07-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Craighadley
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 2012

M5 F10 shudder/judder

Hi,
Not sure if this has been covered had a look and can't seem to find anything that covers what I'm asking.

I've recently purchased a 2012 m5 on long drive home 230 mile I stopped at services selected reverse to park car and soon as I touched the throttle the car started to shudder as if it was coming from prop shaft. Car drove perfectly fine up until then, I was half way and was now 9pm at night so I decided to carrying on home, no problems at all rest of way apart from when I parked on drive same thing again.

Ive noticed that now when cold its very lumpy on pull off, as if it was a manila with very poor clutch control. And still doing same in reverse wether cold or warm. Going forward only happens when cold.

Ive notified the garage of course and they are happy for me to get it inspected. I currently have it booked in Tuesday 9th July at a BMW main dealer for an inspection.

If anyone has had any experience of this sort of thing I'd really appreciate some heads up on it before car goes in.

Depending what happens on Tuesday I'll then find out what the garage I bought car from are prepared to do about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Dct boxes sometimes feel shuddering at low speed
Appreciate 1
94jedi830.00
      07-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Dct boxes sometimes feel shuddering at low speed
Seems to be fairly common right?
      07-06-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

No,can't recall my DCT shuddering at any slow speed, it has to be smooth.If it shudders then there is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
No,can't recall my DCT shuddering at any slow speed, it has to be smooth.If it shudders then there is a problem.
Yea, I've heard a lot of people complaining about it...mine doesn't do it, but was waiting for my turn for it to happen lol.
      07-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Yea, I've heard a lot of people complaining about it...mine doesn't do it, but was waiting for my turn for it to happen lol.
If it does start up then it's time for trans fluid and filter change together with wiping those sensors and magnets.
Appreciate 1
94jedi830.00
      07-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
If it does start up then it's time for trans fluid and filter change together with wiping those sensors and magnets.
99% of the time mine is smooth. I do get the odd shudder but I can't recall the circumstances.

I have serviced my gearbox and cleaned the sensors and magnets but FYI you cannot get to them all without stripping the gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
99% of the time mine is smooth. I do get the odd shudder but I can't recall the circumstances.

I have serviced my gearbox and cleaned the sensors and magnets but FYI you cannot get to them all without stripping the gearbox.
Yes I recall you saying that but doing some of them is doing the 'box good.You did say the oil was clear when you drained it out at round 46000 miles, were the sensors and magnets that you could get to reasonably clean also?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I recall you saying that but doing some of them is doing the 'box good.You did say the oil was clear when you drained it out at round 46000 miles, were the sensors and magnets that you could get to reasonably clean also?
I'm sure it was less than 46k but I'm not sure. I've nearly got 48k now and It seemed like quite a while since I did it. Just replaced conrod shells this weekend too.

The oil was very clean yes. There was some debris on the sensors I could get to, there was enough to reach from magnet to sensor. I used a toothbrush to clean the harder to reach ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure it was less than 46k but I'm not sure. I've nearly got 48k now and It seemed like quite a while since I did it. Just replaced conrod shells this weekend too.

The oil was very clean yes. There was some debris on the sensors I could get to, there was enough to reach from magnet to sensor. I used a toothbrush to clean the harder to reach ones.
That's good info for the ppl doing their own trans oil change,did you also change the plastic sump to a metal one..and..wow.. is the car back on the road after the r/bearing shells change. That would be phenomenal
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's good info for the ppl doing their own trans oil change,did you also change the plastic sump to a metal one..and..wow.. is the car back on the road after the r/bearing shells change. That would be phenomenal
No I purchased another genuine plastic sump. I can't see the need to spend all that money on the metal sump if I'm honest.

Yeah the beast is back on the road. I was glad to drive her home last night, my back was giving me some grief.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
No I purchased another genuine plastic sump. I can't see the need to spend all that money on the metal sump if I'm honest.

Yeah the beast is back on the road. I was glad to drive her home last night, my back was giving me some grief.
Back strain from doing the job-hope you had someone helping you..well you had to as you couldn't do it yourself surely.
Take the day off tomorrow and rest that back
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Back strain from doing the job-hope you had someone helping you..well you had to as you couldn't do it yourself surely.
Take the day off tomorrow and rest that back
No help, had people knocking around at times but nobody to help me.

I've had the day off today so back is rested ready to get back to work tomorrow. Got rear pads and diff oil to replace on the big M during the week, nice easy job.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
No help, had people knocking around at times but nobody to help me.

I've had the day off today so back is rested ready to get back to work tomorrow. Got rear pads and diff oil to replace on the big M during the week, nice easy job.
A quick recovery if I may say! What are the old shells looking like-I know you said you'll be posting some pics soon of the work you did and the condition of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A quick recovery if I may say! What are the old shells looking like-I know you said you'll be posting some pics soon of the work you did and the condition of them.
Yeah It doesn't usually take me long to recover. I didn't get a huge amount of photos due to me working on my own.

The bearings were not in bad shape actually. They are made from the same materials that the later e92 m3s are. With the m3 shells some are very good and others are very bad. Seems to be luck of the draw. There was zero debris in the oil filter which I check every service and zero debris in either of the oil pickup gauzes.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah It doesn't usually take me long to recover. I didn't get a huge amount of photos due to me working on my own.

The bearings were not in bad shape actually. They are made from the same materials that the later e92 m3s are. With the m3 shells some are very good and others are very bad. Seems to be luck of the draw. There was zero debris in the oil filter which I check every service and zero debris in either of the oil pickup gauzes.
That's good news then that your engine wasn't abused in it's early life or certainly not on a regular basis that would cause the shells to shred and bits travel through the engine to the filter but as you said you had to be sure or risk a lunched engine (hot rod speak).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's good news then that your engine wasn't abused in it's early life or certainly not on a regular basis that would cause the shells to shred and bits travel through the engine to the filter but as you said you had to be sure or risk a lunched engine (hot rod speak).
Absolutely, generally the m5s with failures tend to be higher mileage unless they have been abused. Saw one with bearing failure at 10k. As my car has had more than average previous owners (seems like people didn't expect the running costs) I wasn't sure if it had been owned by some young numpty who abused it. Not counting myself in this despite being 26 years old when buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #18
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely, generally the m5s with failures tend to be higher mileage unless they have been abused. Saw one with bearing failure at 10k. As my car has had more than average previous owners (seems like people didn't expect the running costs) I wasn't sure if it had been owned by some young numpty who abused it. Not counting myself in this despite being 26 years old when buying the car.
I'd say its not strange for these having a few short term owners for the reasons you state, running costs and indeed it may be better to have two or three owners who were sympathetic to just one previous owner who unwittingly thrashed the engine when cold. One previous owner cars may not be as good as people think.
*Your car must be the star of the street with the high rise carbon spoiler and 3 fin diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd say its not strange for these having a few short term owners for the reasons you state, running costs and indeed it may be better to have two or three owners who were sympathetic to just one previous owner who unwittingly thrashed the engine when cold. One previous owner cars may not be as good as people think.
*Your car must be the star of the street with the high rise carbon spoiler and 3 fin diffuser.
I must say the high kick carbon spoiler looks the business. I wasn't sure I would like it. Pics will be uploaded at some point but not washed the car this weekend.

I've just realised, we are jacking this thread . Sorry OP, carry on sir.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I must say the high kick carbon spoiler looks the business. I wasn't sure I would like it. Pics will be uploaded at some point but not washed the car this weekend.

I've just realised, we are jacking this thread . Sorry OP, carry on sir.
Yeah same here, sorry OP.
Appreciate 0