Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Gt3, Gt3, Gt3. 14, 14, 14,. Gt3.
Definitely purchasing the GT3 next summer once allocations open up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller View Post
I love the 911. Always wanted a 991 but was out of what I wanted to spend. Then, like you, I received a substantial discount off a 2013 (16K) which made it more reasonable for me. The reason I asked about MSRP is mine was that price (131,045) and there are a bunch of those 2013's still around. They were what Porsche calls "launch vehicles", meaning they came out with intro of C4S, so they are all optioned the same way. Had almost everything I wanted plus a couple things I would not have ordered, PDCC and PSE being the main items (but now that I have them I am glad the car came with them). Unlike some, I could not justify keeping both my M5 and my 911. I ended up placing my M5 for sale on autotrader. Over 3 weeks and only one call. MSRP 99K, listed for 86K. So I ended up selling to a BMW dealer for 79.5K. They ended up selling for 83.5K. Anyway, loved my M5 both are of course great cars, but I realized I was not really utilizing the added practicality most the time. Good opportunity came up for another car I have always wanted to own, so I took it. At some point I am sure I will get back to a sedan like M5, perhaps as a second car but we will see. Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy the new ride.
You and I practically did the same exact thing. Looking forward to it and keep enjoying yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Congrats Tourbillon- you got a smoking deal too. Can you post some pics!!???

At 139k plus sticker you must have some excellent options.
Thanks, I was actually shocked when they accepted my offer. It has everything I would have ideally spec'c out (18 way seats with adjustable bolsters again!, PDCC, Sport Exhaust, Sunroof in Glass, Sport Chrono, Park Assist, along with others including more detailed items like red gauges and red seat belts.) The only missing option is the aerokit cup, but I'm planning on buying it from Suncoast and adding it.

Now I'm waiting for the shipping carrier to pick it up and give me a delivery date. Will post pics soon!

Here is one from the dealer:
Attached Images

Last edited by Tourbillon; 10-02-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Awesome Guards Red !!!!!!!!!!!!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #47
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
Thanks everyone!

Definitely purchasing the GT3 next summer once allocations open up!

You and I practically did the same exact thing. Looking forward to it and keep enjoying yourself!

Thanks, I was actually shocked when they accepted my offer. It has everything I would have ideally spec'c out (18 way seats with adjustable bolsters again!, PDCC, Sport Exhaust, Sunroof in Glass, Sport Chrono, Park Assist, along with others including more detailed items like red gauges and red seat belts.) The only missing option is the aerokit cup, but I'm planning on buying it from Suncoast and adding it.

Now I'm waiting for the shipping carrier to pick it up and give me a delivery date. Will post pics soon!

Here is one from the dealer:
Gutsy move with the RED looks hot, and the gauges must be gorgeous!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #48
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaochinsan View Post
I should include more detail

My long trip meant family long trip with kids.

Wife and I prefer to drive our SUV for most of the trip.
Yes thats when I use the Escalade for the dirty trips
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
The dark side was a joke that started back in May. The previous thread was locked, and you don't want To bring up that mess. Long story several of us bought 991's as a second card, and Coldlst hated the 991. He drove the car still hated. Drove it agin and loved the car and posted pic. We called him young skywalker as he was fighting to turn to another brand. By the way he still has M6 so he still loves the M car as I do. Hope that helps.
I "understand" the context now. I suppose part of the reason the thread was closed was for similar reasons I have when I say how stupid calling a Porsche 911 the "dark side" is - which does it not make any actual sense given the Star Wars reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
It started because Bimmers 6 was being funny with me and Vic and talking "Star Wars" language. Haha..a joke. All in fun. Look at his icon.
As I said earlier in this reply, I "get" the reference now, but it seems that this reference is not well received by other members of the forum here. I am a former 911 owner myself, and as I said earlier in this thread, the comparison of a 5 series to a 911 is, well, ridiculous.

The only remote competitor to the M5 from Porsche is the Panamera, and even that car is really more comparable to the 7 than the 5.

