BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #221
mpresiv5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

anybody heard anything about their lease being pro-rated or a payment subsidy because of the recall?
i asked my sales manager, she says she is not sure yet.
      09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #222
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresiv5 View Post
anybody heard anything about their lease being pro-rated or a payment subsidy because of the recall?
I sent BMW USA an email this morning asking the same thing. Will let you know what I hear.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #223
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Below is an email I sent the VP of Marketing for BMWNA Saturday Morning. I happen to meet him in Monterey CA during the BMW show at the Monterey car weekend last month at which time he gave me his contact info. We'll see if he responds.

Quote:
Hi Thomas:

I was grateful to meet you during the Monterey Weekend. I thought I would reach out to you with a few serious issues surrounding the new 2013 M5, including mine which I took delivery of this past Monday. To start with, I was very startled to find out that the car was missing 2 significant features that were both identified on the feature list and are both in the user manual.

I’m specifically referring to the power side bolsters and the high beam assistant. I’ve had these features in my other high end BMW’s and cannot believe or understand why they’re missing. My dealer is frustrated and has no idea either.

The other significant issue is the phone call I received yesterday from BMWNA telling me I can no longer drive my 4 day old car due to an issue with the oil pump. When I asked for how long or what the solution is, I was told they have no idea and that I will be receiving a letter in October with additional information. October???? I said. And he said yes, we will not have any additional information until the middle of October and in the meantime, just don’t drive your car.

I know I need not to tell you what I’m feeling right now.

I would appreciate some insight directly from you as to what is being done about all of this. Am I really not going to have my brand new M5 that I waited 3 months for a month? Really? Please tell me BMW will have this resolved in days not weeks.

I apologize for my frustration and I anxiously await your response.

Warm Regards,

Arnie Friedman | President | CPI Solutions
P: 805.987.2222 | E: afriedman@cpisolutions.com
Web: www.cpisolutions.com

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #224
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Below is an email I sent the VP of Marketing for BMWNA Saturday Morning. I happen to meet him in Monterey CA during the BMW show at the Monterey car weekend last month at which time he gave me his contact info. We'll see if he responds.
Awesome! Let's hope that he responds with a real answer. Good job!

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #225
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
How about posting his email so we can all email him with our concerns?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #226
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE

I took delivery of my F10 M5 last week ...
2 days later BMW NA contacted me and informed me I had to return the M5 for the recall ...
I dropped her off over the weekend ... BUMMER!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #227
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I sent BMW USA an email this morning asking the same thing. Will let you know what I hear.
I called BMWNA and asked the same and they replied after the recall is performed on all vehicles they would look into compensation to leased owners. I think a certified letter/email to BMWNA asking for compensation during a cease and desist order for a leased vehicle is not asking too much. I also called 2 dealers and both said the oil pumps have not been shipped from Germany. What are we looking at, 3 to 4 weeks?
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #228
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
I'll come right out and say it - I'm still driving my car.... If the engine blows up because of their faulty oil pump I'll deal with it at that time.....Either way, it's their liability under warranty.
Maybe, maybe not.

Might want to google "duty to mitigate damages" before being so smug (or at least delete your public postings).

I think if they offer to send a flatbed to you with a nice loaner, then you'd be screwed if you declined it and then your engine blew up..... Doesn't mean that they might need to compensate you somehow for lack of use of your M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #229
mycooltoast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpina B7

Quote:
yup, my dealerships comping my october payment on my m6. i had my car 26 days.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #230
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
I called BMWNA and asked the same and they replied after the recall is performed on all vehicles they would look into compensation to leased owners. I think a certified letter/email to BMWNA asking for compensation during a cease and desist order for a leased vehicle is not asking too much. I also called 2 dealers and both said the oil pumps have not been shipped from Germany. What are we looking at, 3 to 4 weeks?
Didnt someone post that once it hits around 30 days that the vehicles could be considered lemons in the majority of states?

Anyone thought of getting the media involved? Not sure what that will do for us. Maybe an organized protest in front of our local dealers...j/k
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #231
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Didnt someone post that once it hits around 30 days that the vehicles could be considered lemons in the majority of states?

