stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot
Oh yeah some of them look like shit too... Here's a frozen imperial blue at the Welt...

I think these are easy to take care of but have the possibility of shinying up over time. Truth is, they just haven't been out in the wild long enough to know for sure.
Generally it only looks good on metal colors like silver, pewter, bronze, gold. In these instances it makes the car look like a sculpture by accentuating the lines and design, as well as bringing out the natural metallic lustre of the paint.

One exception is frozen black. Frozen black is simply stunning (to the naked eye but hard to capture in photos).

On dark blue it looks stupid. I haven't seem it on bright colors like Monte Carlo blue and am curious how that looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #24
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Frozen Cashmere !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
the from paints are harder to take care of than regular paint no question. how much more is the debate, in my mind not that much more but there are certain things you need to be cautious about. also get a bumper respray and it matching is more difficult.

personally I don't like the frozen colours, a car should shine.
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
I've got a Jet Black and a Frozen Black, the JB is much harder to keep clean. Plus you don't have to wax the Frozen.
      09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #27
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Generally it only looks good on metal colors like silver, pewter, bronze, gold. In these instances it makes the car look like a sculpture by accentuating the lines and design, as well as bringing out the natural metallic lustre of the paint.

One exception is frozen black. Frozen black is simply stunning (to the naked eye but hard to capture in photos).

On dark blue it looks stupid. I haven't seem it on bright colors like Monte Carlo blue and am curious how that looks.
100% right about the metal colors.

I did not like the two examples of frozen black I saw in person.. but the interior choices may have influenced my decision.

Frozen MCB is actually quite nice too... saw two different examples of it as well on M5s and did like it.

If it were me, though, I would go Frozen silver, Frozen Grey, or Frozen White... however at the end of the day I chickened out because I was worried about RIDS and repaint matching issues... If I am going to pay a ton to wrap the car to protect, might as well save the $5k for individual paint and wrap it with a matte film that can be removed if frozen colors turn out to be a fad.

And Stealth, though I think you may have gone the other way, Frozen Bronze type colors can look fantastic on the right car. This car was amazing looking:

09-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

Quote:
In person, Frozen Black looks akin to dark primer IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Love the Frozen blue LCI
      09-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFerrari
Quote:
In person, Frozen Black looks akin to dark primer IMHO.
More like silk. You sound like you saw a wrap job and think its a paint job.

Primer doesn't shine. Frozen Black has a satin shine.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #32
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriston
Frozen white with Sakhir interior. Gaw damn!
+1
      09-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

But what do you when you get rock chips on your frozen paint? Do you have to clear-bra the entire car just to protect against rock chips?

I like frozen paint, but I like driving the M5 more than just looking at it.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
But what do you when you get rock chips on your frozen paint? Do you have to clear-bra the entire car just to protect against rock chips?

I like frozen paint, but I like driving the M5 more than just looking at it.
Rock chips are just as much an issue on gloss cars as satin cars.

You can't buff out a rock chip. You can only use dr colorchip (which just colors it but doesn't fill it) or you can repaint panel. Satin and gloss paints have same issue.

You don't need to clearbra the entire thing, just the entire front clip.

Believe me I drive just like you do. The reason I don't post my videos is because I don't want to go to jail like the dude who recently lapped manhattan!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #35
SriRamJaiRam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 i35d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I believe that's what this announcement is about. They will become 'standard' Individual colors available and no longer be special order colors.
Great. I would love to see increased purchase of frozen paints. It will help dispel the belief that these are hard to take care of.
Can you share more about your comment and up keep for frozen colors?. I've been discouraged to get a frozen color by other people as they say they are very high maintenance,etc... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #36
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriRamJaiRam View Post
Can you share more about your comment and up keep for frozen colors?. I've been discouraged to get a frozen color by other people as they say they are very high maintenance,etc... Thanks!
Maintenance is pretty much the same (for those of us OCD) or less as (at least in theory) you don't have to use any final detailing products etc .
Most important part is not to use any products which have ingredients in them which make the paint shine (wax etc) . There are plenty of products designed for use on matte/frozen paint finishes.
The biggest challenge with frozen paint are scratches as you can't polish them out easily, given the unique appearance of frozen paint it does attract lots of folks touching the paint to "check" if it feels rough / unfinished (which it doesn't) . But that's probably the scariest part of owning a frozen paint car (and one of the reasons I didn't pick it) as I have seen a number of frozen cars at dealers and on the street which had marks from rings etc (or simple scratches from other impacts). Repairing frozen paint is very similar to other finishes, it just uses another type of clear coat.
However normal scratches/marring is pretty much invisible on frozen paint so there's also a benefit to it
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
Rep
Drives: 2009 Nissan GT-R

I have been trying to order a new 2014 Frozen White M5 from my local dealer in TN and

I have been trying to order a new 2014 Frozen White M5 from my local dealer in TN and they have just let me know that the inside BMW reps in Germany say there is a production stop on all Frozen colors for the 2014 model year. They are telling me that so many customers are unable to understand how to maintain their Frozen color cars that BMW has decided to stop any further production of the Frozen colors.

Anyone else heard this information???
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep
Drives: EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post
I have been trying to order a new 2014 Frozen White M5 from my local dealer in TN and they have just let me know that the inside BMW reps in Germany say there is a production stop on all Frozen colors for the 2014 model year. They are telling me that so many customers are unable to understand how to maintain their Frozen color cars that BMW has decided to stop any further production of the Frozen colors.

This is negative... just ordered a 2014 M6 in frozen white...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #39
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post

Wow. That would be a failure on the part of the salesman. If you can't educate your client what they are buying you shouldn't be a salesperson.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #40
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Rock chips are just as much an issue on gloss cars as satin cars.

You can't buff out a rock chip. You can only use dr colorchip (which just colors it but doesn't fill it) or you can repaint panel. Satin and gloss paints have same issue.

You don't need to clearbra the entire thing, just the entire front clip.
The difference is that a competent detailer can layer paint in rock/stone chips and then & polish level with gloss lacquer. Obviously too many and you will, as you say, be in the same position as frozen, i.e. repaint.

Same goes for rounding the edges from RIDS through polishing (as I believe B-1 is alluding to above).

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-05-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #41
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
If I am going to pay a ton to wrap the car to protect, might as well save the $5k for individual paint and wrap it with a matte film that can be removed if frozen colors turn out to be a fad.
@mstmng have you done your matt wrap over SSII thread yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #42
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
If I am going to pay a ton to wrap the car to protect, might as well save the $5k for individual paint and wrap it with a matte film that can be removed if frozen colors turn out to be a fad.
@mstmng have you done your matt wrap over SSII thread yet?
On holidays mate
Dont have time atm
Will be up by the end of a week
Appreciate 0