01-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
S_A_F
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
I've decided to change my opinion on this thread. If you are so worried about your ///M car being too rough as a daily driver, then go buy a 535 or Lexus.

I miss the days where ///M models were a bit daunting and not for everyone. BMW has certainly grown their potential consumer base with this car, but too many will drive it like pu**ies.

sorry for the rant
Can't see a reason that makes you reach such conclusion Rob.

My latest question in the thread was about any input related to the facelift expected soon. Since i would feel so disappointed buying a car at a value of more than $ 100K then it get a facelift in less than 9 months!!

Talking about stiffness, i do not think that F10 would be stiffer or as stiff as the E60, which I enjoyed for 5 Good Years...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
If I were you, I would wait for the LCI at this point.
      01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
UniqueCheese
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Was: F10 M5, Now: Ford F150

I'll be dailying mine, when I get it. I've test driven, and while initially it seems quite firm, that's a comparison to the 90,000 mile car I have now. It wasn't unpleasantly firm though. And that's the worst I can say about it. As Top Gear said, best car in the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #27
S_A_F
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li - 2017

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your participation and input...

I found out from our local dealer that we might not receive the first 2014 M5 before November/December 2013, and they have not received confirmation yet about what would be changing for sure and what not.

By looking at some other BMW models that have been face-lifted recently, such as the F01 7-Seires and the X6, they both have received minor touches after being face-lifted. Hence, I would prefer enjoying the ride in a lovely M5 that I configure rather than waiting for another 5-6 months...

Based on the above, I have decided to go ahead and order now

With this, I should finalize my M5 order at the dealer soon. The tough part now is waiting until it arrives !!

Last edited by S_A_F; 02-01-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
sfm5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Transmission in Setting "1" a little clunky

I like to call it as it is, so I'll say that coming from an E39 M5, the F10 M5 with DCT, in standard startup settings, seems a little clunky around the city. There I said it, the M5 is not perfect for me .

I'm experimenting more with Shift Speed "2" right now (of course I have to set this every time I get in the car) and see if that improves things. But on "1", there's a pause/delay when I need to squirt out into traffic.

I drive in downtown SF every day, and honestly I think twice before squirting out into an open lane. I can't even imagine driving this thing in Manhattan, I'd be hit by a cab immediately.

I'll see if the tranny in the "medium" setting helps. I've tried different throttle pedal approaches, but it's never really right. A standard automatic (or of course the E39 M5 manual) works much better squirting from stop to an open lane in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.

Other niggles?
. The radio wheel and volume on the steering wheel feels a little "Cheap." It's starting to get looser, losing that BMW damped feel. (Why I hate Audi interiors, there's little damper -- it looks nice, but feels "clicky").
. The Silverstone interior picks up a LOT of stains.
. I wish the volume knob was next to the IDrive (this is where ergonomically Audi got it spot on)
. Steering "feel" a little removed, but yet vibrations (think power drill) make it into the wheel
. This car is HUGE! But the front seats are huge also, and eat up all the rear legroom.
. Moving Homelink to the mirror is a cheapo move. Liked it on the headliner, was able to push it without abandon, not worry about moving the mirror every time I want to get in the garage.
. Volume and station wheel should be on the left side of the wheel. That way you can prop elbow on door, drive, and manipulate radio. Who the hell moved it to the right side of the steering wheel? My right hand has access to Idrive and volume on the damn radio.
. Reflection of dashboard on the windshield is INSANE. Getting used to it, but the HUD, center speaker? I like to frame cars ahead of me into the reflections of them for sport.

Requests
. I wish the car would "Bong!" when I leave it running, get out of the car, but have the key (I valet the car a lot, and always forget I have the key).

Performance (on the open road)
. None. Perfect. Wow. Strange, but I almost wish the transmission would "clunk" more when it shifts, it's so damn smooth.
. Power is prodigious. Where in the hell in the U.S. am I supposed to wring this thing out.
. I see why they had to pipe in the exhaust. The car is very quiet.
. Wish it had a bit more off-throttle "burble", but that's nit-picking.

Excuse my long post, I've been wanting to write down these thoughts for a while. Maybe I'll even send them to BMW.

