M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #67
GTHAUS
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by star21 View Post
Torque curve looks good and the HP seems to plateau nicely for a bit from around 3,300 RPM but is there a reason why there seems to be such a dramatic drop off in HP from around 4,600RPM and onward? Is the engine running into any issues or is this how the TYR tune was set for?
As you probably figure this out already,
there can be many and various causes for this happening,
such as operation of vehicle, condition of vehicle, dynamics of dyno roller inertia,
or even Testing environmental settings, etc..

But what is important, as you notice the graph below;
The vehicle is currently getting steady, smooth power outputs
and most of all, it is very consistent (power output at the wheels):
(AVG 575-585 HP / 580-590 TQ) vs. Stock (AVG 525-530 HP / 520-525 TQ)

F10 M5: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT + TYR TECH (STAGE 1) TUNE RESULTS
Same set up - Dyno Run (1 and 2)

BMW F10 M5 with turbo-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode & TYR TECH Stage 1 tune. Run 1 (blue). Run 2 (red)

GTHAUS

Last edited by GTHAUS; 12-06-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #68
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE

In the pursuit of gaining more 'bolt-on' HP I'm looking for a intake ...

Besides GruppeM does anyone know who else offers a intake for our F10 M5's?
Anyone know what kind of HP increase the GruppeM intake produces?

Last edited by BLACK MARKT; 12-07-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #69
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by star21 View Post
I wonder if the conservative performance and sound might have been influenced by the EC-Type Compliance that Akrapovic got certified for? Anyone from European countries know a thing or two about this? I'm assuming it's relating to noise and/or emissions? Not every customer is looking for a drastic increase in exhaust noise or only peak power.
The Akrapovic EC-type approval document refers to the EC-directive covering noise.

This can be found via the EC-type approval number:

e24*70/157*2007/34*1615*00

e24:
"e" refers to an approval made under EC legislation as opposed to a "E" which would refer to a UN ECE legislation
24:
24 refers to the european country issuing the EC-type approval, in this case Ireland (1 is Germany)
70/157:
The number of the EC directive the type approval is issued after. These directives are technical legislation similar to FMVSS legislation. 70/157 is the directive regulating noise levels from automobiles. 70 relating to 1970 and 157 being the number in the line of directives issued that year.
2007/34:
Refers to which amendment/update of the basic directive this approval is done according to. This then being an update from 2007 and the 34th amendment (total number, not directive specific) being issued that year.
1615:
Approval number.
00:
Extension number. Say Akrapovic makes a new muffler, Y-pipe or similar, a new test is done and that kit would normally then get extension number 01.
So, the Akrapovic exhaust complies with EC-legislation regarding noise. For passenger vehicles with engines over 150kW this means it can't exceed 80dbA during acceleration (measured under specific provisions).

So, not a straight through exhaust at all. The dyno numbers are probably even more impressive (+10hp) since the Akrapovic has been manufactured to comply with stringent noise regulation.

EC legislation for motor vehicles can be found here: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/secto...s/index_en.htm

Last edited by Boss330; 12-07-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #70
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the 411 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The Akrapovic EC-type approval document refers to the EC-directive covering noise.

This can be found via the EC-type approval number:

e24*70/157*2007/34*1615*00

e24:
"e" refers to an approval made under EC legislation as opposed to a "E" which would refer to a UN ECE legislation
24:
24 refers to the european country issuing the EC-type approval, in this case Ireland (1 is Germany)
70/157:
The number of the EC directive the type approval is issued after. These directives are technical legislation similar to FMVSS legislation. 70/157 is the directive regulating noise levels from automobiles. 70 relating to 1970 and 157 being the number in the line of directives issued that year.
2007/34:
Refers to which amendment/update of the basic directive this approval is done according to. This then being an update from 2007 and the 34th amendment (total number, not directive specific) being issued that year.
1615:
Approval number.
00:
Extension number. Say Akrapovic makes a new muffler, Y-pipe or similar, a new test is done and that kit would normally then get extension number 01.
So, the Akrapovic exhaust complies with EC-legislation regarding noise. For passenger vehicles with engines over 150kW this means it can't exceed 80dbA during acceleration (measured under specific provisions).

So, not a straight through exhaust at all. The dyno numbers are probably even more impressive (+10hp) since the Akrapovic has been manufactured to comply with stringent noise regulation.

EC legislation for motor vehicles can be found here: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/secto...s/index_en.htm

Last edited by BLACK MARKT; 12-07-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #71
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any update on the dyno comparison testing?
Interested to see what kind of HP the various brands of bolt-on exhaust systems produce without a ECU tune ...

I continue to give RPiM5 alot of credit for his statement ...

RPI
RPiM5 is down to dyno his F10 M5 w/ the RPI exhaust system ...

EISENMANN
Nate@IND is the IND's M5 still at EAS?
If so can the IND M5 be the Eisenmann dyno test car?

MEISTERSCHAFT
I'm willing to donate my M5 for this dyno competition ...
My F10 M5 has the MEISTERSCHAFT GTC exhaust w/ valves + LXR pipe w/o any ECU tune ...

