Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Noisy/whiney DCT pump ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello Chaps,
Does anyone else hear, a noisy or whiney pump sort of noise, when the engine and gearbox are warming up ?. Its quite audiable, if you dont have the radio on, and are pulling away from a junction etc, for the first few miles, as the car is warming up. Seems to be from the gearbox area, any opinions ?, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hello Chaps,
Does anyone else hear, a noisy or whiney pump sort of noise, when the engine and gearbox are warming up ?. Its quite audiable, if you dont have the radio on, and are pulling away from a junction etc, for the first few miles, as the car is warming up. Seems to be from the gearbox area, any opinions ?, regards, SIMON.
Normal type of noise from an SMG/DCT transmission.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Yup! get used to it or put it into 'Sport or Sport+', the noise is not as loud.

I did (8 months into ownership).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
TheStig
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alot of everything.

word.
-08 M3 DCT W/ Full Exhaust / Tune
-13 B8 Audi S4 APR Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep

Thanks Guys,
I thought it would be a pump noise of sorts, and it doesnt bother me. Just wanted to know if it was normal, thankyou for the replys.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Hmm... is that what that is? I don't remember my M3 w/DCT doing that.

It almost sounds like metal on metal sometimes.
      03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Hmm... is that what that is? I don't remember my M3 w/DCT doing that.

It almost sounds like metal on metal sometimes.
Metal on metal doesn't sound right. It's more of a high pitched whine as the high pressure pump is initialising etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Metal on metal doesn't sound right. It's more of a high pitched whine as the high pressure pump is initialising etc.
Bish,
Just for my peace of mind, how long do you notice the pump noise for, after running from cold ?., I can hear it, for maybe up to 10 minutes, whilst the car is warming up, then its all silent, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

My car in D mode starting in 2nd gear sounds like the old school bus that used to pick us up way back when lol
      03-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bish,
Just for my peace of mind, how long do you notice the pump noise for, after running from cold ?., I can hear it, for maybe up to 10 minutes, whilst the car is warming up, then its all silent, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Honestly Simon I think you've summed it up nicely. Mine acts as above. Perhaps less time for the whine to subside during warm weather since the oil heats up quicker. If you really want to hear a racket from a DCT transmission, drive a GT-R! lol
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Honestly Simon I think you've summed it up nicely. Mine acts as above. Perhaps less time for the whine to subside during warm weather since the oil heats up quicker. If you really want to hear a racket from a DCT transmission, drive a GT-R! lol
Bish
Hi Bish,
Yes, i had a MY10 GT-R, and you are correct, that transmission made all sorts of noises, and clunks, and because it was supposed to do that, i remember thinking that i actually liked the noises, it made the car feel very race car like. In the M5, because its a different kind of car, a car thats just quality through and through, any type of mechanical, whiney, metallic unidentified noises, im on it like a rash, trying to work out, what the noise is. Our spring has started really badly over here, with plummeting temps, and snow everywhere, so im probably noticing the noise for a few minutes longer, because its taking longer to warm through. Thanks for your input, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Bish,
Yes, i had a MY10 GT-R, and you are correct, that transmission made all sorts of noises, and clunks, and because it was supposed to do that, i remember thinking that i actually liked the noises, it made the car feel very race car like. In the M5, because its a different kind of car, a car thats just quality through and through, any type of mechanical, whiney, metallic unidentified noises, im on it like a rash, trying to work out, what the noise is. Our spring has started really badly over here, with plummeting temps, and snow everywhere, so im probably noticing the noise for a few minutes longer, because its taking longer to warm through. Thanks for your input, regards, SIMON.
You're welcome Simon. I also owned a 2009 GT-R for about 18 months and tracked it extensively. 'Noisy' car in many ways but I loved them all. Take care.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
LDNMaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Does anyone happen to have a sound clip or video of this noise?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Hello Chaps,
Simon,
yes and its really piss poor in my view. Lasts about 10 minutes and is definitely worse in the winter or if you don't drive the car for a while.

My car went back for a week because of it. I recorded it and the BMW service guys told me to bring the car in as they didn't think it was right. They did a lot of work with mic's trying to pin point the noise. They pinpointed to the gearbox/transmission area. They couldn't see anything wrong with it and borrowed a brand new M5 from Park lane which made the exact same noise. I was in an M6 grand coupe and it also makes the same noise. They raised a PUMA case with BMW AG but nothing heard back on it.

I have an M3 with DCT and it doesn't make any noise like this hence why I was quite worried about it but BMW's final response was, its ok and they are all like that.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #15
LDNMaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Neil
If you still have the recording could you let me know, I would like to hear it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Just post it here!
What I have noticed is that the Gearbox does a "whine" sound all the time when driving. I remember my Motorcycle had the same thing and it was normal. So I am kinda used to it and actually enjoy it. I especially hear it in gear 1 and 2 and when engine breaking, which was the exact case on my motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Bish,
Simon I had the 2013 June M5 for 4 days NO such noise mate, and I would have jumped on that if I had heard it, I would get it looked at.

EDIT: having said that, from March build the M5 has undergone changes to steering and suspension and other stuff, so you may need a software update.
I will find the news and add it here.

Read this half way down: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975
      08-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Simon I had the 2013 June M5 for 4 days NO such noise mate, and I would have jumped on that if I had heard it, I would get it looked at.

EDIT: having said that, from March build the M5 has undergone changes to steering and suspension and other stuff, so you may need a software update.
I will find the news and add it here.

Read this half way down: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975
my car is a MY 2013 and the car that BMW sent over was an even newer one so perhaps you didnt notice it. I didnt notice it on my car for a while.

Today though with the new LCI in I was at my dealer and was able to take the LCi for a quick spin, first thing I noticed when starting up was the whining noise, my salesman was somewhat relieved to hear it given I would have given him a hard time. just to be clear it's not that bad an issue, just in the morning it sounds a bit like the fan on a bus.

BMW are working on a measures program for my M5 and first part of that is to update all the software which will happen sometime next week. M3 is in first for the new DCT code which has been ported over from the M3 GTS and is apparently brutal!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I'll Dig the recoding out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
my car is a MY 2013 and the car that BMW sent over was an even newer one so perhaps you didnt notice it. I didnt notice it on my car for a while.

Today though with the new LCI in I was at my dealer and was able to take the LCi for a quick spin, first thing I noticed when starting up was the whining noise, my salesman was somewhat relieved to hear it given I would have given him a hard time. just to be clear it's not that bad an issue, just in the morning it sounds a bit like the fan on a bus.

BMW are working on a measures program for my M5 and first part of that is to update all the software which will happen sometime next week. M3 is in first for the new DCT code which has been ported over from the M3 GTS and is apparently brutal!
I will listen out for that noise Neil, sounds like the M3 will go much better, let us know.
      08-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I'll Dig the recoding out tomorrow.
I would like to get a feel for the noise to get straight on BMW's back
      08-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #22
Simon H
Major
Rep

Hi Chaps,
I know the noise you are speaking of here, as it seems to be a standard noise, but the noise i was refering to is more of a ringing sound, that has happened on a couple of occasions, but then disappeared. The car is fine, and i dont think any software updates are needed.
Appreciate 0