M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-16-2014, 12:43 AM   #1
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Need help with possible Turner Exhaust Issue

Hi All,
I put the Turner Exhaust on today. I notice a power drop that to me is pretty obvious. I looked under the car, and noticed that the installer didn't cap the 2 vacuum lines from the original exhaust, so I went ahead and capped those. Even after, I can't get the car to lose traction in first or 2nd, even from a dead stop. Before, it was pretty much any stop light where too much power would kick on the DSC.

Does the new Exhaust require some training time for the ECU, or could it be something else?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

When I was looking into getting a Turner Exhaust I did see allot of reports of loss of power. Most said it was related to vacuum lines not being plugged but others like yourself experienced loss of power even after having the line plugged. Don't have any suggestions unfortunately since I decided not to get it but when I had PM'd 2 guys who had loss of power while I was researching the exhaust they both said the problem worked itself out after about 50-100 miles. Let us know how it works out.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
The car did seem a lot more responsive today and 2nd gear seems to be getting back to what I remember it had been like (even though my entire frame of reference is 500 miles before hand). I'll keep you posted..

Edit:
Let me add the sound is amazing when you are on it, and the gear changes at s3 produce an awesome quick burble..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
The car did seem a lot more responsive today and 2nd gear seems to be getting back to what I remember it had been like (even though my entire frame of reference is 500 miles before hand). I'll keep you posted..

Edit:
Let me add the sound is amazing when you are on it, and the gear changes at s3 produce an awesome quick burble..
With the windows up, how much louder is it inside the cabin when compared to stock?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
With the windows up, it depends on where you are in the rev range.
Over 2000, if you are cruising, it is pretty much the same.
When you are on the gas, it is louder.
The biggest change is around 1800 RPM. Around here, it is a lot louder than stock.
It's a deep growly rumble under 1800. On the freeway, for example, in 7th gear, you drop to around 1800 at typical highway speeds. There you notice it is louder than stock by a good bit. Drop down to 6th, and the rpm goes up a few hundred revs, and it is pretty much around stock. Hit the gas though, and it is louder.
In general, the entire rpm range sounds deeper with some awesome gurgles and hiccups.

Add:
With the windows down, it is actually not that much different. Just a little louder, but not much.
Today I drove home with my window down and the sunroof partially open as I was on some backroads, and really wanted to hear it. .
In these instances, the exhaust is borderline glorious. When in traffic, it's not nearly as exciting to have it sound that way
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Updates

Okay, for those who are interested:

I'm getting used to even the loudest parts of the exhaust range now, and it is really starting to grow on me. Whereas the first ride home, I had considered it was too loud around the 1700-2000 range when going down in the rev range (off-throttle), now that doesn't seem to be much of a bother. This may have been because I haven't had a loud exhaust in a LONG time, and it took some getting used to. It could also be that I'm not such a young man anymore
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

DO you still have that loss of power?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
No, I think it is back to normal now after a few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
No, I think it is back to normal now after a few days.
+1
The car has to adapt beause its not used to all that free flowing. When I had a buddy of mine build me a rear muffler delete the car had no power what's so ever. I was excited for the power loss because I knew there would be power to be made.
After a couple of third gear pulls and letting the car adapt by the third day or so was a beast
When I put it in the dyno it didnt show much peak whp an only gained 13 wtrq. But when you looked at the dybo compared to the last dyno it made a huge improvement.

In the midrange made 30 whp and 40 wtrq, plus the torque came in 1000 RPM sooner, that is huge.

Where the car made 600 wtrq at 4200 RPM now it made 613 wtrq at 3200 RPM
That's another 100 wtrq at 3200 rpm even though peak numbers didn't show much it definitely showed comparing both graphs

Now my car would burn third gear at 40mph because of all the torque down low. I also have catless DPs so its a lot louder an cruising at 2000 RPM will drone. Doesn't bother me much for I play with the gears and since I don't drive it every day I'm gonna leave it as is.

Anyway enjoy the sound an performance take care
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
+1
The car has to adapt beause its not used to all that free flowing.
m6beast, thank you for the help today with the BMS tune installation tips! I'm looking forward to hearing an update about your custom intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

I have the tms exhaust and I never felt loss in power
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
A week into it, I've gotten accustomed to the sound, and it doesn't seem that loud anymore. (In that it doesn't seem too loud).
Appreciate 0