M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #45
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Hot red, looks awesome except the wheels(IMO). Very common wheels.
Multi spoke in gunmetal or black ll compliment this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #46
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I don't understand how this is a statement of heritage. BMW heritage colors are Silver, Alpine White and Estoril Blue.

This is a BMW in Ferrari colors with Italian style red calipers and American style wheels, and Japanese style grilles.

Imola Red was an E39 M5, but as the very name implies, it is meant to evoke Ferrari. Imola being home of the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Ferraris home track.

The only thing I see here which is a statement of heritage is the exhaust which is damn good.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 03-17-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #47
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It looks great, more over it has an Individual and not so common color
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #48
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I don't understand how this is a statement of heritage. BMW heritage colors are Silver, Alpine White and Estoril Blue.

This is a BMW in Ferrari colors with Italian style red calipers and American style wheels, and Japanese style grilles.

Imola Red was an E39 M5, but as the very name implies, it is meant to evoke Ferrari. Imola being home of the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Ferraris home track.

The only thing I see here which is a statement of heritage is the exhaust which is damn good.
I agree with stealth.pilot, I've always loved what work IND makes but I keep seeing this topic and its "flashy" title made me reply this time .

"A Statement of Heritage" is loud statement, this car has nothing subtle about it (one of most important "heritage" lost) and the few design changes that were done make it look less attractive than stock.

Painted grills - not a good idea. Stock chrome outline looks good, while paint matched makes it look like 2 misplaced holes.
Painted door handles - why would you do that?
Wheels - unaesthetic, you guys don't get it
Exhaust - I like this, although I find it a tad bit too big

A Statement of Heritage would mean you're showcasing how a real and proper M5 should look with changes that have a direct relation to its roots - none of this is present in this car. I think it would be more fitting to name it A Statement of Individuality because this car is rather individual.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #49
Imola F10 M5
Rep
Drives: 2013 Imola Red M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I agree with stealth.pilot, I've always loved what work IND makes but I keep seeing this topic and its "flashy" title made me reply this time .

"A Statement of Heritage" is loud statement, this car has nothing subtle about it (one of most important "heritage" lost) and the few design changes that were done make it look less attractive than stock.

Painted grills - not a good idea. Stock chrome outline looks good, while paint matched makes it look like 2 misplaced holes.

A Statement of Heritage would mean you're showcasing how a real and proper M5 should look with changes that have a direct relation to its roots - none of this is present in this car. I think it would be more fitting to name it A Statement of Individuality because this car is rather individual.

Well I can respect others opinions. This car was about capturing the excitement I had when I owned the same color combo in an E39. I can't speak to the bonafied heritage of the colors, but I will say that IMO Imola is a deep vibrant color that is absent from the F10 line. I like many others coming from the factory but none grab me like this color (Orange is nice, but I like red better). In any event, this is my statement, little chrome all red and black. To me this isn't too showy or boy racer. IMO. Thanks for comments
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly. We're not taking away from IND here - I have your reflectors and your Eisenmann Sport exhaust. But in this thread, your hyped up title is like false advertising.

And if I were to call out one thing above all others that Singularity and I mentioned: I think painting over the Chrome Kidneys is basically desecration of a BMW tradition. What could be a more signature element of a BMWs design through the ages than the chrome kidneys?

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #51
dboucher30
Germany
Rep
Drives: E46 328i / F30 335i Sport

That's $$$. I want one, in red or blue!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola F10 M5 View Post
Well I can respect others opinions. This car was about capturing the excitement I had when I owned the same color combo in an E39. I can't speak to the bonafied heritage of the colors, but I will say that IMO Imola is a deep vibrant color that is absent from the F10 line. I like many others coming from the factory but none grab me like this color (Orange is nice, but I like red better). In any event, this is my statement, little chrome all red and black. To me this isn't too showy or boy racer. IMO. Thanks for comments
Maybe you'll get tired at some point in future of painted grills and put chrome back and maybe even put M6GC wheels too other than that I understand what you wanted to state, but it's more internal than external, you wanted to have a classy non-flashy M5 with a hardcore manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #53
SedateMe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

Wow!

That red would make a Ferrari blush
      03-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #54
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola F10 M5
Quote:

I like the color of your car. My point was more about how the changes took away from an excellent choice.

I do disagree that the F10 line doesn't have deep vibrant colors.

To me Monte Carlo Blue is the ultimate statement of M.

When I was a teenager I remember an Estoril Blue E34 M5 passing my dads car on the M40 and I was in awe of that car. It was bright, it was sporty, it was the ultimate expression of BMW.

To me the F10 in Monte Carlo Blue is like that but better because it is much more reflective thanks to the galaxy blue xirallic flakes in the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #55
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Heritage or not Heritage... Blah Blah Blah, why are people getting hung upon words. :

Anyways, the car looks great IMO and suits the owners "Individual" taste! Well done IND

GTS
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #56
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not sold on the rims but I like the smoothness of the overall look!
      03-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #57
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Exactly. We're not taking away from IND here - I have your reflectors and your Eisenmann Sport exhaust. But in this thread, your hyped up title is like false advertising.

And if I were to call out one thing above all others that Singularity and I mentioned: I think painting over the Chrome Kidneys is basically desecration of a BMW tradition. What could be a more signature element of a BMWs design through the ages than the chrome kidneys?

