UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

O2 Sensors failed in under 5k miles?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have the non-lci m5 and have experienced almost all of the problems found within the BMW SIB database - B&O center speaker rattle, weird rear suspension clunk when going over bumps, steering wheel vibration, and a few other noticeable problems that I can't even keep track of. Thankfully all of it has been fixed.

Now, there's been a malfunction of the O2 sensor confirmed by the dealer. I started the car one day, it had very rough idle and something was out of the ordinary. The rough idle seemed to go away a few minutes later and reappeared again at times. Next came the check engine light which as we all know doesn't throw up any codes on the iDrive display, but at only 5k miles, I wondered how something could possibly go wrong. Keeping in mind I don't drive m5 hard at all.

I took it to the dealer and he confirmed the sensors failed and the new parts were ordered. Now I have to wait probably a few days after Christmas until the parts come in and are replaced.

Has anybody experienced any of this before? I'm thinking that I'm just unlucky with all of this so far and it will all clear up soon. I had 2009 M3 and not a SINGLE problem with it ever. The only thing I literally ever changed in it were the tires and oil.

Last edited by UnfoundLegend; 12-22-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend View Post
I have the non-lci m5 and have experienced almost all of the problems found within the BMW SIB database - B&O center speaker rattle, weird rear suspension clunk when going over bumps, steering wheel vibration, and a few other noticeable problems that I can't even keep track of.

Now, there's been a malfunction of the O2 sensor confirmed by the dealer. I started the car one day, it had very rough idle and something was out of the ordinary. The rough idle seemed to go away a few minutes later and reappeared again at times. Next came the check engine light which as we all know doesn't throw up any codes on the iDrive display, but at only 5k miles, I wondered how something could possibly go wrong. Keeping in mind I don't drive m5 hard at all.

I took it to the dealer and he confirmed the sensors failed and the new parts were ordered. Now I have to wait probably a few days after Christmas until the parts come in and are replaced.

Has anybody experienced any of this before? I'm thinking that I'm just unlucky with all of this so far and it will all clear up soon. I had 2009 M3 and not a SINGLE problem with it ever. The only thing I literally ever changed in it were the tires and oil.
same here man! i feel you!

i had my solenoids replaced, i had my entire air con replaced, i had my suspension replaced, i had weird noise coming from driver's wing mirror (rhd) when they shut

the only problem still not solved is some metallic noise comes every now and then and cant be sorted, as whenever i get it and head to dealer it disappears on the way...

had M3 for long and not a single problem! but was changing tires every 4-5 months

m5 has 16k miles and i think my tires will survive till 20k and i drive it hard! those pss' are amazing!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
I have the non-lci m5 and have experienced almost all of the problems found within the BMW SIB database - B&O center speaker rattle, weird rear suspension clunk when going over bumps, steering wheel vibration, and a few other noticeable problems that I can't even keep track of.

3 words. DRIVE IT HARD!

In all seriousness, sorry to hear your problems. Hope you clear it up soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
3 words. DRIVE IT HARD!

In all seriousness, sorry to hear your problems. Hope you clear it up soon.
I'm going to! It's just pretty scary seeing all of these threads of broken rear axles just from driving it hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
I'm going to! It's just pretty scary seeing all of these threads of broken rear axles just from driving it hard.
depends how long u gg to keep your car
better get everything changed under warranty, than pay for it after!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Qdawg911
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

My 2013 has 12000 miles and just had the same failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdawg911 View Post
You baby it around too?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You baby it around too?
Are you trying to say that if we "baby" the car, it has a higher chance of failing? Thus this means we must use our cars to the fullest not to experience any problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you trying to say that if we "baby" the car, it has a higher chance of failing? Thus this means we must use our cars to the fullest not to experience any problems.
Call me crazy, but that is what works for me. Baby it for the break in period, constantly changing load on the drivetrain, and then after break in period, let it rip to 7250 rpm everytime I drive it. Oh dont forget to crack the window down and listen to those cracks on upshift between 2nd and 3rd gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Call me crazy, but that is what works for me. Baby it for the break in period, constantly changing load on the drivetrain, and then after break in period, let it rip to 7250 rpm everytime I drive it. Oh dont forget to crack the window down and listen to those cracks on upshift between 2nd and 3rd gear.
It's all in your head. I did an extremely hard break in on the car and nothing failed yet. It's a hit or miss with these cars, but suggesting that things break because they dont drive the car hard enough is a bit silly.
      12-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Qdawg911
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdawg911 View Post
You baby it around too?
Dunno if I baby it. I'd say I'm in the middle of babying and aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
It's all in your head. I did an extremely hard break in on the car and nothing failed yet. It's a hit or miss with these cars, but suggesting that things break because they dont drive the car hard enough is a bit silly.
Yep what he said x2

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Yep what he said x2
boots, your post set him off for sure and he is not coming back.
Be nice next time......
      01-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
I have the non-lci m5 and have experienced almost all of the problems found within the BMW SIB database - B&O center speaker rattle, weird rear suspension clunk when going over bumps, steering wheel vibration, and a few other noticeable problems that I can't even keep track of. Thankfully all of it has been fixed.

Please advise how the car is running now?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dont worry, I've driven sideways more than i've driven straight. After 21k miles, no broken axles. but no aftermarket parts on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano
Quote:
Dont worry, I've driven sideways more than i've driven straight. After 21k miles, no broken axles. but no aftermarket parts on my car.
It's running fine now actually. They replaced it entirely and claimed that fuel might have been the problem, but I always fill up 93, so I'm guessing it was just bad fuel.

Now the annoying steering wheel vibration is a different story. It's getting worse and worse every day. Imagine holding a power tool or electric toothbrush-that's what it feels like 95% of the time when holding the steering wheel in any position.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Tires balanced? hows your alignment? I get the vib but its on the same road every time not constant on all roads.

Quote:

Now the annoying steering wheel vibration is a different story. It's getting worse and worse every day. Imagine holding a power tool or electric toothbrush-that's what it feels like 95% of the time when holding the steering wheel in any position.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
boots, your post set him off for sure and he is not coming back.
Be nice next time......
Yeah thats right, be nice boots.

In all seriousness, I even forget how the M5 drives. Its been stored since end of October.

I was not trying to say that driving it hard eliminates all the problems, just suggesting to drive the car the way it was built for.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah that makes sense Alex, why else would we be buying M's lol.

Spinny, everything's been checked. It's a known problem and I know a few who have used lemon law just for steering wheel vibration and it worked--entirety of m5 bought back by dealership because of it. Mine is honestly horrible but I have to deal with it and wouldn't call it lemon. Just hoping it clears away even though I already have 6k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #20
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense Alex, why else would we be buying M's lol.

Spinny, everything's been checked. It's a known problem and I know a few who have used lemon law just for steering wheel vibration and it worked--entirety of m5 bought back by dealership because of it. Mine is honestly horrible but I have to deal with it and wouldn't call it lemon. Just hoping it clears away even though I already have 6k miles.
it hasnt cleared on mine after so many miles.. I just try and forget about it, even though it is very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'll be nice Alexey. Hope he don't go anywhere. Lol. Hopefully the op gets his car fixed so he can drive it like he stole it. Green machine, you got me in trouble....LOL

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots
I'll be nice Alexey. Hope he don't go anywhere. Lol. Hopefully the op gets his car fixed so he can drive it like he stole it. Green machine, you got me in trouble....LOL
I've gotten it back since and it's supposedly all fixed, I'm just waiting for valves to get done. Should have it tomorrow. So much ///m withdrawal the last few days!
Appreciate 0