BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Finally took delivery of my F10 M5 (Brilliant White / Cohiba)

A little late as I was occupied with driving the past week
I took delivery (with 3 other fellow M5 owners) on 10/1 of my F10 M5.
It is Brilliant White with Full/Extended Cohiba Brown Interior (Individual order to make
up for the silliness of BMW not offering full / extended Individual leather).
Also added a few items during ED such as color matched side and front grills,
powder coated exhaust tips and the Carbon Fiber Interior trim from the Performance Program (was just released in Germany) .

This delivery was quite unique as I had two friends come along who are both working for the BMW dealer I buy my cars from (one is the General Manager and the other one the shop foreman) , so I was all set for roadside assistance/service if needed.

After we took delivery we headed to the ///M Studio for a quick tour and chat with one of the engineers (as always German engineers will not talk about the future and even our suggestion to consider a dual caliper setup for the rear (like Ferrari) instead of the flimsy 550 OEM rear calipers got no reaction ).
But it was very nice of them to host us and the lady who was our tour guide did a great job and went out of her way to make everyone feel at home. I hope I/we can return the favor one day when she's coming to the US.

After the ///M Studio visit we headed to the BMW plant in Dingolfing where the 5/6/7 series and Rolls Royce chasis are build. As it was a private tour the group was small (8 folks, us and 5 other folks from this board joined us for the studio and plant tours) and we got to see quite a bit of the production line and all of its stages. Also got to see a few interesting sights such as the new "3 GT" and a frozen red M6 coupe .

The next day we headed off to our tour through the alps via Tatzelwurm, Thierbach, Zell am See, Grossglockner, Lake Garda, Stelvio, Umbria, Reschenpass, Silvretta Pass, Deutsche Alpenstrasse and a few other smaller passes. Last stop was Garmisch which allowed us to do a quick high speed run back to minute (covered 80km in >15 minutes) .
A short video can be found here http://contour.com/stories/first-tim...uring-break-in

Pretty much everything has been said about the car itself and there's really not much
to add. A few things I think are worth mentioning are the way the car puts the power down and its never stopping acceleration. If you are going for top speed it will take you right up to the limiter without any hesitation (or if you have no limiter it will take you right up to ~304 km/h) , the weekend before I had an unlimited F10 M5 with winter tires and you can easily get wheel spin at 240 when shifting from 5th into 6th.

The new nav system is so much better then the "old" one, much faster , better graphics and many minor enhancements/features added (still a few items I'd like to see have not yet made it and a few silly things such as no pairing of Bluetooth devices while driving can be annoying)

The build quality is definitely the best so far of any M car and it was quite interesting to see how many heads the car will turn .

Once it's state side I have a few things in mind I plan to do and will keep folks informed...

Below are a few pictures of the car itself and I'll work on a more complete report/pictures etc over the coming days/weeks ....

Oh and one thing you may notice , Brilliant White is one of the most difficult colors to take pictures of . It has a slightly different look in pretty much every light , but it is quite
stunning in real life and goes well with the Cohiba Brown interior

Higher res pictures can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmh-pic...7631711463454/

15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

What trim and exhaust is that. I REALLY like the interior trim!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
ArtE36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5

That trim looks great. I can't believe they released it now. Was it installed in the factory or replaced after you took delivery? Car looks awesome. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
That's the M Performance trim. It is an aftermarket option. It looks like he had either Piano Black or Dark Wood from the factory, and then swapped it for the carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

I like the exhaust tips, not sure about it saying M performance on the trim piece. I hope you don't have any issues with those parts during customs inspection.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
That's the M Performance trim. It is an aftermarket option. It looks like he had either Piano Black or Dark Wood from the factory, and then swapped it for the carbon fiber.
Yes the initial order was with the Piano black trim.
Now it's the CF trim from the ///M Performance line. Just became available in GY (soon in the US too) . Had it added to the order/car so it will pass inspection (not that they'd really care what trim level one has)

Retail for the trim will be appr 2800$ once it's released from national freeze , the
part # is 51952250709
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
The exhaust and tips are OEM. Just had a set powder coated gloss black as the tips just slide off/on (with a little force to get them back on) .
You don't see the ///M logos at all as long as the tips/exhaust is not extended once the exhaust is hot. Then you'll see the tips about two fingers wide extending .
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Yes the initial order was with the Piano black trim.
Now it's the CF trim from the ///M Performance line. Just became available in GY (soon in the US too) . Had it added to the order/car so it will pass inspection (not that they'd really care what trim level one has)

Retail for the trim will be appr 2800$ once it's released from national freeze , the
part # is 51952250709
Is it real carbon fiber or carbon fiber effect?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Is it real carbon fiber or carbon fiber effect?
Real (hand made) CF . Also covered by factory warranty etc, so if it turns yellow or discolors you'll get replacements (happened twice on my previous E90s)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Awesome pictures. Love the high speed video. Speed differential is astonishing when passing.

Also love the leather color.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
Awesome pictures. Love the high speed video. Speed differential is astonishing when passing.

Also love the leather color.
Thanks !
I am very happy with the color combination and it does work very well.
On the flip side both colors (Brilliant White on the outside and Cohiba on the inside) are probably some of the hardest colors to take accurate pictures of. One of the few options you really needs to see in real life to appreciate them.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Purcell
Private
Rep
Drives: .