When someone makes a thread "Goodbye M5" - I click on it thinking that someone is going to post a factual, objective reason they are dumping their car after one year. What I keep seeing is people who've made a mistake buying the M5 to begin with, and somehow glossed over that it is a 4300lb, RWD, midsize luxury 4-door sedan... and that yes, a 991 is going to handle better.

One would think simple logic and and understanding of physics would prevent this mistake, but apparently for board members it takes a year and $20k in depreciation.
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 10-02-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Congrats buddy. 19.5k off is very impressive.
I wish I can jump on a 911, but priority is to buy a house.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post
I "understand" the context now. I suppose part of the reason the thread was closed was for similar reasons I have when I say how stupid calling a Porsche 911 the "dark side" is - which does it not make any actual sense given the Star Wars reference.

As I said earlier in this reply, I "get" the reference now, but it seems that this reference is not well received by other members of the forum here. I am a former 911 owner myself, and as I said earlier in this thread, the comparison of a 5 series to a 911 is, well, ridiculous.

The only remote competitor to the M5 is the Panamera, and even that car is really more comparable to the 7 than the 5.

When someone makes a thread "Goodbye M5" - I click on it thinking that someone is going to post a factual, objective reason they are dumping their car after one year. What I keep seeing is people who've made a mistake buying the M5 to begin with, and somehow glossed over that it is a 4300lb, RWD, midsize luxury 4-door sedan... and that yes, a 991 is going to handle better.

One would think simple logic and and understanding of physics would prevent this mistake, but apparently for board members it takes a year and $20k in depreciation.
I have no idea why people make mistakes, or theirthinking. The two above still have M cars as this it's another option to drive. If I were you I wouldn't read into why people make choices it would be rather tiresome. The questions started from other board memebers that has questions about the discussion, and some added another car while keeping the M. Some said I change my mind on my purchase hell it's like changing girlfriends when you were younger is all I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #52
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
I have no idea why people make mistakes, or theirthinking. The two above still have M cars as this it's another option to drive. If I were you I wouldn't read into why people make choices it would be rather tiresome. The questions started from other board memebers that has questions about the discussion, and some added another car while keeping the M. Some said I change my mind on my purchase hell it's like changing girlfriends when you were younger is all I'd say.
I have been on automotive forums for over a decade and you are absolutely correct, trying to understand people's mistakes and acts of... shall we say... poor judgement... will drive any sane person off the deep end.

The point I am trying to make is that this forum is about the F10 M5... not about why certain F10 M5 owners don't know how to buy cars and realized that a totally different car (the 911, a 3 series, a tricycle) was the better choice for them.

At the same time you feel you are joking how the 911 is some dark side, really you all are making yourself look quite... silly... not only by stating obvious facts such as a sports car such as a 911 with 1000 less pounds and 2 less doors handles better than an M5... but also pointing out that you somehow bought a car who's utility as a "do-it-all" midsize 4 door luxury sedan defines its heritage is completely irrelevant and/or unknown to you.

In other words, these thread reads to me as "Went swimming, loved it, then I realized after a year and $20,000 less in my pocket book I hate being in the water."

1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #53
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have been on automotive forums for over a decade and you are absolutely correct, trying to understand people's mistakes and acts of... shall we say... poor judgement... will drive any sane person off the deep end.

The point I am trying to make is that this forum is about the F10 M5... not about why certain F10 M5 owners don't know how to buy cars and realized that a totally different car (the 911, a 3 series, a tricycle) was the better choice for them.

At the same time you feel you are joking how the 911 is some dark side, really you all are making yourself look quite... silly... not only by stating obvious facts such as a sports car such as a 911 with 1000 less pounds and 2 less doors handles better than an M5... but also pointing out that you somehow bought a car who's utility as a "do-it-all" midsize 4 door luxury sedan defines its heritage is completely irrelevant and/or unknown to you.

In other words, these thread reads to me as "Went swimming, loved it, then I realized after a year and $20,000 less in my pocket book I hate being in the water."

