M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

Closed Thread

10-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #287
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
Love pavel, but zetterberg is the man ! Actually datsyuk and Sidney Crosby are the two highest skilled players in the game. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you like datsyuk better than zetterberg and you are from Sweden.

Next question is zetterberg a decent guy off the ice and is he well respected in Sweden.
You've got PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #288
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubpower View Post
johnny was right about the bimmer being a fattty, look at that steering wheel, its bloated
the mercs wheel is sculpted to perfection
The LCI M5 steering wheel is different.
Same as this one.
Attached Images

10-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #289
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Show me where the M5 is faster than or as fast as the E63 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. You can pull from video reviews, instrumented tests, etc.

Good luck. Let's not even mention the E63 "S" - your task is already impossible enough as-is.

And I'm not back-tracking. More often than not, the E63, with its more powerful motor and AWD, will be faster than the M5. At rolling speeds the E63 may be at a miniscule disadvantage. Not enough data out there at this point, as other posters have pointed out.

Excellent post. I agree with everything you set out above.
STILL waiting for a link to your C&D E63 S test times... Could you have used the C&D estimated times by mistake instead?

Regarding acceleration times I was referring to the previous post by TomC (and which you replied to ) which showed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
So what does that have to do with the fact that you didn't post the best numbers for the M5?

As mentioned before, I think both cars are putting down close to the same amount of power at the wheels, regardless of what the the dyno is showing. The E63 S probably makes a good bit more at the crank and has more parasitic loss through the torque converter and AWD system. Yes, the E63 S is quicker to 60mph and through the 1/4 mile, but from a rolling speed I believe the M5 CP is likely faster. Just take a look at the Motor Trend 0-60mph and 1/4 mile acceleration times.

E63 S: 0-60: 3.4s, 1/4m: 11.6 @ 121.8mph
M5 CP: 0-60: 3.7s, 1/4m: 11.9 @ 122.2mph

The E63 S takes 8.2s to go from 60-121.8mph
The M5 CP takes 8.2s to go from 60-122.2mph

I would love to see more acceleration data at higher speeds to bear this out more explicitly.

Either way, as I said before, the E63 S is an impressive performance sedan and I applaud AMG's efforts. When I purchased my M5 they had already announced the E63 S and I just didn't like the aesthetics of the interior and exterior. but that is personal taste and I prefer the M5's looks and higher revving engine. In my mind, there are no losers in this segment, just great...but different... choices (E63 S, M5, RS7, CLS63 S).
The above post backs up what the videos show, the AWD E63 has an advantage from a standing start (obviously), but the M5 reels it in and has a higher trap speed. But in a standing start scenario, the E63 AWD and RS6 will kill the M5. On the autobahn very close. Standing start AMG/RS6 wins
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #290
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
You haven't driven the M5

ps bet the gear knob is fat too
and audi's one looks like a dildo
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #291
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The above post backs up what the videos show, the AWD E63 has an advantage from a standing start (obviously), but the M5 reels it in and has a higher trap speed. But in a standing start scenario, the E63 AWD and RS6 will kill the M5. On the autobahn very close. Standing start AMG/RS6 wins
what do u mean on autobahn very close?

on highway m5 destroys those awd
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #292
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW335 View Post
If the M5 does indeed pull at higher speeds, it's most likely due to the transmission holding the gears longer since it does have a 1k redline advantage over the E63. I'm sure this is what the average M5 / E63 owners do on a regular basis on public roads. If it's on the "internets" it must be true.
its most likely DCT seems to be a much better transmission than automatic gearbox

but only seems...

don't know who is "average" owner for you, but whenever i c any AMG/M/RS/ferrari/lambo/etc cars on highway and there is plenty of space and not busy with traffic, i will make sure the other guy pulls with me
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #293
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubpower View Post
johnny was right about the bimmer being a fattty, look at that steering wheel, its bloated
the mercs wheel is sculpted to perfection
new steering wheel is much better, as John mentioned already, but i agree that in comparison with pre-LCI steering wheel merc's looks better and more confy
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #294
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I think it's time to close this thread guys, we've done it to death now.
Bottom line is mercedes have improved a lot and credit too them.
Do we want one?................ by the looks of it here anyway .........NO.

In everyday driving little will separate them in the dry, however fit winters on the M5 and things will even up or make the M5 a winter winter.
Either way both cars deserve credit end off.
      10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #295
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I think it's time to close this thread guys, we've done it to death now.
Bottom line is mercedes have improved a lot and credit too them.
Do we want one?................ by the looks of it here anyway .........NO.

In everyday driving little will separate them in the dry, however fit winters on the M5 and things will even up or make the M5 a winter winter.
Either way both cars deserve credit end off.
Good luck with that summary. These dudes won't stop. Next up is build quality of lug nuts and glass thickness.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread