BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

F10 M5 manual option?

The one item that I'm not 100% certain on is whether the manual shift is a positive or negative: Below are my thoughts.

I currently have a very old 325is that is a manual shift. It's fun to drive and the car is pushing 170K miles. I've heard that manual shift cars will run forever and this 325is has proven that.

I've read that this will be the last time that BMW includes a manual for the m5. I was thinking that could be good or bad.

- Good meaning that it could make the car more "limited." Bad meaning that parts might be hard to get.

- Also one day if I decide to sell the car, do you think that many folks will be turned off by the manual shift?

It appears that many of you folks are not opting for the manual based on your posts.. just wanted to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

This car is not limited or be viewed as limited regardless of transmission down the road, it will be expensive to own and when it's time to sell, you will take a huge loss but there will always be buyers for either transmission. Get what you want and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

You know what they say - if you worry about the resale value or reliability or long-term maintenance costs of this car, then you're buying the wrong car. In that case, just buy an Infiniti G37 or similar and you won't have to worry.

As to DCT vs manual - if you love operating a clutch with your foot, get the manual. Otherwise, get the DCT. You can still shift the DCT manually - you just don't operate the clutch manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

I just drove the MT car today at BMW Toronto. Wow is all I have to say - it sold me on the ride! I will post a review with pics and video later. With MT I felt like the car comes alive and less tech between me and the machine. The only differences coming from 911 Porsche is that the clutch was softer and the shifter needs a larger knob - I have big hands

Totally recommend it and if you are worried about depreciation don't by anything but a 3 or 1 series...
      08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I just drove the MT car today at BMW Toronto. Wow is all I have to say - it sold me on the ride! I will post a review with pics and video later. With MT I felt like the car comes alive and less tech between me and the machine. The only differences coming from 911 Porsche is that the clutch was softer and the shifter needs a larger knob - I have big hands

Totally recommend it and if you are worried about depreciation don't by anything but a 3 or 1 series...
Thanks for the post. Did you try the DCT paddles as a comparison? Ok now I'm leaning back on getting the Manual...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
The only differences coming from 911 Porsche is that the clutch was softer and the shifter needs a larger knob - I have big hands
I'm personally not a big fan of the clutch feel on BMWs - the CDV is probably at least part of the problem. Also, the gearboxes they use tend to have a rubbery yet notchy feel. I love the clutch and gearbox feel on Audis, such as the S4. That's the car I would get if I wanted manual. I haven't tried the manual M5, but I'm assuming it's similar to other manual BMWs that I tried: 335is and M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5huang View Post
Thanks for the post. Did you try the DCT paddles as a comparison? Ok now I'm leaning back on getting the Manual...
I test drove a DCT and a manual and preferred the manual by far. Felt like two different cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

My review, some pictures, and a video is attached. The manual is way better I am totally sold on the ride. Again totally my opinion.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...7#post12498947
      08-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I'm personally not a big fan of the clutch feel on BMWs - the CDV is probably at least part of the problem. Also, the gearboxes they use tend to have a rubbery yet notchy feel. I love the clutch and gearbox feel on Audis, such as the S4. That's the car I would get if I wanted manual. I haven't tried the manual M5, but I'm assuming it's similar to other manual BMWs that I tried: 335is and M3.
Yes I agree but hey its a trade off no car is perfect and I could list a few things I don't like about my 911. Every company has its pros and cons which is what makes it so great that you actually feel the the differences. One thing I was worried about was driving a big 911 - I did not want that. I wanted it to feel completely different and it did!
      08-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Yes - there are always tradeoffs with cars. On manual cars, I place a lot of importance on the feel of the clutch/gearbox and how well the engine works with manual transmission. It had better be all good, because you have use that clutch and shifter an awful lot...

For example, the clutch on the CTS-V is good (better than BMW clutches), but the gearbox sucks. It's the opposite on the G37 - the gearbox is good (better than BMW gearboxes), but the clutch sucks. The S4 has the best of both worlds - good clutch and gearbox. BMWs tend to be neither here nor there - both the clutch and gearbox are acceptable, but not particularly good.

Putting all that aside, it's still not clear to me in what way exactly the manual M5 is better than the DCT version... Is there some hesitation or some other problem with the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Well today I pulled the trigger - SilverStone, FullBlack, Alum, Exec Pack, and the best part - 6MT!!! October build and November Delivery!!!