M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 F13 2014

Ams Catted Dps.

Hey guys, just added the downpipes this last weekend to the f10, i gotta say, things are a beauty outta the box, you can tell it is a high quality product non the less a very expensive one as well.. 3,200 + install for catted. BUT worth every penny, specially if you have akrapovic exhaust, when i installed the akra, i loved it i cant complain, but inside of me, something was missing.. the speed of the car just didnt have a sound that really matched the agressiveness of it. BOOM. ams catted downpipes added, with the akrapovic made a world of diff. i would seriously be as bold to say, if you have an m5 and dont add downpipes catted or non catted. you dont have an M5.
thanks ams for this great product!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Dang that means everyone who bought a m5 and hasn't put an exhaust on got jipped out. Dude that was lame.
Some guys like their car the way it came from the factory. Akra/dp sounds good. But to some the stock is all they want.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
A few clips and a detailed description of the improvements would be really appreciated. I have the M Performance Exhaust (BMW rebranded Akra) installed on my F13 M6 and though I love it and thinks it's a huge improvement over stock, I wouldn't mind a little more presence on the lower rev range and perhaps even on idle.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Dang that means everyone who bought a m5 and hasn't put an exhaust on got jipped out. Dude that was lame.
Some guys like their car the way it came from the factory. Akra/dp sounds good. But to some the stock is all they want.
sorry boots, not trying to be lame nor diminish the owners of their stock m5. all im saying is that the car comes to life in a way it could never be having a stock setup, i drove my car for 2 months before even considering any changes, however its not the same when i used to hit 250km-270km/h on the stock setup, yes the speed is the same, but the feel of the car not only the sound BUT FEEL of the car when you are pushing it, is what IMHO an M5 should feel and sound from the get go, just my 2 cents, whoever is feeling inclined to getting catted or catless dp, you will not regret it at all. oh and btw, no CEL as of now from the catted ams downpipes. regards and hope not to bother anyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
A few clips and a detailed description of the improvements would be really appreciated. I have the M Performance Exhaust (BMW rebranded Akra) installed on my F13 M6 and though I love it and thinks it's a huge improvement over stock, I wouldn't mind a little more presence on the lower rev range and perhaps even on idle.
sure thing, ill get on getting you vids for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif507
Quote:
sure thing, ill get on getting you vids for sure.
Thanks. BTW did you go for the ceramic coated?
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. BTW did you go for the ceramic coated?
i was going to get it, however after speaking with ams representatives themselves, they clearly told me they DO NOT RECOMMEND ceramic coating on their downpipes which is why they dont offer it as an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Yep We all agree that this car should have sounded the part from the get go. We all were disapointed about that. But when adding a aftermarket exhaust the car comes alive. We have the ultimate sleeper car with a weak azz piped in sound. But the glorious sounds of Rpi
Gtm/dp took care of that craving. I do know of a couple guys who don't want the noise but to each their own. By the way you can never bother anyone here. Everyone opinion is valued. Just so u know some guys w catted did get cel. Hope you don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fingerd crossed boots, ive seen plenty of the forums to know its a total coin flip, however i do feel that since i live in latin america, panama. The ecu shouldnt be as strict with the emissions as with us law. It sure isnt with the speed limiter being set at 270km/h standard. And are very willing to deactivate speed limiter at their own bmw service shop as long as you sign a waiver, whatever you still get covered. Regards brother
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

My bud is in panama right now working. That's one place I haven't had time to go to.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
My bud is in panama right now working. That's one place I haven't had time to go to.
My wife is from Panama, been there several times, it's a great place but I sure don't know where you could drive an M5 even 100 mph. The main highway to the north has been improved but the stretch that isn't the old Pan American Highway isn't very long. Driving faster than 30mph in the city isn't likely, the traffic is bad and you definitely need to learn to honk your horn.

What they do have a lot of room for running is fast boats and there are a lot of them in the bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
My wife is from Panama, been there several times, it's a great place but I sure don't know where you could drive an M5 even 100 mph. The main highway to the north has been improved but the stretch that isn't the old Pan American Highway isn't very long. Driving faster than 30mph in the city isn't likely, the traffic is bad and you definitely need to learn to honk your horn.

What they do have a lot of room for running is fast boats and there are a lot of them in the bay.
You would be very right, traffic is a bitch but i dont daily drive my M5, i have a Range Rover for the daily driving, and you would be amazed really of the infrastructure they have added north and south of the city and ill surely be posting a video of me cruising at high speeds. "they say a man has 2 happy days when owning a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it..." haha or so they sayyy!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif507 View Post
You would be very right, traffic is a bitch but i dont daily drive my M5, i have a Range Rover for the daily driving, and you would be amazed really of the infrastructure they have added north and south of the city and ill surely be posting a video of me cruising at high speeds. "they say a man has 2 happy days when owning a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it..." haha or so they sayyy!!
I will look forward to the videos. My wife has some videos of the new bridge and so I assume there is something nice on the other side of it as well. Last time we were there was 2007 so it's been a while and I know it's gotten a lot bigger since then.

I am aware of the boat thing from actual, personal experience. Actually I grew up on the water and having boats when you can launch them from your own yard is fine. We had small boats, <20 ft long and launched them from a ramp in front of our home on Galveston bay. Those were the best kind because they were low cost and easy to maintain. I bought a ski boat for the lake here in Austin and that was where I found out how much trouble it is to own a boat if you aren't right on the water. Of course the yacht club's are one way of dealing with that but there is another expense stream, in addition to the maintenance of the boat whilst sitting in the water all the time.
Appreciate 0