Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I rather have a DCT anytime.
      03-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

South, thanks for posting this. I will, however, take a different take on this. I view this as less from a "me & what transmission I would want" and more from "what this signals for the future of ///M".

We continually (well, I at least do this) continue to throw rocks at BMW for ruining their ///Ms with low revving engines, FI and other "softenings". But I must admit that I realize for the ///M5, as I have said a few times recently, it really needs to be an executive sedan as much as a sports sedan because many buyers take these cars to business meetings and out with clients / colleagues alike.

So I have soften my stance on this car.........that being said if they put a Manual in her, and just for the U.S. no less, its a big sign that they are still listening to the enthusiasts, the old school guys. For that, I would be eternally grateful......its like a lifelong friend coming back to the neighborhood to remind you that despite his fame, fortune and beautiful wife, he still has your back. To me, that means everything.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 03-25-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
South, thanks for posting this. I will, however, take a different take on this. I view this as less from a "me & what transmission I would want" and more from "what this signal for the future of ///M".

We continually (well, I at least do this) continue to throw rocks at BMW for ruining their ///Ms with low revving engines and FI and other "softenings". But I must admit that I realize for the ///M5, as I have said a few times recently, it really needs to be a executive sedan as much as a sports sedan because of many buyers taking these cars to business meetings and out with clients / colleagues alike.

So I have soften my stance on this car.........that being said if they put a Manual in her, and just for the U.S. no less, its a big sign that they are still listening to the enthusiasts, the old school guys. For that, I would be eternally grateful......its like a lifelong friend coming back to the neighborhood to remind you that despite his fame, fortune and beautiful wife, he still has your back. To me, that means everything.

Cheers,
e46e92
Very well said, amazing insight and comparison. +1
      03-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #26
blitz335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

This JUST made my day! (manual trans)

Quote:
......its like a lifelong friend coming back to the neighborhood to remind you that despite his fame, fortune and beautiful wife, he still has your back. To me, that means everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #27
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I hate how the rest of the world is coupled with UK demand. I have found most cars here to be manuals (small to mid size segment) and considering the fact that BMW has such a huge following for such a small country (size comparison to the U.S), I dont know why BMW would never offer this here. Im not nocking the DCT, but would rather have a manual, and cant even get it specially ordered.

Boo BMW, boo!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #28
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu Mu View Post
I hate how the rest of the world is coupled with UK demand. I have found most cars here to be manuals (small to mid size segment) and considering the fact that BMW has such a huge following for such a small country (size comparison to the U.S), I dont know why BMW would never offer this here. Im not nocking the DCT, but would rather have a manual, and cant even get it specially ordered.

Boo BMW, boo!
Frankly I don't get it either.. I am shocked its not an option globally because I think penetration would be that much higher. I can ship you one
      03-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #29
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So, is the 6MT optional on the 550i? I didn't think it was available. I know the diesel models do not offer a manual, right?
Right, none of these cars are available with 6MT, not even the 550i.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #30
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
South, thanks for posting this. I will, however, take a different take on this. I view this as less from a "me & what transmission I would want" and more from "what this signals for the future of ///M".

We continually (well, I at least do this) continue to throw rocks at BMW for ruining their ///Ms with low revving engines, FI and other "softenings". But I must admit that I realize for the ///M5, as I have said a few times recently, it really needs to be an executive sedan as much as a sports sedan because many buyers take these cars to business meetings and out with clients / colleagues alike.

Cheers,
e46e92
Well said man... Well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
i dont buy that its for the US only. i know for a fact germans and the rest of the world drive sticks more then americans.
      03-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

MANUAL!!!!! I wonder what the delimited speed will be...
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #33
goat128
Rep
Drives: e34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMP "E" View Post
i dont buy that its for the US only. i know for a fact germans and the rest of the world drive sticks more then americans.
Europe they watch Formula 1... I think maybe they'd opt for the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #34
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
+1

Could not have said it better. This in combination with 1M being manual transmission only is a sign that BMW M is listening (or a sign of the rebirth of manual transmission all together! Sorry I lost myself).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #35
Iceberg3x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i coupe AW

Damn there's a lot of manual hatred in here. Go buy a Benz if u like auto so much. All Ms should always come standard manual! BMW is getting gayer every year, the least they can do is keep the Ms manual. DCT, SMG, I don't care what you call it, if it doesn't have 3 pedals, it's an automatic!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #36
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by icberg3x View Post
Damn there's a lot of manual hatred in here. Go buy a Benz if u like auto so much. All Ms should always come standard manual! BMW is getting gayer every year, the least they can do is keep the Ms manual. DCT, SMG, I don't care what you call it, if it doesn't have 3 pedals, it's an automatic!
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #37
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Immaturity at its finest. If the car is offered with a Manual and your wishes have been fulfilled, why does it matter to you that its also offered with DCT. That makes the company and the car "gayer" because they simply are offering another choice for people who might not make the same choice as you? Grow up.

Now if they did actually go thru with the not offering manual transmission thing... then you have reason to be upset.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #38
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hehehe..
      03-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #39
rvladescu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440 GC

Ask your sales person they have all the codes that describe the status of your build, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #40
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Apparently the last M5 manual, also US only, was a dog and slower than the SMG as well. Americans, be careful what you wish for cos you might just get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Apparently the last M5 manual, also US only, was a dog and slower than the SMG as well. Americans, be careful what you wish for cos you might just get it.
when was faster ever a criteria? It is about JOY.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #42
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
BMW you just guaranteed yourself a future M5/M6 customer. The manual option changes everything! Awesome news! Can't wait to see it.
1. Definately will be buying the M5 if it a manual. Might have to wait until 2013 to place my order but it coming.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #43
Iceberg3x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i coupe AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Quote:
Immaturity at its finest. If the car is offered with a Manual and your wishes have been fulfilled, why does it matter to you that its also offered with DCT. That makes the company and the car "gayer" because they simply are offering another choice for people who might not make the same choice as you? Grow up.

Now if they did actually go thru with the not offering manual transmission thing... then you have reason to be upset.
I take it you drive automatic Ms. Wasn't being immature, just stating my opinion. Ms were not made to maximize BMW profit, but to serve as the ultimate driving machine. They used to come only in stick, and got way more respect for that back then IMO. If BMW wants to make them in auto as well, whatever I guess, but this convo is about BMW POSSIBLY making the new M5 in manual. The real convo should be, should we even make it in auto...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #44
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I take it you drive automatic Ms. Wasn't being immature, just stating my opinion. Ms were not made to maximize BMW profit, but to serve as the ultimate driving machine. They used to come only in stick, and got way more respect for that back then IMO. If BMW wants to make them in auto as well, whatever I guess, but this convo is about BMW POSSIBLY making the new M5 in manual. The real convo should be, should we even make it in auto...
+10000000000000000
Whether an M should be offered in manual shouldn't even be a debate!
Appreciate 0