AKRAPOVIC
Who has a F10 M5 w/ the Akrapovic exhaust who would be willing to participate?

This way all the brands that Nate@IND mentioned can be dyno'd here in sunny SoCal instead of back East ....

Depending on the results I might be the first to switch out my exhaust system, valves or no valves ... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
EAS is in to test the Rpi system. After that we will run the Akra, eisenmann and meister on AMS's dyno using a random customers M5 with no custom tune. This is a great time to post independent dyno runs since the beast just came out and this info will help the community out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Nice! The only day in all of December that I am available for some dyno'ing is Sunday December 16th. Lets see if Rob///M5 is available that day and if EAS is available that day. If not we'll have to wait until January.
Quote:
Like I have posted in response to Black Markt in another thread and have posted many times in this forum, I am not afraid to make my intentions known. I believe in real world results and not the unpredictable world of dyno machines. All that I really care about with my F10 M5 is the gauranteed generation of power and performance. As you will see in this video, I am like 99% done with modding my F10 M5 cosmetically, and all that I have left to do is to do a matte black wrap on my door chrome. Seems like everybody and their grandma went with the gloss grills from IND, I decided to go with Matte Black for Front and Side Grills for better contrast on the Sapphire Black Metallic. Additionally I tinted the side turn signal light to 35%, I might go darker though. Up next will be lowering springs from Eibach, whenever they get finished designing them. I don't believe in 21" wheels, splitters, oversized diffusers, etc. That stuff just slows you down by adding more weight and greater drag in my opinion.

So the video pretty much speaks for itself.

A couple of things of note here are that in the 2nd pull, the camera car M3 is actually at full throttle and you can see that even with his mods, the results.

When I raced this same Superleggera with my former Full RPi Stage 2 E60 M5, making around 600chp, I would lose to him every time.

So my challenge still stands. I will take on anyone who only has an aftermarket exhaust on their F10 M5 of a different aftermarket manufacturer than RPi. It can be Akroslowvic, Eisenslow, Meisterslow, etc, etc (Haha just kidding around guys). Hell, I'll even race some GTR's tuned, or untuned, just to get a sense of how the M5 performs, but only 60-130mph of course. 0-60 I'll still stand no chance against the GTR. Or any car really, to just get a comparison. When RPi comes out with their GT Down Pipes next year, it'll be a different story though.

Last edited by BLACK MARKT; 12-07-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #72
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT View Post
Interested to see what kind of HP the various brands of bolt-on exhaust systems produce without a ECU tune ...

RPI

EISENMANN

MEISTERSCHAFT
My F10 M5 has the MEISTERSCHAFT GTC exhaust w/ valves + LXR pipe w/o any ECU tune ...

AKRAPOVIC

This way all the brands that Nate@IND mentioned can be dyno'd here in sunny SoCal instead of back East ....

Depending on the results I might be the first to switch out my exhaust system, valves or no valves ... lol
The iND M5 is leaving Cali Monday the 10th. Also I think it would be best to use only independent cars for the runs.

Last edited by Nate@IND; 12-07-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #73
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

January works better for me too ...

Quote:
I think we should try next month in January. I'm just too busy this month.
Quote:
The iND M5 is leaving Cali Monday the 10th. Also I think it would be best to use only independent cars for the runs.
Quote:

RPI

EISENMANN

MEISTERSCHAFT

AKRAPOVIC

12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #74
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any update?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RPI

EISENMANN

MEISTERSCHAFT

AKRAPOVIC

12-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #75
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

RPiM5, how did the run on Saturday go?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RPI

EISENMANN

MEISTERSCHAFT

AKRAPOVIC

Quote:
Like I have posted in response to Black Markt in another thread and have posted many times in this forum, I am not afraid to make my intentions known. I believe in real world results and not the unpredictable world of dyno machines. All that I really care about with my F10 M5 is the gauranteed generation of power and performance. As you will see in this video, I am like 99% done with modding my F10 M5 cosmetically, and all that I have left to do is to do a matte black wrap on my door chrome. Seems like everybody and their grandma went with the gloss grills from IND, I decided to go with Matte Black for Front and Side Grills for better contrast on the Sapphire Black Metallic. Additionally I tinted the side turn signal light to 35%, I might go darker though. Up next will be lowering springs from Eibach, whenever they get finished designing them. I don't believe in 21" wheels, splitters, oversized diffusers, etc. That stuff just slows you down by adding more weight and greater drag in my opinion.

A couple of things of note here are that in the 2nd pull, the camera car M3 is actually at full throttle and you can see that even with his mods, the results.

When I raced this same Superleggera with my former Full RPi Stage 2 E60 M5, making around 600chp, I would lose to him every time.

