M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #89
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Thanks dave for blowing my eardrums out LOL.

This changes EVERYTHING.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #90
BIG~BLUE~BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR,F10 M5

So how do we buy???
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #91
Nick45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6, 2016 x5m,2019 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG~BLUE~BMW
So how do we buy???
Call RPI and speak to eloy..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #92
BIG~BLUE~BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR,F10 M5

Okok thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #93
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dudes,

I'll give it you straight. If you haven't started the car in like 12 hours the Cold Start is CRAZY LOUD! It literally shakes my house. However, it only lasts for like a minute or so and gets tolerable. So far I haven't had any neighbors complain like they did on my straight-piped E60 V10. For some reason I think the Cold Start on the E60 M5 was much longer.

As for wives, wimps, and your kids. Wives will probably hate it from the outside. On the inside it's really not loud at all. The sound proofing of the cabin on the F10 is too good, that's why I don't like the stock exhaust, cause you can't hear anything really. For wimps like your neighbors, they might not like it either. For kids, they will probably love it! It sounds like RACE CAR!

I would say that if you want switchablity, then have some shop design you a custom valve system. Me personally I want FULL RACE CAR mode all of the time. When I encounter cops, I just throw the DCT in D Mode and the exhaust isn't really loud at all at low rpms. It's only when you go full throttle and such it roars like a monster.

Like Rob said, this setup aint for the faint of heart. You will definitely get attention, but I love it.

If you don't want this level of roar then I would suggest going with the Eisenmann Race and calling it a day.
Yo Dave that sound is bada** but there is NO WAY that it is quiet in the cabin. :-) I have the E-Race and on day 1 I convinced myself that I couldn't really hear it but after a few days I realized I was fooling myself. The F10, like you said, is WAY more insulated from noise than the E60 (my RPI GTS got on my nerves at times I did not want to roar) but you definitely hear those exhausts (RARE-but there were definitely some times). Your sound is AMAZING but I think people who are concerned about the "luxury" side of things in terms of quiet will HATE it-no?-lol!

You are right about the shorter cold start. The F10 does seem to settle down much quicker. Honestly, my wife does not like the E-Race at all. It is too noisy to her (I think she is jaded from the memories of that V10 with the RPI :-) I am switching mine out to a modified BMW exhaust and downpipes tomorrow. I am not doing this because of noise. I am doing it because the whole setup is perfectly performance matched with my tune. I like the throaty sound of the E-Race but for a time I did have the OEM mufflers with the valves wired open and it did give a nice sporty sound that I COULD hear in the cabin, just not at idle. The cold start actually sounded quite nice and refined. The new setup should be slightly louder but a big drop from the E-Race.

On that note...I have a NEW set of E-Race (not installed-this is a different set that I ordered and have not yet used. Returning current set to IND). It is the 90mm round with custom matte black powdercoated cans and gloss black powdercoated tips with a Silverstone M logo if anyone might be interested (not jackin your thread here-thought a few guys here are considering upgrades so I'd throw it out there. Hope you don;t mind.)

BTW-your car looks FREAKING AWESOME. I absolutely LOVE the blacked out touches you have done with the IND stuff (I assume itis IND). It is one of the best looking F10 M5s I have seen. It looks sleek and mean. I have the pics from your latest pic thread up on my other monitor and am about to show it to my wife. I think I want to move and I am going to show her just how pretty my M5 might look with some of those San Diego backdrops.

Mike

Last edited by ColdList; 02-28-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #94
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Yo Dave that sound is bada** but there is NO WAY that it is quiet in the cabin. :-) I have the E-Race and on day 1 I convinced myself that I couldn't really hear it but after a few days I realized I was fooling myself. The F10, like you said, is WAY more insulated from noise than the E60 (my RPI GTS got on my nerves at times I did not want to roar) but you definitely hear those exhausts (RARE-but there were definitely some times). Your sound is AMAZING but I think people who are concerned about the "luxury" side of things in terms of quiet will HATE it-no?-lol!

