M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Anyone planning on following break in procedure?

I'm not. I've been advised by many high performance and super car owners to avoid it if I want the best performance down the road. To their testament, I've driven all my vehicles hard from pick up and have not had any problems. In fact, I gave my supercharged range rover sport the hardest break in out of any vehicle and I'm putting down 0-60 times of 5.0-5.1 seconds consistently. Everyone else is doing about 5.5-5.6 seconds. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the M5
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I think someone on this forum received guidance from a BMW rep at the Welt that "sustained" speeds in excess of 100mph are not recommended.

Last edited by emmfive; 07-30-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
I'm not. I've been advised by many high performance and super car owners to avoid it if I want the best performance down the road. To their testament, I've driven all my vehicles hard from pick up and have not had any problems. In fact, I gave my supercharged range rover sport the hardest break in out of any vehicle and I'm putting down 0-60 times of 5.0-5.1 seconds consistently. Everyone else is doing about 5.5-5.6 seconds. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the M5
What the hell is a break in?
Yea I will not redline it pulling out of the WELT.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
I'm sure the car revs up fast, accordingly I bet I'll unintentionally exceed the max RPM guideline at least a couple times.

I think someone on this forum received guidance from a BMW rep at the Welt that "sustained" speeds in excess of 100mph are not recommended. I choose to interpret this guideline liberally.
I never understood that if it's so important not to rev high or go over 100mph for a long period of time, why wouldn't the vehicle alert you if you do or even prevent it?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is the dyno a good place for break in
      08-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
I never understood that if it's so important not to rev high or go over 100mph for a long period of time, why wouldn't the vehicle alert you if you do or even prevent it?
It isn't THAT important, at least not so important that BMW (or any brand) are willing to spend a ton of money and time developing technology to prevent this.

But why would almost all manufactorers advise you to follow a break in procedure? I don't think they have it just to mess with people..
And I think it's mostly not for the engine itself, it's more for the wear and tear parts.

But doesn't BMW (or is it Porsche?) have different oils in the car up until the first service?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post
It isn't THAT important, at least not so important that BMW (or any brand) are willing to spend a ton of money and time developing technology to prevent this.

But why would almost all manufactorers advise you to follow a break in procedure? I don't think they have it just to mess with people..
And I think it's mostly not for the engine itself, it's more for the wear and tear parts.

But doesn't BMW (or is it Porsche?) have different oils in the car up until the first service?
The main purpose of Break-In is to ensure longetivity of the components of the high performance vehicle. The parts that usually are broken in are the:

-Engine
-Transmission
-Differential

They will usually change the oil and the fluid of these components during the Break-In Service. Some manufacturers use a special kind of oil or fluid for Break-In also. The reason for this is because when an engine, tranmission, or differential is brand new, all of the moving parts haven't gotten a chance to fit and form to each other over time. So there can be a little bit of rubbing and chaffing that goes on, producing tiny metal particles that would be present in the oil and fluids. This is why they change them during the Break-In Servicing.

Additionally, now that cars are becoming more computerized, the software for the engine and other components may be programmed to keep the car from exceeding certain limits, such as rpms and/or speed.

The best advice I ever got concerning the Break-In is to just not let the vehicle sustain long periods of constant rpms and speeds. The vehicle components need a high degree of variation in rpm in order to form the best bonds internally. Basically, don't drive for long periods of time on the highway with your cruise control set to 65mph. Work that engine, work those components, but try to stay within the limits as much as you can.

I once had an E60 M5 that had an S85 engine shit itself on me. When I got my new engine in, my tech just told me what I just said in the previous paragraph. I ended up breaking in that engine by taking the car over 200mph during the RE-Break-In period for the new engine. After the Break-In Service the engine performed beautifully.

As for the F10 M5 in particular, I don't know for fact, but based on those descriptions of those people in Europe and the rest of the world who have had the Break-In Service complete, I'm pretty sure that the BMW Dealership changes the engines ECU software whereby full horsepower and torque are now available. Don't quote me on that, but that's the impression I've gotten after reading so many experiences.

As a side note, I plan on covering the required 1,200 miles during my Euro Delivery experience and I have already arranged for a BMW dealership in Germany to complete my Break-In Service, so that I may take my F10 M5 to the Nurburgring fully broken in. You only live once.

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-10-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
cpdp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm
Quote:
What the hell is a break in?
Yea I will not redline it pulling out of the WELT.
booooooring
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
M5 Orthodox
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The best advice I ever got concerning the Break-In is to just not let the vehicle sustain long periods of constant rpms and speeds. The vehicle components need a high degree of variation in rpm in order to form the best bonds internally. Basically, don't drive for long periods of time on the highway with your cruise control set to 65mph. Work that engine, work those components, but try to stay within the limits as much as you can.
+1

Couldn't agree with you more. There is definitely a wear-in period where materials forge to each other and form boundary layer lubrication. You want them to mate at various RPMs/speeds within the limit so as not to create resonance frequencies which may result in a more choppy transition.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox View Post
+1