Hey PUNK! -lol! (kidding of course) You saying I "desecrated" my BMW?!

I have black grilles, painted over door handles AND HRE Wheels. IMO another sort of "tradition" of owning BMWs, especially M cars, is the unique personalization of them that owners have taken to over the decades.

I hear you when you are implying "Classic" as "tradition" and that does make sense, and Imola is not a classic BMW color, nor is the entire car really in any way "traditional" with it's stylings, but I give the owner a lot of credit for the attention to detail and the obvious passion he has for making his car his own, and again, that sort of IS a BMW owner's tradition in and of itself. He didn't go "cheap" on this build either. He did it with care and dedication, even refinishing the wheels to a different tint after not appreciating the original brushed clear finish. Lot of effort here. I know you are not bashing him and are taking more of an issue with the "statement" the headline makes but he really deserves applause not schooling on "tradition" (also seems to take criticism constructively and with a healthy serving of grace) Tradition is a pretty subjective thing anyway. Who wrote the rules on what BMW tradition is anyway? Heck, all the colors have been altered over the years and the body styles have changed along the way. Who knows. Who cares.

Remember the "tradition" of BMW door handles being steel and not this cheap plastic chrome insert? Didn't need to paint 'em.

And speaking of tradition. I wish BMW would re-focus itself on the tradition of making the M5 stand out. They sure forgot this concept on the F10. If you weren't an enthusiast you might not realize what perfection is sitting next to you at the light until it leaves you like a Pit Bull with Michael Vick on his tail!

Very cool car. Nice job. OK, now back to desecrating mine!-hahahahahaha!
Attached Images

Last edited by ColdList; 03-17-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #58
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 335i

loooooooooooooove it.

In Winter Mode - Dunlop Wintersport 3D/Sport Edition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #59
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlist
And speaking of tradition. I wish BMW would re-focus itself on the tradition of making the M5 stand out. They sure forgot this concept on the F10. If you weren't an enthusiast you might not realize what perfection is sitting next to you at the light until it leaves you like a Pit Bull with Michael Vick on his tail!
Coldlist - I hate to correct you old chap, but I think your assertion that M5s did stand out traditionally is way off target. The M3s did with their power bulges, but M5s have always looked relatively ordinary.

Here are some pictures I took at the F10 M5 launch event which I attended in Spain.

E28 M5 - The first gen pretty much had a standard 5 series body. Hood is ordinary, bumper is ordinary, fenders are ordinary. Again more like a standard 5 than the F10 version.

E34 M5 - The second gen M5 had some fancy door mirrors, small rear spoiler, front lip, white turn signals and the signature M-Double spokes, but other than that was also pretty plain. Less differentiation from standard 5 than the current model has.

E39 M5 - The third gen M5 added a nice M aero bumper - more than just the lip on previous models. However hood and fenders look pretty standard. Mirrors are more ordinary than the ones on the E34 M5. No side vents. Generally a pretty regular looking 5. The m Double spokes are very similar to those on the E39 540i. Also in this gen, BMW started providing clear turn signals to M-Sport models which killed the exclusivity of the m turn signals on the E34.

E60 M5 - The first one which looks meaningfully different than a non-M 5. However it is in contrast to the ordinary look of the previous M5s. And the things which differentiate the E60 m5, are also present on the F10 M5 - fender vents, wider fenders, mirrors, wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #60
BimmerShark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009-Z428i

absolutely stunning!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #61
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Stunning!

Nicely done IND!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #62
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Coldlist - I hate to correct you old chap, but I think your assertion that M5s did stand out traditionally is way off target. The M3s did with their power bulges, but M5s have always looked relatively ordinary.

Here are some pictures I took at the F10 M5 launch event which I attended in Spain.

E28 M5 - The first gen pretty much had a standard 5 series body. Hood is ordinary, bumper is ordinary, fenders are ordinary. Again more like a standard 5 than the F10 version.

E34 M5 - The second gen M5 had some fancy door mirrors, small rear spoiler, front lip, white turn signals and the signature M-Double spokes, but other than that was also pretty plain. Less differentiation from standard 5 than the current model has.

E39 M5 - The third gen M5 added a nice M aero bumper - more than just the lip on previous models. However hood and fenders look pretty standard. Mirrors are more ordinary than the ones on the E34 M5. No side vents. Generally a pretty regular looking 5. The m Double spokes are very similar to those on the E39 540i. Also in this gen, BMW started providing clear turn signals to M-Sport models which killed the exclusivity of the m turn signals on the E34.

E60 M5 - The first one which looks meaningfully different than a non-M 5. However it is in contrast to the ordinary look of the previous M5s. And the things which differentiate the E60 m5, are also present on the F10 M5 - fender vents, wider fenders, mirrors, wheels.
Well I stand corrected bro! Who can argue with data like that.

Then I assert that BMW should start a NEW tradition and flash 'em up a bit! I'm gonna keep the movement going by modding mine more and more!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #63
singularity
Driver
Rep

By the way that M5 E60 on the picture has the wheels from M6 E63
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #64
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
By the way that M5 E60 on the picture has the wheels from M6 E63
Good catch!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #65
spkcadet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 JGC Summit

He lives in Cleveland Ohio? I must find him and see this in person!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #66
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

OMG...this M5 is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0