If the E39 M5 were available "new" today, with all the updated electronics and a slightly better tuned DCT for the city, I would definitely buy it over the F10. That car was better thought out and better balanced, and I think goes down in time as the best M5 so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #29
dapperdan
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 F90 LCI M5

I did a test drive of the F10 M5, the E63 AMG, and the Cadillac CTS-V, and loved the M5 by comparison. I thought the DCT was great. Smooth as an automatic, but way more fun. The shifts felt like rifle shots. Mine is on order now.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #30
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm5 View Post
I like to call it as it is, so I'll say that coming from an E39 M5, the F10 M5 with DCT, in standard startup settings, seems a little clunky around the city. There I said it, the M5 is not perfect for me .

I'm experimenting more with Shift Speed "2" right now (of course I have to set this every time I get in the car) and see if that improves things. But on "1", there's a pause/delay when I need to squirt out into traffic.

I drive in downtown SF every day, and honestly I think twice before squirting out into an open lane. I can't even imagine driving this thing in Manhattan, I'd be hit by a cab immediately.

I'll see if the tranny in the "medium" setting helps. I've tried different throttle pedal approaches, but it's never really right. A standard automatic (or of course the E39 M5 manual) works much better squirting from stop to an open lane in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.

Other niggles?
. The radio wheel and volume on the steering wheel feels a little "Cheap." It's starting to get looser, losing that BMW damped feel. (Why I hate Audi interiors, there's little damper -- it looks nice, but feels "clicky").
. I wish the volume knob was next to the IDrive (this is where ergonomically Audi got it spot on)
. Steering "feel" a little removed, but yet vibrations (think power drill) make it into the wheel
. This car is HUGE! But the front seats are huge also, and eat up all the rear legroom.
. Moving Homelink to the mirror is a cheapo move. Liked it on the headliner, was able to push it without abandon, not worry about moving the mirror every time I want to get in the garage.
. Volume and station wheel should be on the left side of the wheel. That way you can prop elbow on door, drive, and manipulate radio. Who the hell moved it to the right side of the steering wheel? My right hand has access to Idrive and volume on the damn radio.
. Reflection of dashboard on the windshield is INSANE. Getting used to it, but the HUD, center speaker? I like to frame cars ahead of me into the reflections of them for sport.

Requests
. I wish the car would "Bong!" when I leave it running, get out of the car, but have the key (I valet the car a lot, and always forget I have the key).

. None. Perfect. Wow. Strange, but I almost wish the transmission would "clunk" more when it shifts, it's so damn smooth.
. Power is prodigious. Where in the hell in the U.S. am I supposed to wring this thing out.

Excuse my long post, I've been wanting to write down these thoughts for a while. Maybe I'll even send them to BMW.

If the E39 M5 were available "new" today, with all the updated electronics and a slightly better tuned DCT for the city, I would definitely buy it over the F10. That car was better thought out and better balanced, and I think goes down in time as the best M5 so far.
I plan on buying the F10 M5 and keep my E39 M5 for all the reasons stated above.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:

i definatly think it would be the e60 m5 that would be going down as that.

when ever you hear discussions of the "M5" it seems the term V10 always pops up and how it was like an exotic race car in the body of a sedan.

and we know which one had the V10

and IMO the e60 m5, when seen on the road still looks fairly current and turns heads alot more than the e39, which just looks, "really old".
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm5

Other niggles?

Requests

Auto mode D1 is useless. Put it in D2 if you must. Or drive manual in S3 and you will never hesitate with the tranny.
      02-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #33
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Quote:

Other niggles?

Requests

I live in Manhattan, and my F13 M6 does just fine in traffic, even in D1. Used to have a E46 MT M3 -- talk about not fun in traffic. M6 is a fantastic daily car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #34
sfm5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Auto mode D1 is useless. Put it in D2 if you must. Or drive manual in S3 and you will never hesitate with the tranny.
D2 is working much better for me. From a stop, jumping into an open spot in an adjacent lane doesn't have the lag of D1. Talk about embarrassing, my parking valet even noticed the delay, as he moves it around the indoor lot at 5mph .
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
The shifts felt like rifle shots. Mine is on order now.
Just $%^&ed in my pants a bit! Can't wait for mine...