You are right about the shorter cold start. The F10 does seem to settle down much quicker. Honestly, my wife does not like the E-Race at all. It is too noisy to her (I thin she is jaded from the memories of that V10 with the RPI :-) I am switching mine out to a modified BMW exhaust and downpipes tomorrow. I am not doing this because of noise. I am doing it because the whole setup is perfectly performance matched with my tune. I like the throaty sound of the E-Race but for a time I did have the OEM mufflers with the valves wired open and it did give a nice sporty sound that I COULD hear in the cabin, just not at idle. The cold start actually sounded quite nice and refined. The new setup should be slightly louder but a big drop from the E-Race.

On that note...I have a NEW set of E-Race (not installed-this is a different set that I ordered and have not yet used. Returning current set to IND). It is the 90mm round with custom matte black powdercoated cans and gloss black powdercoated tips with a Silverstone M logo if anyone might be interested (not jackin your thread here-thought a few guys here are considering upgrades so I'd throw it out there. Hope you don;t mind.)

BTW-your car looks FREAKING AWESOME. I absolutely LOVE the blacked out touches you have done with the IND stuff (I assume itis IND). It is one of the best looking F10 M5s I have seen. It looks sleek and mean. I have the pics from your latest pic thread up on my other monitor and am about to show it to my wife. I think I want to move and I am going to show her just how pretty my M5 might look with some of those San Diego backdrops.

Mike
Coldlist, I'm curious to know what is being modded on the oem exhaust I was actually thinking about doing the same thing myself. You mentioned deleting the valves and going with bigger pipes. Are you guys also going to replace the packing and close the perforated tubes?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #95
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayblack
Quote:

You are right about the shorter cold start. The F10 does seem to settle down much quicker. Honestly, my wife does not like the E-Race at all. It is too noisy to her (I thin she is jaded from the memories of that V10 with the RPI :-) I am switching mine out to a modified BMW exhaust and downpipes tomorrow. I am not doing this because of noise. I am doing it because the whole setup is perfectly performance matched with my tune. I like the throaty sound of the E-Race but for a time I did have the OEM mufflers with the valves wired open and it did give a nice sporty sound that I COULD hear in the cabin, just not at idle. The cold start actually sounded quite nice and refined. The new setup should be slightly louder but a big drop from the E-Race.

Mike
Coldlist, I'm curious to know what is being modded on the oem exhaust I was actually thinking about doing the same thing myself. You mentioned deleting the valves and going with bigger pipes. Are you guys also going to replace the packing and close the perforated tubes?
I am opening a can of worms here (lol, for everyone who has been involved in the previous discussion :-) so I am going to be very accurate with my wording :-)

My exhaust is an OEM exhaust that is being modified. It basically takes the 45mm internal pipe and replaces with a 65mm. I do also believe that it becomes more or a straight through exhaust. I will find out exactly what is being done to it internally and let you know. I don't think it is fully gutted because it will not produce huge sound increases over the OEM. Some but not too much. I will get you a definitive answer and post here or PM you. Sorry for not knowing. I just went ahead and bought it with the downpipes because it sort of goes with them.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 02-28-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #96
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Quote:
I am opening a can of worms here (lol, for everyone who has been involved in the previous discussion :-) so I a, going to be very accurate with my wording :-)

My exhaust is an OEM exhaust that is being modified. It basically takes the 45mm internal pipe and replaces with a 65mm. I do also believe that it becomes more or a straight through exhaust. I will find out exactly what is being done to it internally and let you know. I don't think it is fully gutted because it will not produce huge sound increases over the OEM. Some but not too much.
Looking forward to the results!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #97
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:

You are right about the shorter cold start. The F10 does seem to settle down much quicker. Honestly, my wife does not like the E-Race at all. It is too noisy to her (I think she is jaded from the memories of that V10 with the RPI :-) I am switching mine out to a modified BMW exhaust and downpipes tomorrow. I am not doing this because of noise. I am doing it because the whole setup is perfectly performance matched with my tune. I like the throaty sound of the E-Race but for a time I did have the OEM mufflers with the valves wired open and it did give a nice sporty sound that I COULD hear in the cabin, just not at idle. The cold start actually sounded quite nice and refined. The new setup should be slightly louder but a big drop from the E-Race.

