M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Dainty timing chains. Stretched or normal ?

I have just renewed the valve cover gaskets on my 2011 X5 M, along with many other things. And I noticed while I was in there; that the timing chain looked really cheap, and when I went to touch it. It felt light as a feather.. I replaced bank 2 vcg first, and in doing so I wanted to check and see how the chain felt, as far as tightness.

The drivers side chain that sits in the cam gears felt like I could wiggle it, and very slightly move it up. I didn’t move up much at all, but enough that the other came up off the cam gear. Now when I did the passenger side Vcg. I also checked the chain on the cam gear. And it was tight. Couldn’t move it at all.

I’ve been around German cars my while life. Pulled v8 s4 engines to do the chains and guides. And I’ve never seen such chains that are on this vehicle.

Does anyone know if this is normal to have that tiny bit of movement. I know it’s hard to make a judgment just off how it felt; without actually turning / rotating the crank to check different positions. So I know there will be certain spots in the chain that become more loose or more tight.

Anyone experienced enough with these to know?

I don’t mind replacing the timing chains, for peace of mind. But I was told by a bmw engineer that I’ll never have to do anything to the engine internals. As long as the oil is kept up with, and it’s regularly maintained.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower603 View Post
I have just renewed the valve cover gaskets on my 2011 X5 M, along with many other things. And I noticed while I was in there; that the timing chain looked really cheap, and when I went to touch it. It felt light as a feather.. I replaced bank 2 vcg first, and in doing so I wanted to check and see how the chain felt, as far as tightness.

The drivers side chain that sits in the cam gears felt like I could wiggle it, and very slightly move it up. I didn’t move up much at all, but enough that the other came up off the cam gear. Now when I did the passenger side Vcg. I also checked the chain on the cam gear. And it was tight. Couldn’t move it at all.

I’ve been around German cars my while life. Pulled v8 s4 engines to do the chains and guides. And I’ve never seen such chains that are on this vehicle.

Does anyone know if this is normal to have that tiny bit of movement. I know it’s hard to make a judgment just off how it felt; without actually turning / rotating the crank to check different positions. So I know there will be certain spots in the chain that become more loose or more tight.

Anyone experienced enough with these to know?

I don’t mind replacing the timing chains, for peace of mind. But I was told by a bmw engineer that I’ll never have to do anything to the engine internals. As long as the oil is kept up with, and it’s regularly maintained.
It's 100% normal. The tensioners are hydraulic and work off of oil pressure. So when you checked them they only had the small spring pressure applying tension. As far as the chain being cheap or dainty, I say it's more than big enough to do it's job and light enough to save some efficiency, which is exactly the point.
M5Rick60060.50
      06-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
Tama
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw M5 F10

Hi, I had a problem replacing the valve stems, starting with cylinder 5, I replaced the valve stems on the exhaust side, no problem, continuing on the intake side, I had a problem, I couldn't remove the spring vtt compression tools, so I turned the engine around so I could remove the tool and change the valve stems. Continuing on cylinder 6, I turn the engine to put cylinder 6 in the high position and I realize that it is blocking at cylinder 8, the valve must touch the piston, I have probably shifted the valves on the intake side , how to reset the valves on the intake side ?

My car 2013 bmw f10 M5.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0