BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

On the hunt for used M5, questions for the experts

I've been on the hunt for a new car for a while and was actually waiting on the new Mercedes C450 to hit showrooms (a lot to like about that car). While i've been waiting I came across an ad for a low mileage 2013 M5 and was blown away at the price so I started looking around. Once I realized that a decently low mileage M5 was priced similar to where the C450 is going to be my search drastically changed. So long story short i'm now on the market for a car that I have always loved but thought that I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford
So a few questions, any and all replys are much appreciated:
1- Any common issues that I should be on the look out for (ie squealing brakes?)

2- for 2013/2014 were there 2 or 3 levels of leather interiors? Looking at used cars if the leather is on the dash that means it has full, was there any other leather upgrades?

3- I love the SO interior.... but worry about keeping it clean. I'm almost always in slacks but when I do wear jeans they are definitely the type that could mark up some beautiful red seats... should I just be looking at black interiors or is there an easy way to clean and maintain the red/silver/white interior colors even against raw denim jeans?

4- I know I don't care about night vision, but am iffy on Driver Assistance. The surround view cameras would be great, but are there any other bits from that package that are worth it?

5- It seems like the only options that I'm looking for are Exec Pack (must have, identifiable by cooled seat buttons), full leather (must have for me, identifiable by leather on dash), DAP (????, identifiable by buttons to the left of steering wheel), and B and O sound (really want but maybe not a must have, identifiable by silver speaker grills/dash). Am I missing anything and if so how can i identify from listing pics whether the car has the option?

6- 2014 cars still have transferable maintenance packages right?

Allright, thanks so much for any help. God bless depreciation, as much as I love cars I don't believe its a good idea to ever stretch financially for a car and I can't believe where these cars are priced right now. There is absolutely nothing else in the $60k-$70k range that gets me even 20% as excited as the M5.

Best.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
M8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

1. Mine is a '13 with about 15K. Not a single problem yet. Others on this board have over 50K and seem to be trouble free.

2. I have full leather black. As far as I know, it's either full leather (including dash) or not. Nothing in between.

3. My leather is black and looks great. I was worried the SO would be trendy after a few years and then would remind people of the 1970s. Although I love the way it looks, thought black was classier. My opinion only!

4. Don't have night vision but have heads up display which is excellent. B&O is nice but I've never heard the standard one. Driver's Assistance is more of a nuisance than help but mine works fine and if you don't like it, it can be turned off. Soft close doors are nice feature. Ceramic brakes are also an option if you think you might track the car. Otherwise, brakes are great.

5. Other options, ceramic brakes, headliner, night vision. Ceramic brakes are yellow as opposed to blue. I think you have all the other options available.

6. Not sure about maintenance packages but I would be very surprised if they weren't transferable. Can call dealership and they can answer for sure.

The car will not disappoint. Still puts a smile on my face! Good luck hunting.
Cadillac Escalade
Subaru Outback (it's required in Boulder!)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8 View Post
1. Mine is a '13 with about 15K. Not a single problem yet. Others on this board have over 50K and seem to be trouble free.

2. I have full leather black. As far as I know, it's either full leather (including dash) or not. Nothing in between.

3. My leather is black and looks great. I was worried the SO would be trendy after a few years and then would remind people of the 1970s. Although I love the way it looks, thought black was classier. My opinion only!

4. Don't have night vision but have heads up display which is excellent. B&O is nice but I've never heard the standard one. Driver's Assistance is more of a nuisance than help but mine works fine and if you don't like it, it can be turned off. Soft close doors are nice feature. Ceramic brakes are also an option if you think you might track the car. Otherwise, brakes are great.

5. Other options, ceramic brakes, headliner, night vision. Ceramic brakes are yellow as opposed to blue. I think you have all the other options available.

6. Not sure about maintenance packages but I would be very surprised if they weren't transferable. Can call dealership and they can answer for sure.

The car will not disappoint. Still puts a smile on my face! Good luck hunting.
Thank you! What is the standard headliner vs optional? I want black suede/alcantara which I thought was standard... not so?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Thank you! What is the standard headliner vs optional? I want black suede/alcantara which I thought was standard... not so?
Black (or charcoal?) Alcantara is standard. He might've been referring to Upholstery Matched Alcantara. I went for that in my M5 to match the Amaro Brown Leather. Surprisingly that was a "no cost" option.

I haven't seen it in many other M5's. Is that possible for all leather choices?

It's a nice touch IMO. Not the best pic but you get the idea.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020

Last edited by bruza; 02-10-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruza View Post
Black (or charcoal?) Alcantara is standard. He might've been referring to Upholstery Matched Alcantara. I went for that in my M5 to match the Amaro Brown Leather. Surprisingly that was a "no cost" option.