Mike
Actually having had the GTM on my car for a couple of weeks now, I can definitely say that compared to even the RPi GT exhaust on the E60 M5 that the GTM on the F10 M5 is TOO quiet for me! Yes you all heard that right! Lol! The drone is a little louder with the GTM but it's not crazy like the E60 was. I personally love the drone, it gives the car more personality and race car feeling. My dad visited me last weekend and I had him in my passenger seat over 3 days of driving around SoCal. He is getting on in age, almost 55 years old now, and said that the exhaust was too loud for him on the outside, but not that bad on the inside, especially if I stayed out of the drone range. When you are out of the drone range it's actually quite quiet. With the Bang & Olufsen turned up to dancing in your car volume, you can't hear the GTM at all.

Oh yeah and the only IND stuff I have on my car is the blacked out front reflectors in the bumper. I got the matte black grills from other sources. I plasti-dipped my door handle chrome (which has worked out ok so far, I didn't put enough coats on my first attempt, only 2, and it started peeling off after my car wash guys kept rubbing rags over it. So I applied 4 coats on one handle, and it appears to be holding up much better.) But yeah thanks for the compliments. A part of me still wishes that I had gotten the MCB but everybody keeps telling me how good my car looks. Oh and yes, if you have the opportunity to live in San Diego, it's awesome! It's supposed to be like 75 degrees here this weekend. It's still early March! Plus I love the fact that there are no bugs here in SoCal to committ suicide on your front bumper. If you ever are in town, let me know. The SoCal crew would love to have you over.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #98
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Also guys I'm getting my M5 dyno'd tomorrow. I'll finally see how much this puppy is making. All I have are the Charcoal Filter Deletes and the RPi GTM exhaust. I'm expecting over 600hp to the crank. We'll see!

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #99
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actually having had the GTM on my car for a couple of weeks now, I can definitely say that compared to even the RPi GT exhaust on the E60 M5 that the GTM on the F10 M5 is TOO quiet for me! Yes you all heard that right! Lol! The drone is a little louder with the GTM but it's not crazy like the E60 was. I personally love the drone, it gives the car more personality and race car feeling. My dad visited me last weekend and I had him in my passenger seat over 3 days of driving around SoCal. He is getting on in age, almost 55 years old now, and said that the exhaust was too loud for him on the outside, but not that bad on the inside, especially if I stayed out of the drone range. When you are out of the drone range it's actually quite quiet. With the Bang & Olufsen turned up to dancing in your car volume, you can't hear the GTM at all.

Oh yeah and the only IND stuff I have on my car is the blacked out front reflectors in the bumper. I got the matte black grills from other sources. I plasti-dipped my door handle chrome (which has worked out ok so far, I didn't put enough coats on my first attempt, only 2, and it started peeling off after my car wash guys kept rubbing rags over it. So I applied 4 coats on one handle, and it appears to be holding up much better.) But yeah thanks for the compliments. A part of me still wishes that I had gotten the MCB but everybody keeps telling me how good my car looks. Oh and yes, if you have the opportunity to live in San Diego, it's awesome! It's supposed to be like 75 degrees here this weekend. It's still early March! Plus I love the fact that there are no bugs here in SoCal to committ suicide on your front bumper. If you ever are in town, let me know. The SoCal crew would love to have you over.
Yep. Your pics got me very interested! It was already on my mind. We are going to make some trips to different parts of the country and SoCal will be one of them. I am very jealous of those awesome meets you guys have out there! Would LOVE that!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #100
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; Z8(03)-Blk

Garage List
2003 BMW Z8  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
My dad visited me last weekend and I had him in my passenger seat over 3 days of driving around SoCal. He is getting on in age, almost 55 years old now.........
Getting on in age! Yikes!
2004 Ferrari 360CS, 07 Lotus Exige S
Former M cars: Euro E30 M3, 01 E39 M5, 08 E60 M5, F10 M5, 18 M2Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #101
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigumz View Post
Getting on in age! Yikes!
lol! Yeah.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #102
Aboody99
Private
Qatar
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Who do i contact to get this
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #103
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboody99 View Post
Who do i contact to get this
http://www.raceprecision.com

Ask for Eloy
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #104
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Guys, here's an update on my RPi GTM (Straightpiped) ownership experience so far. I've had the setup on now for almost a month and am still loving it although my thoughts have change a bit on it now.

