Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Night Vision a waste?

Driving through a rural area last night, I finally tried to use my night vision for the use it was designed for. In retrospect, I shouldn't have ordered it, as I use it so sparingly. Does anyone on the board use it routinely?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
AttyGunther
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 M5~11 Z435is~14 K1600GTL-E

Well, despite my collision with a deer (http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ht=Deer&page=2) with night vision ON, I still have faith in the system. I added the option specifically because I vacation in an area with a lot of deer. While it does detect certain animals and pedestrians, it's no replacement for sensible driving given the conditions. The system did work, just too late given the deer ran from the side, outside the view of the camera, and then apparently into the field of view. I never saw the deer, even after impact... Just the "it's too late" warning in the HUD.

I see the irony in my accident, but I would order it again. I think whether you want it depends on where you drive. When I'm home in the suburbs of Chicago, I never use it, but I always have (correction, "had" since I don't have my car back yet) it on in the rural areas.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the system always "on" regardless of whether you have the display up? If a collision is imminent, I think you'll still get the warning in the HUD even if the image is not on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyGunther View Post
Well, despite my collision with a deer (http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ht=Deer&page=2) with night vision ON, I still have faith in the system. I added the option specifically because I vacation in an area with a lot of deer. While it does detect certain animals and pedestrians, it's no replacement for sensible driving given the conditions. The system did work, just too late given the deer ran from the side, outside the view of the camera, and then apparently into the field of view. I never saw the deer, even after impact... Just the "it's too late" warning in the HUD.

I see the irony in my accident, but I would order it again. I think whether you want it depends on where you drive. When I'm home in the suburbs of Chicago, I never use it, but I always have (correction, "had" since I don't have my car back yet) it on in the rural areas.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the system always "on" regardless of whether you have the display up? If a collision is imminent, I think you'll still get the warning in the HUD even if the image is not on the screen.
I think NV is a separate system from collision detection. NV is not always on i believe because sometimes when u activate it, it appears to "start"...
I use it in wooded areas, high density urban settings, and to wow passengers.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
mimustang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5, 2023 X7 M60i

Ordered it on mine, use it every once in a while, mostly for deer in the country. It's very distracting to look up and down at the screen constantly and find eyes getting fatigued quickly. There's only one good reason to have it - wow factor with the passengers - which I have to admit certainly gets good press. I won't order on my next one in 22 months (and counting).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimustang View Post
Ordered it on mine, use it every once in a while, mostly for deer in the country. It's very distracting to look up and down at the screen constantly and find eyes getting fatigued quickly. There's only one good reason to have it - wow factor with the passengers - which I have to admit certainly gets good press. I won't order on my next one in 22 months (and counting).
Actually, you should be doing the opposite.
When a threat is detected it is displayed in the HUD. Then, you can look at the NV screen to see just where the threat is (after checking the path ahead of your car first). I have my passenger keep eyes on the NV screen if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

That's my point. It's a distraction having to avert your eyes that distance while driving at night.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

BMW system is not the best among the Germans, but does work.
Personally I won't get it.
      11-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Driving through a rural area last night, I finally tried to use my night vision for the use it was designed for. In retrospect, I shouldn't have ordered it, as I use it so sparingly. Does anyone on the board use it routinely?
Unfortunately most accidents with dear are running across from the side close to the cars, so nothing warns you but the impact.
Wast of money if you ask me, keep a good eye open and speed down in the areas where they are prolific.
      11-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
skrambles297
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 (Black Sapphire) F10

So, it's not for evading po-po, Jackie Chan-style?

+1 on it being a waste of $$$
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

NV is no replacement for an attentive driver. However, I find it very helpful when driving in a more densely populated area when:

A) ...it is poorly lit (or even not lit) street and someone with a death wish is wearing all dark colors and pretend the road is a sidewalk.
B) ...driving that 1000ft to the house and wanting to more quickly identifying the occasional domesticated animal (cat/dog) in the neighborhood road
C) ....is at night, has just barely stopped raining, and the glare of streetlights bouncing off the wet road makes it difficult to see.

In none of these cases do I wait for Pedestrian Detect to go off. I just make occasional glances for that time I think there is poor visibility ahead.

Other observations:

Cows in a field are super hot.
You can tell who on your team just got to work by checking their exhaust/tires as you park. [I 'would' never do this, but you 'could.' )
Useful for seeing the support structures in RVs.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
skrambles297
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 (Black Sapphire) F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Other observations:

Cows in a field are super hot.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
sf23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F10 M5 CP MCB

Had NV in my last 750. Don't miss it now. Nice gimmick but no practical use.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I like it. It did spot deer in Germany and people. I think they could have better executed it and included it in much of the other integrated systems. I did not get how sometimes it would see people and warned me way early and other times i was scratching my head on why it did not even see pedestrians on the sidewalk next to me. has some odd behaviors.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
I like it. It did spot deer in Germany and people. I think they could have better executed it and included it in much of the other integrated systems. I did not get how sometimes it would see people and warned me way early and other times i was scratching my head on why it did not even see pedestrians on the sidewalk next to me. has some odd behaviors.
This = no confidence and there for a wast of money, it would make me more on edge if it were "intermittent".
      11-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
The system calculates the trajectory of the threat and determines if the threat has a vector for collision, then the system will alert you. It can differentiate a person walking on a collision path with your car versus a person walking by the side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt View Post
The system calculates the trajectory of the threat and determines if the threat has a vector for collision, then the system will alert you. It can differentiate a person walking on a collision path with your car versus a person walking by the side of the road.
By then you have hit and Killed the dear or dears.
I was coming home tonight at dusk and 4 Large Dear ploughed across the road within 10 meters of me, I just slowed enough for the last one to go behind the car, these F**king Dear tend to break into a run just when you are on them.
We were lucky I was on the ball. Night vision would have been totally useless.