Anyone thought of getting the media involved? Not sure what that will do for us. Maybe an organized protest in front of our local dealers...j/k
To what end? What do you want BMW to do for you at the moment? It would be one thing if they had the new oil pumps and were simply delaying the installation, but that's clearly not the case. Nor has BMW been less than forthcoming with information on this. When was the last time you heard of a car company calling their customers personally to alert them to a problem with their cars?

I want BMW's attention focused solely on getting the replacement pumps manufactured and into U.S. service centers as quickly as possible. I do not want BMW to be distracted by sensationalist stories in the media. I also fail to see the point of further attempts to generate negative publicity by owners of the cars themselves. Most of us purchased these cars rather than leased, and I don't see why we would want to do anything to negatively impact the cars' resale value by drawing further attention to the recall.

My new M5 has been in the shop or disabled for the majority of days that I've owned it. Believe me, I feel everybody's pain, but there's no point in losing perspective.

At the very least, we should wait and see what BMW offers to compensate us for this ordeal before we go throwing temper tantrums. There will be plenty of time to worry about compensation after the new oil pumps are in and our cars are back on the road.

With regard to a potential Lemon Law claim, most states require four attempted repairs of the same problem or thirty days of loss of use before a return of the car can be forced. By my calendar, BMW still has 26 days to get the parts to our dealers and get them into our cars before a Lemon Law claim accrues. Here's hoping it doesn't take anywhere near that long to get us back driving our cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #232
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
To what end? What do you want BMW to do for you at the moment? It would be one thing if they had the new oil pumps and were simply delaying the installation, but that's clearly not the case. Nor has BMW been less than forthcoming with information on this. When was the last time you heard of a car company calling their customers personally to alert them to a problem with their cars?

I want BMW's attention focused solely on getting the replacement pumps manufactured and into U.S. service centers as quickly as possible. I do not want BMW to be distracted by sensationalist stories in the media. I also fail to see the point of further attempts to generate negative publicity by owners of the cars themselves. Most of us purchased these cars rather than leased, and I don't see why we would want to do anything to negatively impact the cars' resale value by drawing further attention to the recall.

My new M5 has been in the shop or disabled for the majority of days that I've owned it. Believe me, I feel everybody's pain, but there's no point in losing perspective.

At the very least, we should wait and see what BMW offers to compensate us for this ordeal before we go throwing temper tantrums. There will be plenty of time to worry about compensation after the new oil pumps are in and our cars are back on the road.

With regard to a potential Lemon Law claim, most states require four attempted repairs of the same problem or thirty days of loss of use before a return of the car can be forced. By my calendar, BMW still has 26 days to get the parts to our dealers and get them into our cars before and Lemon Law claim accrues. Here's hoping it doesn't take anywhere near that long to get us back driving our cars.
BMW needs to spend five minutes and articulate, via documentation, their timelines to get the cars fixed. Being told maybe X amount of weeks is unacceptable.

At the end of the day I am a businessman and I expect to get what I paid for regardless of lease or outright purchase. I am paying hard earned money for something that I cannot use with no firm time line on resolution. Would you just give money to someone for a product that you cannot use? You are obviously successful enough to be able to afford a car like this so I would assume you wouldn't just throw money away. I dont think its unfair for customers to be asked to compensated for this problem. The only person, that I know of, that deserves significant compensation for his loss is BarryB.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #233
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
BMW needs to spend five minutes and articulate, via documentation, their timelines to get the cars fixed. Being told maybe X amount of weeks is unacceptable.

At the end of the day I am a businessman and I expect to get what I paid for regardless of lease or outright purchase. I am paying hard earned money for something that I cannot use with no firm time line on resolution. Would you just give money to someone for a product that you cannot use? You are obviously successful enough to be able to afford a car like this so I would assume you wouldn't just throw money away. I dont think its unfair for customers to be asked to compensated for this problem. The only person, that I know of, that deserves significant compensation for his loss is BarryB.
Well said, and totally agree. They are handling it, but of course they are being vague about things to leave themselves a "out" so to speak. That I find to be unacceptable. Compensation should be given to ensure loyalty. "Doing they best they can" does not serve a consumer. I'm not teacher given A for effort, I need results. I would like to see reasonable compensation, and reasonable estimates of resolution.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #234
tx2900
Rep
Drives: F10 M5,Cayenne GTS,458 Spider

I'm curious whether any affected owners have not yet heard from BMW NA?