I must commend you on your exquisite taste with your color combo. I haven't seen bw in person but have seen mineral white. How does bw compare to mw?

Also, did you install the color matched bits during your ED or once you were stateside?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
I must commend you on your exquisite taste with your color combo. I haven't seen bw in person but have seen mineral white. How does bw compare to mw?

Also, did you install the color matched bits during your ED or once you were stateside?
Thx !

Brilliant white has a little more "sparkle" to it , very similar to the Perl effect white on
the Audis. It is a tough color to take pictures of and it looks different in every light.
I can also see how it might drive folks nuts as some parts of the car will sometimes
looks as if the paint doesn't match and a few minutes later it does ...

I am lucky enough to know a few folks at BMW and was able to get the grills
paint matched, glossy black exhaust tips (like the F10 M5 Sport models in the
UK) and also swap out the trim for the ///M Performance trim. Also wanted to
the ///M Performance Steering Wheel but it's not yet available .

- Jan
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Congrats! Looks great! I picked up the CF trim when I was in the UK recently. I think it adds a very nice touch. I'm debating between installing it, swapping my piano black for the aluminum trace with another member, or keeping what I have.

The wheel should be available next time I go back. I can't wait!

Enjoy your beautiful ride! That exhaust is stunning.
      10-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

congrats and thanks for sharing =)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Congrats! Looks great! I picked up the CF trim when I was in the UK recently. I think it adds a very nice touch. I'm debating between installing it, swapping my piano black for the aluminum trace with another member, or keeping what I have.

The wheel should be available next time I go back. I can't wait!

Enjoy your beautiful ride! That exhaust is stunning.
Did you install the trim already ?
If you did , do you have DCT or manual transmission ?
It seems at this time there's not a middle console CF trim for the DCT equipped cars (the ashtray/drink holder covers are CF but the large black is not yet available).
No one in Dingolfing could locate one and they literally sent every kit they had
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you install the trim already ?
If you did , do you have DCT or manual transmission ?
It seems at this time there's not a middle console CF trim for the DCT equipped cars (the ashtray/drink holder covers are CF but the large black is not yet available).
No one in Dingolfing could locate one and they literally sent every kit they had
I have not installed the trim. What I do have has the middle console trim for the normal F10 5-Series. I've been told through various sources that a replacement for the middle console for M cars is not planned.

If I do end up installing, I'd prefer it this way. I think our consoles will hold up to daily wear and tear better than the aluminum or wood options in the non-M F10.

I also think I've managed to get the part number for the stock dark chrome exhaust tips that will come on the M5/M6 M Performance Editions that are exclusive to the UK. The number does not currently show up as valid in any parts system (Europe or otherwise) but apparently came off the tip itself. (I'm not the only one interested, apparently.)
      10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

hot! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I have not installed the trim. What I do have has the middle console trim for the normal F10 5-Series. I've been told through various sources that a replacement for the middle console for M cars is not planned.

If I do end up installing, I'd prefer it this way. I think our consoles will hold up to daily wear and tear better than the aluminum or wood options in the non-M F10.

I also think I've managed to get the part number for the stock dark chrome exhaust tips that will come on the M5/M6 M Performance Editions that are exclusive to the UK. The number does not currently show up as valid in any parts system (Europe or otherwise) but apparently came off the tip itself. (I'm not the only one interested, apparently.)

That's what I thought
I spent a week with BMW in Germany on this and they finally admitted there's no plan for a middle console piece to fit the CF kit.
You are correct the middle console will probably wear better not being CF but I somehow now have my mind set on a new mini project and either build a fitting CF piece or look into covering the entire console in matching black leather
As for the exhaust tips I tried the avenue of the UK Performance Edition tips but they can't be sourced at this time. Hence I went with my own "creation"
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought
I spent a week with BMW in Germany on this and they finally admitted there's no plan for a middle console piece to fit the CF kit.
You are correct the middle console will probably wear better not being CF but I somehow now have my mind set on a new mini project and either build a fitting CF piece or look into covering the entire console in matching black leather
As for the exhaust tips I tried the avenue of the UK Performance Edition tips but they can't be sourced at this time. Hence I went with my own "creation"
Custom projects are always fun. If you go down that road, good luck. I'm sure it will look great.

I can't decide what I want to do exhaust-wise. I agree with Stealth.Pilot's comments that the tips don't fit the diffuser. I've removed nearly all chrome from the car, so maybe I'll powder coat them like you did. Or see if this part number ever translates into something meaningful.
      10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Striking combination. All the best with your new beast.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Great taste, Jan! Thoroughly enjoyed the writeup and pics.

I have to openly admit, I've thought long and hard how to spec an M5, and this is among my top-2 favorites! My only hesitation has been not knowing how much the upcharge is for getting the Full Cohiba leather. I have been unable to get an answer from my SA for the moment, so would greatly appreciate if you can share. I have also thought about doing deviated stitching, and that too remains an unknown until I formally place an order and dealer then submits a special request to BMW Germany.

Great choice on the CF trim. While I like the Piano trim, I reckon I'll put that amount towards the CF M Performance trim.

Speaking of which, if you do decide to go aftermarket on the CF, feel free to look up Matt at oCarbon. I have seen multiple of his creations, they are a work of art and I am sure he will square you well. When the appropriate time comes, no doubt I will look his way (assuming BMW never releases the middle console trim piece)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0