Sorry you really lost me here. How it it silly when I have both cars, and three othersni don't discuss on this board. (so what is HR silly choice). My comment about the dark side was to a friend "Cold" who happens to own a 991 and a M4 and the other friend is ViC who has a 991 R8 and a whole mess of other cars. We were chatting with each other, and others chimed in and asked question. So fella you have no idea what you're talking about. Second all the long time board members are asking the questions so we should say no can't answer because it's a secret board? Read before you question, and if you see my post I have not compared a 911 vs. the M5 my friend. Not sure about losing 20k I have titles for all my cars. I went to M school with some of the members here, and also ED last year apart of the US launch customer group. My rapport has been stellar with this group Judge Judy.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:

Huh? Mistake? I don't consider my M5 a mistake. I consider the 991 a "change" based upon a change in needs. I bought a truck to handle family outings and now I don't need a four door. Voila! "Change".

I did a similar thing with the E60 M5. I didn't have a change in needs. I had a change in "wants". I saw a gorgeous F10 while I was at the dealer for another reason and so I bought it. Voila! Change again.

Similar thing with the X5 the wife was driving. The truck also negated the need for the SUV. Bought an F12 M6 cab. Voila! Change again.

Same for my previous several cars. My HUMMERs and a slew of BMWs...needs and wants changed. Never felt "hhhmmmm...I made a mistake so I need to switch cars." I LIKE buying cars. That's what I do. That's what I'll keep doing. I have the luxury of doing so. Already eyeing the 991 Turbo or Turbo S. Won't be a decision based on mistake. Purely on future want (ok sometimes these are just "whims").

OK, you are really hung up on this dark side thing. We, as friends, were calling each other Star Wars names and playing around (yeah-weir that we would do this as adults huh?) It had nothing to do with the ca initially and it doesn't really.

We truly should have just said "light side". You'd have gotten it then?

Your swimming analogy is pretty good but it would be more like "I went swimming then after a year of having a total blast on my $20K (cheap pool for that) I decided to try skiing too. I bought a cabin on the mountains. Cost me even more. Had a lot of fun there too. Prob. sell it and take a loss eventually but man was it fun. Fun. Fun. Fun!...Hey, maybe I'll go swimming again :-)" Live life my friend. Stop worrying about others enjoying theirs too much.

We should all be very grateful to have whatever it is we have. Imagine how less fortunate people than us would look at us arguing over these things. The saddest people are those who care only about themselves and who spend time worrying about how others perceive them and feeling like they have to put others down to feel significant. When we live outward we are the happiest. I am personally done with the criticisms. I just got out of the hospital for the 2nd time in 5 weeks for a minor heart issue. It is nothing dangerous or severe but it sure brings life right back into perspective in an instant. God Bless everyone.....and Wow! Is that Guards Red GORGEOUS or what?!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #55
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Thank you everyone for your appreciation and compliments. Rather than keep this thread alive by replying and then posting more pictures in a few days once it arrives, I won't be doing so. I do not want to keep this debating alive because of a few members continual negative comments.

Some of us here are TRUE enthusiasts and not just M5 only fan boys. The M5 served me well, but my needs have changed.

There are some truly great people here and I have sincerely enjoyed my time.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy your vehicles in good health!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #56
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
Thank you everyone for your appreciation and compliments. Rather than keep this thread alive by replying and then posting more pictures in a few days once it arrives, I won't be doing so. I do not want to keep this debating alive because of a few members continual negative comments.

Some of us here are TRUE enthusiasts and not just M5 only fan boys. The M5 served me well, but my needs have changed.

There are some truly great people here and I have sincerely enjoyed my time.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy your vehicles in good health!!
Wow! Great post my friend. Enjoy your car. I'm sure you'll be in on our little PM circle :-)

I do think you should post a review here when you get it. Us enthusiasts would love to hear about your experience and genuine thoughts. Let negative people be negative. It's really just one guy and it is sad. He is really impacting the enjoyment of others on this forum. Hopefully Jason sees it soon.

Congrats again.

Mike
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread