M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Closed Thread

09-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #4621
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Ghost combine.
Neat picture of the light, dust and combine. Love the colors.

Dave
      09-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #4622
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
@Mark: Love that picture man....real mid-western feel to it...great shot! Can almost feel my allergies acting up just looking at it
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #4623
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

dcstep: it was between the 5d2 and the 7d...I had a discussion on the general photo discussion thread. I know that they are 2 different cameras for different situations. I like the frame rate on the 7D, AF points, wireless flash capabilities and the fact that you more options on lenses....OTOH the 5d2 is said to be good at low light situations and the full frame.
      09-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #4624
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
lol, nice shot mark. you're making those fields into something more....

this is what i need to do, just get out and start shooting everything and anything to help improve my abilities.

That's what I'm trying to do. There isn't much here of interest, so by shooting things around me I'm hoping to develop some composition and exposure skills so when I do go someplace interesting, I won't screw up images on the basics.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #4625
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
@Mark: Love that picture man....real mid-western feel to it...great shot! Can almost feel my allergies acting up just looking at it
Tell me about it. I do my best to stay upwind of all that dust. My poor black X5 is a mess, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Neat picture of the light, dust and combine. Love the colors.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Last shot of the day yesterday. Took a lot of PP work to pull the combine out of the haze.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #4626
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
dcstep: it was between the 5d2 and the 7d...I had a discussion on the general photo discussion thread. I know that they are 2 different cameras for different situations. I like the frame rate on the 7D, AF points, wireless flash capabilities and the fact that you more options on lenses....OTOH the 5d2 is said to be good at low light situations and the full frame.
I've "cheated" and own both. For less than a 1D MkIV, I've got two bodies to carry so I can quickly move between lenses. The 5D2 is superior to the MkIV in ISO performance and the 7D comes close to matching the MkIV's speed and AF capacity, which is where the MkIV really stands apart. The 7D's detail resolution on cropped images is superior to the 5D2 and the MkIV, due to its really tight pixel-pitch, but that makes it less effective at high-ISOs.

If sports and/or wildlife will be a major part of your shooting, I'd recommend the 7D; otherwise, the 5D MkII is superior for portraits, landscapes, night street shooting, archetectural and general photography, assuming that you've got a FF wide-angle lens. With the right lenses the 7D can get very close to the 5D2 in the areas where it's not as strong, but it blows away the 5D2 when you need burst rates and flexible AF settings. If you need to save a few bucks, the 7D is a viable option for all uses, but the 5D2, and almost any large-sensor body, will be superior in certain instances.

If you sell images, then you want as many pixels as you can get on the image. Getty Images charges rates based on file size and the quality of a 300dpi print, so larger files mean more pay for those images that sell as large prints. Of course, the buyer has the options to select 72dpi at a lower price, but the earnings potential for larger files can be hundreds of dollars higher.

Dave
      09-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #4627
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

the question boils down to mostly what you plan to shoot, I shoot both the 5DII and the 7D just like dave, and each situation has a different need.

If i want a really really detailed and fine lines on something, i'll pick up the 7D, but at that point i'll have some flashes out to help pull everything out that i can.

the 5DII is the one that's usually around my neck however. Day to day shooting with low light, and wide angle lenses really makes it nice for travel and just wandering. Also because it is slightly softer, it does make for nicer portraits as it will smooth out a blemish a bit more, and just be kinder overall to someones skin... And that's coming from me who is covered in freckles. I hate when someone turns my 7D on me

As far as lens selection goes, if you're looking at spending the kind of money on a body such as these two, then you're likely to be looking mostly at EF lenses anyhow, so the 7D's abilities to take more lenses really becomes just as many as a FF camera, you want the quality you can afford. And if you're looking at the 5DII you're really only looking for quality. So inevitably, most of the lenses in your future will have a red stripe. So it doesn't matter which body you choose as far as lens selection goes.

What it boils down it, is what you're shooting 100% if it's all sports and moving things, i wouldn't think twice and i would grab the 7D If you're only shooting portraits and landscapes, buy a Hasselblad..... I mean 5DmkII. But if you have issues with how slow the 5DmkII is and and it's outdated autofocus, then wait for a few more months, we'll be likely to see an updated version which is more then likely to address these short commings. But keep in mind, the new version will make owning a used 5DmkII a very real reality as it will drop in price considerable when the new model replaces it.

so i think you have 3 choices. The 5DmkII, the replacement for it which is likely to be a 5DmkIII if willing to wait and pay the price, or the 7D
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #4628
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post

so i think you have 3 choices. The 5DmkII, the replacement for it which is likely to be a 5DmkIII if willing to wait and pay the price, or the 7D
Don't forget choice 4, buy both. Many have done just that and not regretted it.

Dave
      09-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #4629
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
What other body are you considering and for what primary purpose?

People that underexpose will hate the 7D above ISO 800. Since most people underexpose, you can see how the 7D gets a bad rap. Properly exposed, it's very good to ISO 1600 and decent at ISO 3200. I do 90% of my wildlife shooting at ISO 800 and the images are selling and printable in very large sizes. On that particular shot I had 700mm of lens and limited to f/5.6, so I pumped the ISO up over 800 to get a little more shutter speed.

IF you underexpose, and I've done it, you can get a nasty mosaic-like noise in dark or mottled areas with the 7D. OTOH, the 5D2 will tolerate slight underexposure better and doesn't get as nasty when it's pushed too far. It is truly 2-stops more foregiving than the 7D, BUT the 7D handles better with 8-fps and a much better AF scheme. The 1D MkIV has the best aspects of both, BUT it's a $7,000 camera and it's big an clunky.

With my 7D, noise is not a factor in my "keeper rate", but I seldom go to ISO 3200. I've got a 5D2 slung around my neck, so I can always move the lens over to that body and shoot at ISO 3200 and ISO 6400, but I'd still shoot that body at +1 or +2EV to avoid underexposure. "Expose right" is the key to maximizing dynamic range and avoiding noise. Shoot RAW with either body if you want to maximize dynamic range and minimize noise.

Click on the Flickr link and look at that image in Original size (100%). Even if you blow it up to 400% (by adjusting your monitor zoom) it stands up well.

Dave
quick point here, the 1div is only $5k. and since both my 5Dii is gripped, i actually prefer the more solid feel of the 1Diin. it's not really any bigger, but it's much more balanced.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #4630
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
quick point here, the 1div is only $5k. and since both my 5Dii is gripped, i actually prefer the more solid feel of the 1Diin. it's not really any bigger, but it's much more balanced.
lol.....

so if someone was budgeting for 7k, then they can now buy a 2k lens with the savings...

5k is definitely easier to swallow then 7k.

I'd love to try out a 1D for a few days to see how i'd like it. But if i keep buying other toys, i'm not going to ever get close to trying one out/affording one.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #4631
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Some people prefer grips and many of us do not. The new batteries in the 5D2 and 7D are excellent, good for over 2000-shots per charge, so there's no longer a need for a battery grip, except for those that prefer the shape and feel. The 1D is considerably larger than the 7D and 5D2 without the grips.

So, this is a matter of personal taste. The batteries have improved enough that lots and lots of shots can be taken per charge, so long as you don't spend a lot of time in Live View or reviewing images on the camera back (I don't). I carry a spare battery and with two bodies I can switch out batteries if need be.

Dave
      09-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #4632
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

you guys are baller status! can't have 2 cameras...first off can't afford 2, don't shoot enough to justify cost. really all i need is a nice all around camera for a nice price. 5diii, from what I hear is not coming out till next year. I supposed I can chill with my t2i till then
      09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #4633
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some people prefer grips and many of us do not. The new batteries in the 5D2 and 7D are excellent, good for over 2000-shots per charge, so there's no longer a need for a battery grip, except for those that prefer the shape and feel. The 1D is considerably larger than the 7D and 5D2 without the grips.

