising in 7th gear.

The one surprise I noticed was when you mash the accelerator at say a 20mph roll there is this hi pitched whirring noise of the DC to AC converter that reminds me of a spaceship preparing to go into hyperdrive. Kind of cool.

The interior touchscreen setup is infinitely better than what conventional cars have. I believe it is the way of the future. The car has 3G connection (free) and gets all data in real time in addition to updates for the car. Very cool.

The styling is a but Buick in nature, but if you sent a Model S to IND and had it de-chromed with nice wheels etc I think it could look downright mean.

Would I trade my M5 for one? Definitely not. But as a commuter it could be great.

Also of note,

The BMW in Alpine White almost looks cream in color next to the Model S in "Refrigerator White."
Attached Images

Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0