Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #67
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
You don't understand how acceleration works... You also don't understand which power band is used where which is why I am dropping this. The E90/E92 M3 and E60 M5 are the greatest cars ever built!

You still do not answer the question-how can an m3 hit that type of 0-60 number which is a lot faster than a 335 and hit the quarter in 12.5 which is also faster than any stock 335? Those are pretty standard objective measures of acceleration and 3.9 seconds to 60 is not slow by any stretch.

And you 335 guys have some sense of humor! Sounded legit to me!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #68
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
You still do not answer the question-how can an m3 hit that type of 0-60 number which is a lot faster than a 335 and hit the quarter in 12.5 which is also faster than any stock 335? Those are pretty standard objective measures of acceleration and 3.9 seconds to 60 is not slow by any stretch.

And you 335 guys have some sense of humor! Sounded legit to me!
Lol, it's very simple... more HP. A stock 335i has 300 HP while an M3 has 414. That is a 114 Hp difference which explains it. They have identical TQ stock and TQ is something that is used for instantaneous thrust and more grunt down low (it has next to nothing to do with acceleration and in most cases past 5k it does nothing for you except taper off) which is why I pointed out 5 times that TQ is important in a DD not a race car. This car is produced as both and this is something that it definitely benefits from; having both is an amazing combination.

I don't think anyone said that a stock 335i is better than a stock M3 (at least I hope not). It's the ability of the engine to make a ton more very easily that makes it a winner.
      12-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #69
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Lol, it's very simple... more HP. A stock 335i has 300 HP while an M3 has 414. That is a 114 Hp difference which explains it. They have identical TQ stock and TQ is something that is used for instantaneous thrust and more grunt down low (it has next to nothing to do with acceleration and in most cases past 5k it does nothing for you except taper off) which is why I pointed out 5 times that TQ is important in a DD not a race car. This car is produced as both and this is something that it definitely benefits from; having both is an amazing combination.

Somehow its back to m3 v. 335i. We cannot help ourselves.

Back to the topic at hand. I am sure everyone will love and buy this m5 as it is the only thing that bmw is offering. Would be REALLY interesting to see what people chose to buy with two engine options-a v10 NA 530hp engine v. this TTV8. with 560hp. Or even better comparo a V10 with 560 v. TTV8 with 560.

I do not know what the masses would choose.

I am tempted to look into a viper in a couple years. What are they up to now-like a 9 litre V10? It has grown fro 6L or so when it came out to atleast 8-9 L. Shit that is a monster
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #70
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Your helping me prove my point... the M5 is not a track car as evidenced by the limp modes. Neither was the E60 and if you refer back to the original Clarkson review on the track; he blows the rear diff almost instantly (and said it was incredibly gentle and had to be towed off).
The limp mode was on a track at altitude on a 30 degree C day. Not surprising it went into limp mode. I punished the M5 on a track for 8 laps and no issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #71
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS14 View Post
The limp mode was on a track at altitude on a 30 degree C day. Not surprising it went into limp mode. I punished the M5 on a track for 8 laps and no issue.
anyone have the link to clarkson blowing the diff off?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #72
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
anyone have the link to clarkson blowing the diff off?
At 5:48 -

12-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #73
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Quote:
Get an aftermarket exhaust, lady and quit complaining...
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay View Post
+1
Quote:

The old high revving V10 was nice but it was in no way a proper fit for the M5, while quick, the car did not and will not have the wow factor of thrust when the pedal is floored when compared to the new twin turbo 8. In addition; the fuel economy of the old one was absolutely abysmal... In other words you are gaining far too much here and losing very little. You can improve sound a little by fitting a proper exhaust but if you go take this car for a drive and later hop in an E60; you will be more than disappointed especially given the amazing gear box this car has. This was a review for Tiff and Vicky messed up... having driven the old V10 a few times in many situations and having driven a tuned 335i for the last couple of years; the M5 was way overrated minus the sound, this one certainly fixes that.
Wow.... This coming from someone who has never owned an M5 or M6, just drove it around a few times. Your claims about wow factor and proper fit are just dumb. Coming from someone who has a 800+ hp 335... Is 800+ HP a proper fit for a 335? When someone buys an "M" their main concern isn't gas consumption it's performance. What would you expect from a V10 engine, 30mpg?

Go to the M5 board and make the same comments and they will laugh at you.
      12-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #74
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
Wow.... This coming from someone who has never owned an M5 or M6, just drove it around a few times. Your claims about wow factor and proper fit are just dumb. Coming from someone who has a 800+ hp 335... Is 800+ HP a proper fit for a 335?

Lol, my joke seems to work on everyone. If you were "properly informed"; you'd figure out within 10 seconds that it's a joke, especially when you go to the E85 part. hahah

When someone buys an "M" their main concern isn't gas consumption it's performance. What would you expect from a V10 engine, 30mpg?

Correct; the only issue being that this car is also made as a daily driver and this will be the primary duty of 80% of owners.

Go to the M5 board and make the same comments and they will laugh at you.
I'll go in a few years when a lot of owners have the new F10 M5 to see their thoughts on how it compares to the E60. When everyone tells me in 3 years that the E60 was better; I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong... Chance of that happening - next to zero.
      12-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #75
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

M= Motorsports... Motorsports 1st.. Daily Driver 2nd.. If you buy a ferrari, use it as a daily driver, then complain about gas mileage, is backwards just like your 80% comment.
      12-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power111 View Post
finally a quality video, seems blue is the new black for the M5. i love it!!

