02-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
E6 RDM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW, Peugeot, Audi

Going from a 520d to an M5

Hi All

I'm soon going to be trading my BMW 520d for an F10 M5. Would anyone care to explain the difference I will notice in power Also would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has gone from a similar power car (188bhp) to the mighty M5, and how they got used to the power.

Thank you
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
RichDM5
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6 RDM View Post
Hi All

I'm soon going to be trading my BMW 520d for an F10 M5. Would anyone care to explain the difference I will notice in power Also would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has gone from a similar power car (188bhp) to the mighty M5, and how they got used to the power.

Thank you
Rob
Difference in power will be significant across the board especially when moving from a diesel.
If you have never driven a V8 then you are about to spoil yourself. There is power regardless of revs and speed; you will notice a HUGE difference.

My tip would be get used to the M settings on the car. Drive around with everything set to low which will feel a little like your 520d.
When you set everything to max (M2 on mine) then its a different car again.

Find a large car park at night with nothing to hit and floor it when all is set to max so you can understand the power available in that setting.
2010 Audi S5
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
E6 RDM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDM5 View Post
Difference in power will be significant across the board especially when moving from a diesel.
If you have never driven a V8 then you are about to spoil yourself. There is power regardless of revs and speed; you will notice a HUGE difference.

My tip would be get used to the M settings on the car. Drive around with everything set to low which will feel a little like your 520d.
When you set everything to max (M2 on mine) then its a different car again.

Find a large car park at night with nothing to hit and floor it when all is set to max so you can understand the power available in that setting.
Thank you. When the M5 goes from Eco to Sport Plus is there is noticeable difference in the sound too? Just curious really...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Qwertym5
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F13 M6GC CP

I had a few cars in between, but I’ve done this. I’ve been lucky to have had several very good and quick cars, but prior to my F10 M5 my 520d (chipped) was my all time favourite car. But the M5 is in a completely different league of favourite. Don’t worry about the power difference, it’s time that can be the problem because the M5 is simply a lot quicker and able than the average driver! Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Jixes
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

The power difference will frighten you, but in a good way. You will become good freinds with you local petrol station when you find out your M5 has a drinking problem.

Get use to the power using the default settings, then when dry/warm start to experiment with the suspension, steering, traction control and gear change settings etc. and program in your M1 and M2 buttons.

Enjoy your M5, its a dangerous but fun weapon!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
E6 RDM
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixes View Post
The power difference will frighten you, but in a good way. You will become good freinds with you local petrol station when you find out your M5 has a drinking problem.

Get use to the power using the default settings, then when dry/warm start to experiment with the suspension, steering, traction control and gear change settings etc. and program in your M1 and M2 buttons.

Enjoy your M5, its a dangerous but fun weapon!
Thank you - that made me smile
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
3sgte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335D

And then the modding bug will come. Decats, filters, exhaust and a remap, will have you north of 700 horses. Acceleration will be brutal.

But the best thing? You can still have 2 baby seats in the back, a pram in the boot and a full Tesco shop and still poodle around town
Appreciate 0