Somewhere on this Forum Rob///M5 made a really good list of a scale of 1-10 of loudness of exhausts, but I can't find it. I was going to post it again here but I'll just make up my own based on my experience instead. If anyone finds it, please post it. Thanks.

Anyways, after playing with my buddy's Stage 2 E60 M5 a few weekends ago and also hearing my other buddies Straightpiped Lambo Superleggera, here's how I rank the exhausts that are out today:

-Again ranging from 1 (mouse peeping in the night) to 10 (jet aircraft at full afterburner).

1. F10 M5 Stock Exhaust (Although the crack from the stock exhaust is louder than most other aftermarket exhausts, I think it may be because the stock mufflers are actually smaller than a lot aftermarket ones)
2. F10 M5 Eisenmann Sport (Mufflers Only) / RPi GTS Exhaust / Akropovic Exhaust
3. F10 M5 RPi GT Exhaust
4. F10 M5 Eisenmann Race Exhaust (Mufflers Only)
5. F10 M5 Supersprint Exhaust (Mufflers Only)
6. F10 M5 Meisterschaft GT Exhaust
7. F10 M5 RPi GTM Exhaust (The Cracks from the exhaust will actually hurt your eardrums though) / E60 M5 RPi GTS Exhaust
8. E60 M5 RPi GT Exhaust / E60 M5 Eisenmann Race Exhaust / E92 M3 RPi GTM Exhaust.
9. E60 M5 RPi Stage 2 with Full GT Headers and GT Exhaust / Almost any E60 with Headers and Exhaust / Straightpiped Merc C63 / Straightpiped Aston DBS
10. Straightpiped Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera / Straightpiped Porsche Carrera GT / Straightpiped Lambo Aventador

The only one I haven't heard in real life is the F10 M5 Hartge Exhaust System, it would be interesting to hear that one as they also make a Muffler Deleted System as well.

Once again this is based off of my personal experience. I live for sound and consider myself an aficianado of exhaust quality and decibel level. So as you can see according to my updated list the F10 M5 RPi GTM with the muffler deletes falls out around a level 7. My Goal is to get it up to a level 9 with the inclusion of some downpipes, I just hope that it can be done. Getting an F10 M5 to a level 10 will be impossible due to the turbos.

One of the best indicators that I use for how epic an exhaust sounds is by driving around town and watching how people react on the street. If the people on the street stop what they are doing and turn their head to look at your car, then you've got a beast. If not keep working at it. Lol!

With the F10 M5 RPi GTM, I get looks about 50% of the time from people hearing the loud exhaust. It's kind of hit or miss. With my old Stage 2 E60 M5, I was getting looks 100% of the time.

I would like to reiterate again, that the straightpipes design on the F10 M5 is rather tame inside the cabin. It's so tame in fact that I hate it! LOL! I can barely hear the exhaust with all of the windows up. I have resigned to driving around all the time now with at least my sunroof open. With all of the windows down it sounds better, but when you go in tunnels, underneath highway overpasses or are surrounded by tall buildings on each side of the street, you can really hear the GTM in all of its glory. The soundproofing on the F10 M5 is too damn good! On the plus side, because of the soundproofing the Bang & Olufsen still sounds fantastic as always, there's no competition between the GTM and the B&O.

I might just make a new thread on this.

Cheers

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-11-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #105
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Oh also, I haven't gotten a chance to make any new videos cause Grad school has been killing me lately. I just got done with my Comp Exam so I'll find out if I passed in about 4 weeks, but until then I just have regular grad school work and of course regular working to do and will have a lot more free time to play with the M5. More videos to come!

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-11-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #106
Aboody99
Private
Qatar
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I just ordered one can't wait!!
Appreciate 0