BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

So here is the thing (exhaust rant)

So...long story, but here in the UK in order for you to have a warranty, one can only modify an m5 with BMW parts i.e. M performance exhaust (although they did say they would accept an Akropovic but nothing else) - I won't own this car without a warranty due to the potential for sky high bills if something were to go wrong

I then thought to myself, as much as I want to improve the sound, why am I thinking about dropping £6000 (not dollars!) on an exhaust system?!

For that kind of money I can buy a brand new motorbike, a second hand mini, a new downhill bike blah blah blah

Anyways that is my rant, I can't believe these exhausts cost so much money so unfortunately i won't be getting one, not because I can't afford it but because I just think its a stupid amount of money to pay for something you won't really see. I get that it will make the car sound much nicer but so will a turner exhaust which is much cheaper (but unfortunately I can't get due to the warranty issue)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
ben_87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Yep I hear you!!! I'm constantly trying to convince myself to get the MPE but it is a hell of a lot of money. Only thing I have been thinking is you could potentially get at least £3000 back if you sold it when you got rid of the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Or Spend the £6000+ and upgrade to something else with sound.. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
Or Spend the £6000+ and upgrade to something else with sound.. lol
so as a family man I think i have a few restrictions with regards to the type of car i can own...I live pretty much in central london so that means no driveway, just parking on the street and I'm not the type of person to have multiple cars for myself i.e. a family car + a "toy"

I love my m5 but if I had to change it to anything, it would only be the Rs6 that I would consider, absolutely nothing else would match up to the m5 in my book
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
harry007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
so as a family man I think i have a few restrictions with regards to the type of car i can own...I live pretty much in central london so that means no driveway, just parking on the street and I'm not the type of person to have multiple cars for myself i.e. a family car + a "toy"

I love my m5 but if I had to change it to anything, it would only be the Rs6 that I would consider, absolutely nothing else would match up to the m5 in my book
Hi buddy. I absolutely feel your pain! Theres a couple of ways around it.
Keep your standard exhaust incase something should happen. Just stick it back on?

Please look into miltek exhaust. Its well made and sounds superb without being over the top. Its also available for around £2500. I know because I have one!

Lastly make good friends at the dealers. I know I do, they help to push through any claim. Also warranty will need to prove that any issue with the car was caused by the exhaust. Other than that warranties arent just voided like that. It has to be a serious obstruction.

Im down central alot, maybe bump into each other.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
So...long story, but here in the UK in order for you to have a warranty, one can only modify an m5 with BMW parts i.e. M performance exhaust (although they did say they would accept an Akropovic but nothing else) - I won't own this car without a warranty due to the potential for sky high bills if something were to go wrong

I then thought to myself, as much as I want to improve the sound, why am I thinking about dropping £6000 (not dollars!) on an exhaust system?!

For that kind of money I can buy a brand new motorbike, a second hand mini, a new downhill bike blah blah blah

Anyways that is my rant, I can't believe these exhausts cost so much money so unfortunately i won't be getting one, not because I can't afford it but because I just think its a stupid amount of money to pay for something you won't really see. I get that it will make the car sound much nicer but so will a turner exhaust which is much cheaper (but unfortunately I can't get due to the warranty issue)
I fully agree with your sentiments on this matter !

Damn warranty !!
      01-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry007 View Post
Hi buddy. I absolutely feel your pain! Theres a couple of ways around it.
Keep your standard exhaust incase something should happen. Just stick it back on?

Please look into miltek exhaust. Its well made and sounds superb without being over the top. Its also available for around £2500. I know because I have one!

Lastly make good friends at the dealers. I know I do, they help to push through any claim. Also warranty will need to prove that any issue with the car was caused by the exhaust. Other than that warranties arent just voided like that. It has to be a serious obstruction.

Im down central alot, maybe bump into each other.
I had a Milltek system and cats on my E39 M5 at some point. Very nice fit, finish and sound !
      01-27-2016, 01:35 AM   #8
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:

Well, both the MPE and Akra (which are the same thing) are made in titanium, that's why they are so much more expensive.

Does it need to be made in Ti? Not really, yes there are some weight savings but we are not talking about F1 cars here, a 12KG saving on a 1900KG car doesn't really make a difference.

It's one of those things you buy it because you really want it, otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
Appreciate 0