I haven't seen it in many other M5's. Is that possible for all leather choices?

It's a nice touch IMO. Not the best pic but you get the idea.

Oh wow... had no idea that was an option... with the Amaro it looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
X6NYC
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I recently purchased a '13 and think the following would be helpful to know for any future owner:

First, full leather, even in black, was just a must for me. The thought of a plastic dash in a car with such a gorgeous interior was just a nonstarter in a used car world where there was minimal cost difference.

Second, B&O was also a must for me but, the more I read about it, it's obviously not a must have. Again, in the world where you and I aren't paying $3700 for it (usually), it is a pretty cool feature though, if you find a great deal on a non B&O car, I wouldn't let not having you sway one.

Third, in terms of problems with the car, squealing brakes are an issue, I believe for all model years, and BMW recently released a SIB to address this. I have not yet taken my car in but the SIB has seemed to work with most folks.

Fourth, note that MY 2014 came with competition package which, depending on who you talk to, improved the driving experience to varying degrees. I didn't want to spend the premium on the used market to get a comp package 2014 but you may prefer it and would wait a year or less for those prices to drop as well. MY 2014 also comes with a better steering rack (stock) as well as the black kidneys and rear lights (I believe).

Fifth, I have the drivers assistance package and, in DC, it's nice to have those side and top cams to avoid curbs. The driver aids arent necessary but I don't hate them at all and makes me feel better that they are present when other family members drive the car.

Sixth, maintenance is transferable up through the '14 cars.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
M8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Sorry, I was referring to the Upholstery Matched Alcantra option.
Cadillac Escalade
Subaru Outback (it's required in Boulder!)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
sandecker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB M3 Ultimate DCT

While i'm no 'expert' I do read the forums here and also hope to acquire an M5 at some point down the road.

The 2 issues that stand out as a concern for me, from what i've read:
1. Steering wheel vibration - some members report excessive steering wheel vibration to the point of numbing hands on extended trips. I understand this is a low percentage of cars - but also that attempts to repair cars with this issue involve significant replacement of various parts and in many cases the vibration remains. I would want to make sure not to buy a car with this issue.

2. Oil consumption. Excessive on some cars, non-existant on others. Might have some bearing on whether proper break-in procedures were followed? Note that while some may be adding a litre/quart every few fill-ups, I understand in these cases that it still falls within consumption limits according to BMW - so its not necessarily an issue that can or needs to be 'fixed' - just that on some cars you will need to add oil while others this is not the case.

So as a buyer I might inquire about these 2 issues as part of your due diligence.

Both these issues are discussed here on the forums if you search.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandecker View Post
While i'm no 'expert' I do read the forums here and also hope to acquire an M5 at some point down the road.

The 2 issues that stand out as a concern for me, from what i've read:
1. Steering wheel vibration - some members report excessive steering wheel vibration to the point of numbing hands on extended trips. I understand this is a low percentage of cars - but also that attempts to repair cars with this issue involve significant replacement of various parts and in many cases the vibration remains. I would want to make sure not to buy a car with this issue.

2. Oil consumption. Excessive on some cars, non-existant on others. Might have some bearing on whether proper break-in procedures were followed? Note that while some may be adding a litre/quart every few fill-ups, I understand in these cases that it still falls within consumption limits according to BMW - so its not necessarily an issue that can or needs to be 'fixed' - just that on some cars you will need to add oil while others this is not the case.

So as a buyer I might inquire about these 2 issues as part of your due diligence.

Both these issues are discussed here on the forums if you search.
Great points and I agree on those also.

I just try to switch hands on long trips to prevent the numbness.
I also always keep a quart of oil in my trunk just in case.

The squealing brakes don't bother me as much as it used to... I basically just got used to it.

I don't have the Exec Pkg nor the Driver's Asst... I don't think I'm missing out on a lot. I have B&O though... very nice upgrade IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Go for it
The only car that managed to stop me from changing a car every year !!
I had it for 14 months and not even thinking about a possible replacement in the near or far future and I might as well finish the lease.

Though I was looking for someone to take it over but not anymore as no more ticking TIRES !! which we all thought ticking rotors !!

Sweet yet dangerous monster
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep

Thanks all for your thoughts.... Its an interesting search as prices are all over the place depending on Geography... Probably a good month to try and buy an M5 from Boston
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Thanks all for your thoughts.... Its an interesting search as prices are all over the place depending on Geography... Probably a good month to try and buy an M5 from Boston
You could get it for free
Just pick up -; )
LOL
Appreciate 0