So, this is a matter of personal taste. The batteries have improved enough that lots and lots of shots can be taken per charge, so long as you don't spend a lot of time in Live View or reviewing images on the camera back (I don't). I carry a spare battery and with two bodies I can switch out batteries if need be.

Dave
you are correct in that being a taste issue. i never thought i needed one until i bought one...given how much of my work is done in portrait orientation, it's a real boon in terms of both comfort and ease of use.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #4634
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Dave
I Like a grip when shooting portraits, sadly i don't have one at the moment, but it's a matter of time. I used to have one on my old camera, and when i knew i would be shooting portrait i would throw it on, if i was just out for a walk around and sight seeing, i wouldn't have it on as there was no need for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #4635
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
you are correct in that being a taste issue. i never thought i needed one until i bought one...given how much of my work is done in portrait orientation, it's a real boon in terms of both comfort and ease of use.
makes it feel more "normal" when it's tipped on it's side with a trigger where you're used to.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #4636
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you guys are baller status! can't have 2 cameras...first off can't afford 2, don't shoot enough to justify cost. really all i need is a nice all around camera for a nice price. 5diii, from what I hear is not coming out till next year. I supposed I can chill with my t2i till then
if you do this in any sort of professional capacity, having more than one body is a MUST. especially if you shoot a variety of things. having shot sports at my last job in addition to portraits, i needed a 7D (then 1DiiN) for the higher frame rate over the more portrait/still oriented 5Dii.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #4637
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

this is more of a hobby that I'm trying out...i only bring the camera if I know I'm doing something that gives me the opportunity to shoot. Let's just say I don't go out of my way to find locations and go there primarily to shoot. I took it up to take pics of my kid as he grows up.
      09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #4638
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
this is more of a hobby that I'm trying out...i only bring the camera if I know I'm doing something that gives me the opportunity to shoot. Let's just say I don't go out of my way to find locations and go there primarily to shoot. I took it up to take pics of my kid as he grows up.
Is he or will he playing soccer and other sports?

Dave
      09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #4639
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Then the T2i will serve you just fine. That is what I use and I have taken what I consider some pretty decent shots with it. Even entered a few of those shots into our "local" forum competition her on 1addicts and came close to winning. So for your purposes I would just stick with the t2i aka 550d and maybe get a nifty-fifty for around $100 (for those portraits of your baby-boy) just starting out. Don't worry about that other stuff until you know your camera like the back of your hand....I use this site to learn:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

As well as learning a lot from the great photographers we have on this forum (Thanks guys BTW).

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #4640
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

at dave: no sports yet...he will be doing that next season though

at adrean: yeah the T2i is good enough but I feel that I have outgrown it a little. so far I went from the xs then the t2i within 2 years. As far as gear list, i have a tamron 17-35 2.8, nifty fifty, and 70-200 f4 is(will be here on tuesday)...just recently sold the tokina 11-16 and a tamron 18-200 and a 430 ex

If you noticed, I'm trying to gradually improve my gear...I know it's not the gear that makes the picture, shit I've seen some amazing photos taken with a kit lens. but it's nice to have in your arsenal of tool. next on the list would be a 50 f1.4.
      09-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #4641
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
I use this site to learn:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
Thanks for the tip. That looks like a cool site. I may have to spend some time there.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #4642
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
at dave: no sports yet...he will be doing that next season though

at adrean: yeah the T2i is good enough but I feel that I have outgrown it a little. so far I went from the xs then the t2i within 2 years. As far as gear list, i have a tamron 17-35 2.8, nifty fifty, and 70-200 f4 is(will be here on tuesday)...just recently sold the tokina 11-16 and a tamron 18-200 and a 430 ex

If you noticed, I'm trying to gradually improve my gear...I know it's not the gear that makes the picture, shit I've seen some amazing photos taken with a kit lens. but it's nice to have in your arsenal of tool. next on the list would be a 50 f1.4.
Unless you really need the extra speed, stick with the nifty-fifty and maybe put the money on the 85mm f1.8. It's a great portrait lens and is quite fast. You just have to learn to deal with a bit of CA in some shots.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread