M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

1200 mile service unable to unlock

Hey guys

Just left the dealer after my initial break in for the 1200 miles. I only had 1119 miles on it and they changed all fluids and all other things *but* they told me that the car says its unable to reset the 1200 mile service,

The head mechanic (shop foreman) who performed the service (my good friend) said that the car would not let him take it off, I witnessed this also myself

He asked me to try these steps after I hit 1200 miles, of it still doesn't do it and remove it after 1200 miles hits then drive another 1200 miles and do this again, if not bring it back to him if I want him to do it

1) get in car and don't turn on or press pedals

2) press and hold black button on left side of speedometer, in corner and hold down

3) message will appear about 1200 mile svc,

4) press and hold again and it will clear the 1200 mile svc and unlock what's needed

Mine says unable to do this

I will follow up and let everyone know what happens

Until then he said I can drive it like I stole it and after it unlocks I will be good

I have a 6mt so no launch anyway

I just went 140 on the turn pike, this car had way more to give me.... Truly amazing
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
I just went 140 on the turn pike, this car had way more to give me.... Truly amazing
That makes two of us!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I just got mine on friday. What is locked? Cant remember anything locked on my 09 M3?
      12-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

You cannot reset the service interval from the dash buttons, it has to be done thru' the computer. This has happened to quite a few of us. You need to take the car back in and have it hooked up to the computer. Once all the checks are done the counter will reset to the usual approximately 15,000.
Why are BMW service departments still not aware of this?
Bish
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
You cannot reset the service interval from the dash buttons, it has to be done thru' the computer. This has happened to quite a few of us. You need to take the car back in and have it hooked up to the computer. Once all the checks are done the counter will reset to the usual approximately 15,000.
Why are BMW service departments still not aware of this?
Bish
He had it hooked up today and he said he went through everything, unless there is something special that he doesn't know yet, he wouldn't be telling me stories

I do know how to check with the dash buttons, it does bring up information about the inability to remove the service warning. Also, in the vehicle info it says service due in 1200 miles
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
He had it hooked up today and he said he went through everything, unless there is something special that he doesn't know yet, he wouldn't be telling me stories

I do know how to check with the dash buttons, it does bring up information about the inability to remove the service warning. Also, in the vehicle info it says service due in 1200 miles
Again, this is a known issue with F10 cars. My SA immediately knew what needed to be done when the tech forgot to reset the service counter at my 1200 service. I had to bring the car back and leave it for the morning so that the service counter could be reset through the computer. If your SA or mechanice don't know what they're doing, have them call BMW. You do NOT need to go back in 1200 miles; have them fix it correctly.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
Quote:

Again, this is a known issue with F10 cars. My SA immediately knew what needed to be done when the tech forgot to reset the service counter at my 1200 service. I had to bring the car back and leave it for the morning so that the service counter could be reset through the computer. If your SA or mechanice don't know what they're doing, have them call BMW. You do NOT need to go back in 1200 miles; have them fix it correctly.
Bish
I will call them today and explain, thank you bish
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Interesting update:

After 1200 miles hit I cannot press that dash button and hold it in so that it shows the break in period and 'unable to remove' it. Nothing happens when i perform these steps above

The car still thinks it has 1100-1000 miles to go until its next service

I am betting I am unlocked and just in need of resetting that service counter

I wish there was able to tell if I am off PDI with a 6MT. I don't have the launch function to see checkered flags !?!
Appreciate 0