Clearly blue is the signature color for the car, just as the 1M is Valencia orange. Wonder what the new m3 and m6 will be.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #77
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Did they remove the Active Side Bolsters?

That was one of the coolest features on the old M5.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #78
bmwral
Rep
Drives: M3 white

watch winder box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman23 View Post
If you have ever heard a V10 come screaming by you on the highway, you would understand that an exhaust on this car just wouldnt be the same. Granted, it sounds insane, gets better gas milage, and is faster and more powerful...Its just not a high reving V10.

madman23, I hate to bother you on this thread but I'm trying to get an instant message to you regarding another post of yours. It's regarding a watch winder box you posted on the classified ads page a while ago. Maybe you can have a look at that post page and see what I'm referring to. I'm wondering if it's still available...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308267[/URL]
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #79
Ateam
Banned
Rep

I totally agree. AMG provides a large, super lux comfy sedan with gobs of horsepower and torque. The e63 AMG does everything a bmw m5 (new one does) and there really is not a lot of difference between the two. I know the m5 comes out ahead in comparisons but 99 percent of the time they will feel largely very similar.

The M's of the past really really stood out and had NOTHING in common with anything else they went up against, except quite similar performance figures. However the WAY it went about it was so different and almost one of a kind, which IMO was a huge edge for bmw. Not saying everyone liked it but they were the only ones offering a high revving F1 engine experience where you had to be active as the above poster said with switching gears etc.

Now that bmw went big torque, big hp and a lot of mass, really aside from styling there is little that sets it apart from the new AMG's which were already getting very close in performance to the M's.

To each his own but anyone had has owned a modern M will understand and they do not win every comparison they ever take part in for 15 years for no reason! Its not like its only a few random people's opinions that these past M cars were amazing-it was EVERYONE that drove one and owned one
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #80
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I think she doesn't like it because it's not giving her enough oral pleasure. Perhaps she should order the vibrating seats! LOL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #81
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So let me ask all of the naysayers here what it is exactly that you would have wanted to see from BMW M in this next generation of M5? Did you want the exact same engine or what exact type of setup? Answer this with BMW's philosophy in mind and be realistic.

I think this was the right step for BMW to make and one which benefits will be largely seen in the future.
      12-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #82
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I totally agree. AMG provides a large, super lux comfy sedan with gobs of horsepower and torque. The e63 AMG does everything a bmw m5 (new one does) and there really is not a lot of difference between the two. I know the m5 comes out ahead in comparisons but 99 percent of the time they will feel largely very similar.

The M's of the past really really stood out and had NOTHING in common with anything else they went up against, except quite similar performance figures. However the WAY it went about it was so different and almost one of a kind, which IMO was a huge edge for bmw. Not saying everyone liked it but they were the only ones offering a high revving F1 engine experience where you had to be active as the above poster said with switching gears etc.

Now that bmw went big torque, big hp and a lot of mass, really aside from styling there is little that sets it apart from the new AMG's which were already getting very close in performance to the M's.

To each his own but anyone had has owned a modern M will understand and they do not win every comparison they ever take part in for 15 years for no reason! Its not like its only a few random people's opinions that these past M cars were amazing-it was EVERYONE that drove one and owned one
I think everyone needs to get off the E60 M5 train. That car (while having an epic engine) was an anomaly. How many times have you read reviewers comparing the F10 to the E39 M5? That's about the best compliment you can give any M5. How many times did reviewers say it is better in every single way than the E60 apart from sound?

IMHO, the best M5 ever made was the E39. While it had a great engine as well, it's not like it sounded like a Ferrari V8 either. And most people that are giving the F10 flak do realize that the E9x M3 was considered the most "numb" and "lazy" M3 ever correct? Yet I don't hear any of the complainers here talking about the car, now that they actually own one. (Btw, I'll be in the market for one myself).

Please keep in mind that the F10 M5 as far as I know as yet to lose a comparison against AMG and is fighting valiantly with Porsche Panameras. That's a pretty darn good accomplishment if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #83
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
Like the mini skirt

Can't stop looking at those legs.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #84
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Not a fan at all.... Times are impressive. And the seats..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #85
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Regarding the exhaust sound
Since it's a V8
Can't you have 4 cylinders exhausting into the turbos
And 4 going straight out the tailpipes?
Wouldn't that give you much better sound?
You could pick the 4 cylinders that would you give you the right pulses to keep the turbos spinning happily
And the other 4 cylinders exhaust straight out to give it a meaty sound
      12-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #86
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Get an aftermarket exhaust, lady and quit complaining...
That will only make the farts louder.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #87
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcodec View Post
Based on her background, serious racing, I can see why she was crazy about M3 GTS.
The GTS is the true essence of a "M" car.

Probably one of the last ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #88
AlHersh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne S

Quote:
Clearly anyone who thinks all you need is an aftermarket exhaust has never driven the v10. It is a sound that cannot be replicated with a turbo V8 or any other engine. Even the m3, while sounds great in its own right, sounds nothing like the v10 scream. She is on the same page as me, as much of the enjoyment of these M cars is the EXPERIENCE and not just the stats. Just like the 335 folks like to spit out stats. Even if it performs better in every objective measure its not always as exhileritating to drive and 99 percent of m owners buy the car to enjoy on a day to day basis and not race.

If you saw her drive the m3 or m5 you can tell she is not liking this car at all. Watch her review the m3 gts, m3 or e60 m5. She goes absolutely giddy wild. This was the most reserved I have ever seen in her a bmw.

I like this car but especially here in the US, who cares if it is faster and has 560hp. I would have rather have another 500hp v10 that has the soul and sound of the e60.
+1
Appreciate 0