M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #23
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Indeed, the fact that it is completely bolt-in is really great and I forgot to mention that the looks of the quality fit and finish of all of the designed parts look fantastic. This is definitely some quality engineering, however the price may still be too steep for most. Although, comparatively, if you look at the prices for kits and parts that Underground Racing charges for their Twin Turbo kits, this Weistec kit is a bargain! Lol!
A used Lambo is still $175K-$250K... a used M5 is what now... $45K?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
A used Lambo is still $175K-$250K... a used M5 is what now... $45K?
You can find used nice Gallardos in the $100k - $125k range these days, but an Underground Racing kit starts at around $50k I think and can go above $100k for a Stage 3 or something like that. Even a VF engineering Supercharging VT700 kit is like $30k for an R8 or a Huracan these days. So still comparatively the Weistec kit is still a bargain to those, but then you need a built motor if installing the Weistec turbos, but still way less than an UR Gallardo making 1,500hp. The F10 with a built motor and Weistec turbos will be faster for a lot cheaper. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #25
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 alpine white M6 GC

Quote:
Should bring to NFZ or Never-Lift in Apr... can line ‘em up!!
ill be back down for the no lift in april, trying to click off a 230 out there in coalinga. managed a 223 at the most recent october event
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #26
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just want to offer my insight and research so far for everyone. Like AllMotor I am not here to bash any products, I just want to offer information.

http://weistec.com/all/bmw/5-series/...bo-system.html

So it looks like Weistec has recently changed their website. I actually ran into their Marketing Director last weekend. I asked him about these turbos. The main concern I had/have with them is pricing. The website previously stated $14,000 USD for the W.4 turbo system. They've since updated their website and took off that price and now there is more information about this system apparently. I don't know if they are still asking for $14k for the system, but I would venture to guess it will be at least $12k still, but I haven't called the company to follow up on actual pricing.

With the new information on their website, it seems that you do indeed get a lot in return. In my research and dealings with trying to upgrade my own turbos within the stock BMW turbo housings, I have found that you can upgrade the internal components of the stock M5 turbos to make a lot of power, but the main limitation in power generation of the stock M5 turbos are the stock hot side housings. The housing are too restrictive for air flow on the back end of the turbo to make lots of power. What do I mean by lots of power though? I'm talking about over 1,000 crank hp.

These new Weistec turbos do seem like they solve the problem that the stock M5 turbos have in opening up that back end of the turbo. According to the website and other research I've done it looks like the W.4 system uses a completely different cold side than the stock M5 turbo housing setup too and they even list on their website you have a choice between 3 Garrett turbos to choose from.

I'm guessing the GTX3071R Gen II choice makes up to 1,300hp. The GTX3582R Gen II makes up to 1,700hp and the GTX3076R Gen II makes something in between.

Like I said the system does come with a lot of stuff. The biggest thing you need are the custom designed catless downpipes that mate to the hot side of these W.4 turbos as fabricating your own would take some effort, but Weistec makes this easier for you, by providing downpipes with the system. Other things like the chargepipe and the stainless steel coolant lines can probably be sourced for cheaper, or if you already have those parts, that would be a waste for you. But, I'm sure the system can be negotiated for what you actually need.

The absolute biggest benefit of this W.4 system is the fact that you can retain the factory heat shield over the hot side of the turbos. Heat management is absolutely crucial for turbos, especially for a system that will be running hotter than stock M5 turbos. So being able to mount the factory heat shield along with say a turbo blanket without having to come up with a different heat shielding solution is actually very valuable with this Weistec system.

One final note I will say is that unless you have a built motor than can withstand the power and torque these turbos make, it's pointless for any customer to get these things. Pure Stage 2 turbos are more than enough for a stock motor setup without forged internals. Basically this W.4 system is definitely overkill unless you have a forged motor.

Now since I do in fact have a forged motor in my car, I have considered this system, however due to the pricing it is just way too much for me personally. I tend to be a bit frugal even with giant things like these and the way I see it, is that I could have a whole E39 M5 for what Weistec charges for a set of turbos. I'd rather have the E39 M5. But still, if you have a built motor and you have the extra cash burning a hole in your pocket then the W.4 system is definitely a viable alternative than doing a custom big turbo kit. Unless you are looking to make 2,000hp then just go with the custom big turbo kit.

Hope this helps everyone.

an opened up hotside and effecient kit that bolts in with no downtime is worth a little more than saving a bit and spinning a factory unit with upgraded wheels that falls off to me (assuming the price is around that 12k range). i dont think id shell out much more than. and then it leaves headroom when fueling solutions catch up here in the near future
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Quote:
^^ well said.

The turbine housing is a restriction (that's why most stock housing turbo cars peeter out after 5.5K RPM when pushing > 750whp).

However, the Garrett cores mentioned flow at the advertised rates WHEN you have a compressor and turbine housing to match. I am sure Weistec did a lot of R&D to engineer their housings, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to fit the full-size housings (see Garrett website) and retain ALL the factory heat shields. On my kit I can't fit the top heat shield... everything else stays on. There have to be some compromises. Again... you need a built motor to enjoy this level of power else things are gonna pop!

The fact that their kit is completely bolt-in is great!
Indeed, the fact that it is completely bolt-in is really great and I forgot to mention that the looks of the quality fit and finish of all of the designed parts look fantastic. This is definitely some quality engineering, however the price may still be too steep for most. Although, comparatively, if you look at the prices for kits and parts that Underground Racing charges for their Twin Turbo kits, this Weistec kit is a bargain! Lol!
That's great! Didn't know it was a bolt on. My info I got must have been wrong then
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #28
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
ill be back down for the no lift in april, trying to click off a 230 out there in coalinga. managed a 223 at the most recent october event
That’s another league...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #29
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That’s another league...
not all that different just beefier components. i think we were pushing right around 2600 whp on that 223 pass. just finished tubbing out the rear on the car today actually to get a little bigger tire under it
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #30
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #31
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Opinions https://www.ebay.com/p/Left-Side-Gar...32270657&rt=nc
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #32
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

What are you trying to get an opinion on?
Appreciate 0