Couldn't agree with you more. There is definitely a wear-in period where materials forge to each other and form boundary layer lubrication. You want them to mate at various RPMs/speeds within the limit so as not to create resonance frequencies which may result in a more choppy transition.
This isn't something special, it's part of the break-in process they recommend. I have always followed the process as closely as possible with only an occasional over-rev by mistake. All the cars ran great and never burned any oil. I see no upside to not doing what BMW engineers suggest.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I see no upside to not doing what BMW engineers suggest.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
My shop just replaced an engine in an sti for a customer. My tech advises every one to adhere to breakin recommendations. This particular customer didn't. Ended up doing the rebuild a second time. The engine lasted 200 miles. Didn't even get a chance to switch out the break in oil. This is an extreme case, but I'm not going to take the chance. My old man bought a 2001 S430 back in the day from the dealer. In 2008 passed it on to my little brother. Car has +200k miles. Original everything. Followed break in. The race engines that someone mentioned earlier have up graded and forged internals that can take the heat. On a stock engine i wouldn't recommend anyone take the chance... Even if this is a super car ; ) after all, those German folks aren't that dumb. Lol

Last edited by chudak18; 08-12-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I've got to hurry and get the 1200 miles in.... I've got some Laguna Seca track days coming up!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

I followed the break-in procedures on my "first" BMW. I still have it! It's pushing 170K miles and it didn't require any major surgery.

For those taking ED - how much more is it to pay someone to do the 1200 mile breakin for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I see no upside to not doing what BMW engineers suggest.
I agree no upside, but the downside is missing out on for a lot of us could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to drive a new toy like we stole it in its birth place.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
My shop just replaced an engine in an sti for a customer. My tech advises every one to adhere to breakin recommendations. This particular customer didn't. Ended up doing the rebuild a second time. The engine lasted 200 miles. Didn't even get a chance to switch out the break in oil. This is an extreme case, but I'm not going to take the chance.
If the owner didn't overrev it that sounds to me like a bum rebuild.......
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
If the owner didn't overrev it that sounds to me like a bum rebuild.......
The clutch that was installed new came out with multiple rashes or wear marks. The guy either missed the shift or just plain old tore it up. The tech has a track record with sti engine rebuilds.
      08-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The main purpose of Break-In is to ensure longetivity of the components of the high performance vehicle. The parts that usually are broken in are the:

-Engine
-Transmission
-Differential

They will usually change the oil and the fluid of these components during the Break-In Service. Some manufacturers use a special kind of oil or fluid for Break-In also. The reason for this is because when an engine, tranmission, or differential is brand new, all of the moving parts haven't gotten a chance to fit and form to each other over time. So there can be a little bit of rubbing and chaffing that goes on, producing tiny metal particles that would be present in the oil and fluids. This is why they change them during the Break-In Servicing.

Additionally, now that cars are becoming more computerized, the software for the engine and other components may be programmed to keep the car from exceeding certain limits, such as rpms and/or speed.

I once had an E60 M5 that had an S85 engine shit itself on me. When I got my new engine in, my tech just told me what I just said in the previous paragraph. I ended up breaking in that engine by taking the car over 200mph during the RE-Break-In period for the new engine. After the Break-In Service the engine performed beautifully.

As for the F10 M5 in particular, I don't know for fact, but based on those descriptions of those people in Europe and the rest of the world who have had the Break-In Service complete, I'm pretty sure that the BMW Dealership changes the engines ECU software whereby full horsepower and torque are now available. Don't quote me on that, but that's the impression I've gotten after reading so many experiences.

As a side note, I plan on covering the required 1,200 miles during my Euro Delivery experience and I have already arranged for a BMW dealership in Germany to complete my Break-In Service, so that I may take my F10 M5 to the Nurburgring fully broken in. You only live once.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

Must be inherited money, huh?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
I've got to hurry and get the 1200 miles in.... I've got some Laguna Seca track days coming up!
When, exactly? I might join you. I like to visit all the Bay Area tracks with paper plates on (I even did a day at Laguna in my Volt)-- it's a tradition. With a 9/7 drop-off, I hope to have her back in the U.S. before the peak rainy season-- Maybe end of Oct with some luck.

As for the ED break-in, I plan to modulate speed and RPM all the way to the 'Ring (~350 mile), then I will consider her broken in.

Realistically, in a new car on a strange and dangerous track, I'll be doing 7/10ths max and will try to short shift to avoid redline RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
wer1337
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M5

What are the exact do's and don'ts for the break in period? And where can I find them in the Owners Manual?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wer1337 View Post
What are the exact do's and don'ts for the break in period? And where can I find them in the Owners Manual?
see the index at the back: Breaking In
from the 2013 M5 owners manual:

Breaking-in period
General information
Moving parts need to be broken in to adjust to
each other.
The following instructions will help achieve a
long vehicle life and good economy.
During the break-in, do not use the Launch Con‐
trol, refer to page
Engine and differential
Always obey the official speed limit.
Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do
not exceed 5,500 rpm and 106 mph/170 km/h.
Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the
transmission's kickdown mode for the initial
miles.
At 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Have drive-in checkup maintenance performed.
From 1,200 miles/2,000 km to
3,100 miles/5,000 km
The engine and road speed can gradually be in‐
creased to a constant speed of
137 mph/220 km/h.
Use the maximum speed of 155 mph/250 km/h
only briefly, e.g. when passing.
Tires
Due to technical factors associated with their
manufacture, tires do not achieve their full trac‐
tion potential until after an initial breaking-in pe‐
riod.
Drive conservatively for the first
200 miles/300 km.
Brake system
Brakes require an initial break-in period of ap‐
prox. 300 miles/500 km to achieve optimized
contact and wear patterns between brake pads
and discs. Drive moderately during this break-in
period.
Clutch
The function of the clutch reaches its optimal
level only after a distance driven of approx.
300 miles/500 km. During this break-in period,
engage the clutch gently.
Following part replacement
The same breaking in procedures should be ob‐
served if any of the components mentioned
above have to be renewed in the course of the
vehicle's operating life.
Appreciate 0