So my challenge still stands. I will take on anyone who only has an aftermarket exhaust on their F10 M5 of a different aftermarket manufacturer than RPi. It can be Akroslowvic, Eisenslow, Meisterslow, etc, etc (Haha just kidding around guys). Hell, I'll even race some GTR's tuned, or untuned, just to get a sense of how the M5 performs, but only 60-130mph of course. 0-60 I'll still stand no chance against the GTR. Or any car really, to just get a comparison. When RPi comes out with their GT Down Pipes next year, it'll be a different story though.
      12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #76
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Already en route:

Let's make this happen.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #77
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
RPiM5, how did the run on Saturday go?
The run was sick. But we only got to do the first portion which was just the canyon run. We ended up having 20 E60 M5's, 5 E39 M5's, and 3 F10 M5's. 2 E60 M5's ended up breaking down, and one got a flat. We ran out of daylight to do the second portion which was the highway races (In Mexico of course ) so I never got to run some of my friends. In our group that day we had 2 E60 M5's with a VT2 ESS Kit, 1 Dinan Stroker E60 M5, 3 RPi F10 M5's all with either the GT or GTS exhaust and one of the F10 M5's even had an experimental piggy back tune, but I never found out from which company. We also had a modded F430 Spyder. So yeah, it would have been great to have gotten the 2nd leg in but there WILL be a next time.

Also, January works better for me. Word.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #78
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Love the stance on IND's M5 ... it's the only other M5 I know that's as low as mine!!

RPiM5 and I are both willing to donate our F10 M5's to the cause ....
How is January looking for you guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Already en route:

Let's make this happen.

Quote:
The run was sick. But we only got to do the first portion which was just the canyon run. We ended up having 20 E60 M5's, 5 E39 M5's, and 3 F10 M5's. 2 E60 M5's ended up breaking down, and one got a flat. We ran out of daylight to do the second portion which was the highway races (In Mexico of course ) so I never got to run some of my friends. In our group that day we had 2 E60 M5's with a VT2 ESS Kit, 1 Dinan Stroker E60 M5, 3 RPi F10 M5's all with either the GT or GTS exhaust and one of the F10 M5's even had an experimental piggy back tune, but I never found out from which company. We also had a modded F430 Spyder. So yeah, it would have been great to have gotten the 2nd leg in but there WILL be a next time.

12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #79
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT
Love the stance on IND's M5 ... it's the only other M5 I know that's as low as mine!!

Quote:
Already en route:

Let's make this happen.

Quote:

I'm down for Jan. I'll bring the stock car.
      12-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #80
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

SOUNDS GREAT!!

Everybody good with January?
RPiM5, Rob///M5, and I are good to donate our F10 M5's ...
Looking forward to seeing who's exhaust does what and who's exhaust doesn't .. LETSSSGOOOO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I'm down for Jan. I'll bring the stock car.
Quote:

Quote:
Already en route:

Let's make this happen.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RPI

EISENMANN

MEISTERSCHAFT

AKRAPOVIC

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHAUS View Post
As you probably figure this out already,
there can be many and various causes for this happening,
such as operation of vehicle, condition of vehicle, dynamics of dyno roller inertia,
or even Testing environmental settings, etc..

But what is important, as you notice the graph below;
The vehicle is currently getting steady, smooth power outputs
and most of all, it is very consistent (power output at the wheels):
(AVG 575-585 HP / 580-590 TQ) vs. Stock (AVG 525-530 HP / 520-525 TQ)

F10 M5: MEISTERSCHAFT'S GTC (OPEN MODE) / SUPER GT + TYR TECH (STAGE 1) TUNE RESULTS
Same set up - Dyno Run (1 and 2)

BMW F10 M5 with turbo-back Meisterschaft GTC open mode & TYR TECH Stage 1 tune. Run 1 (blue). Run 2 (red)

GTHAUS
      12-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #81
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

GTHAUS, I see you guys have a DSM in your shop.
      12-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #82
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

COME ON GUYS ... 2012 IS A WRAP!!
LET's GET THIS PARTY STARTED IN JANUARY 2013!!!
      12-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #83
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I'm happy to participate as well.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #84
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

+1, lets get this ish going. I have actually heard of certain exhaust systems losing hp from dyno tests! Not gonna say any names though .. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #85
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Let's get a date on the calendar. I'm good after Jan 7.
      12-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #86
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

If you guys need someone with the Akrapovic exhaust still mine goes on next Thursday. I'm also in southern CA. Just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #87
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

AMAZING TO HEAR THAT EVERYBODY IS STILL DOWN FOR THIS!!

I reached out to tom @ eas already and will contact him after NEW YEARS to see about setting a date in January!!

LETSGOOOOOOO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
I'm happy to participate as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
+1, lets get this ish going. I have actually heard of certain exhaust systems losing hp from dyno tests! Not gonna say any names though .. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Let's get a date on the calendar. I'm good after Jan 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningthingz View Post
If you guys need someone with the Akrapovic exhaust still mine goes on next Thursday. I'm also in southern CA. Just let me know.
      12-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #88
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Planning on doing the GTHAUS ECU re-up right after the exhaust shoot-out ...

2013 IS GOING TO BE GREAAAAAAAT!!!