I contacted my dealer on Friday, when I read the news on this site. He gave me the same instructions - don't drive it - and had a loan car sent to me this morning.

Of course, I want to believe that my car is fine because I didn't get the call from BMW NA.

Let me just give a quick rant about my 2006 E60:
- VANOS Oil leak recall
- engine replacement at 8k miles
- clutch replacement at 12k miles
- purchased it out of 4 yr lease (biggest mistake ever) and no extended warranty was available... hydraulic transmission pump goes out week later and cost me $8k.
- sold the car immediately at auction

and here i am again. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #235
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

Might want to google "duty to mitigate damages" before being so smug (or at least delete your public postings).

I think if they offer to send a flatbed to you with a nice loaner, then you'd be screwed if you declined it and then your engine blew up..... Doesn't mean that they might need to compensate you somehow for lack of use of your M5.
Might want to read my whole post before posting a smug reply. They didn't offer to send a flatbed nor a loaner.

Last edited by mdernst; 09-24-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #236
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Just a question that intrigues my business mind, open to the affected. What would you consider to be "adequate compensation"? Excluding BarryB since his vehicle actually went down with the suspected fault.
      09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #237
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2900 View Post

I contacted my dealer on Friday, when I read the news on this site. He gave me the same instructions - don't drive it - and had a loan car sent to me this morning.

Of course, I want to believe that my car is fine because I didn't get the call from BMW NA.

- VANOS Oil leak recall
- purchased it out of 4 yr lease (biggest mistake ever) and no extended warranty was available... hydraulic transmission pump goes out week later and cost me $8k.

My service manager called me. Nothing yet from BMW NA. My car is on the list.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #238
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Just spoke to my dealer and they have zreo info from BMWNA. I do agree that a minimum they should be giving everyone an update with the timeline.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #239
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2900 View Post

- VANOS Oil leak recall

Just so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger I had to lemon a '11 535 and what did I buy? '12 X5d.
If only I could have found something more pleasing...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #240
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just spoke to my dealer and they have zreo info from BMWNA. I do agree that a minimum they should be giving everyone an update with the timeline.
I had seen more information from Toyota when they had their issues with the stuck accelerators.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #241
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
Just a question that intrigues my business mind, open to the affected. What would you consider to be "adequate compensation"? Excluding BarryB since his vehicle actually went down with the suspected fault.
Excluding BarryB...It depends. I am hearing all types of stories and how people were individually affected. It's entirely up to the consumer and what they feel is necessary to win their satisfaction.

My story is I have a car supposed to go into production next week. The only reason I know that is not happening is because I read the forums-Strike 1. They should be contacting me. I have a lease ending (not BMW) around the anticipated time I was expecting my M5, now what?- Strike 2. I emailed BMW NA, and BMWAG, no one has gotten back to me yet. I called BMW NA. They have not been told anything substantial to relay to me for my predicament. I was told I should call me dealer and maybe upper management will have other avenues to explore by means of talking to reps. Strike 3 and 4. I'm livid. They are just going to try and keep people like me on the hook and offer nothing. Meanwhile from a business perspective I feel this is a fatal tactical error. They should be reaching out to people like me at this point. Why? because I could withdraw my deposit and buy another car. As opposed to the unfortunate ones who are currently stuck with their M waiting to be fixed. I have freedom to go elsewhere, therefore I feel compensation should be an incentive for me to stay loyal to my decision to get the M5.

If you disagree so be it, but I am a business man and thats how I think. You may call it opportunistic, I call it necessary. Good luck to all of you.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #242
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Maybe they don't know yet? If it is a supply issue getting new pumps, they may be pushing the supplier to get a timeline as well at this point...
Appreciate 0