M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Most HP Intake Setup!

Alright guys so many intakes out there and they all are very similar.
Lots of members have asked or wondered who's better or the most gains ect.

Lets get as much facts as we can from everyone's personal and proven experiences. Any proven Dyno graphs or any company literature claiming their true gains.:

Most member set ups

1- Stock intake
K&N or BMS filters
Carbon filter delete
Bottom half intake box has metal cap no snorkel
RPI scoops

Other competetors

2- Gruppe M
3- DINAN
4- AFE
5- Agency Power
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

I have the Agency Power intakes which are basically the same design and materials as the Gruppe M intakes. My vbox results 60-130mph were ever so slightly better with the AP intakes compared to K&N drop-ins and carbon filter delete. I believe it was .05s quicker which is statistically a dead heat in very similar conditions. Your money is better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I have the Agency Power intakes which are basically the same design and materials as the Gruppe M intakes. My vbox results 60-130mph were ever so slightly better with the AP intakes compared to K&N drop-ins and carbon filter delete. I believe it was .05s quicker which is statistically a dead heat in very similar conditions. Your money is better spent elsewhere.
Yes, I don't think the intakes really have much effect until the car is running over 100mph. They look good if you get carbon mesh but functionally, they are for high speed running.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
m6beast
Captain
Rep

The only gain I noticed was the carbon filter delete. I believe that's where all these intakes are getting most of their gains. Even when I installed my K&N filter plus RPI scoops really didn't notice as much as the carbon filter delete.
Wish I would have dynoed it before and after but I'm just so impatient.
I believe if any gains it is up top with the ram air scoops but even that there's so much air and the factory set up is just as good.
Just my two sense, I wish I could speak from my personal Dyno but don't have any lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have run the AFE setup and they work very well.
I am interested in the Dinan setup.
I have always seen the most gains from Dinan's on most BMW applications.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
m6beast
Captain
Rep

I don't think you'll get much power out of them especially if you compare to factory box with these upgrades that have metal cap cover on bottom of intake, carbon filter delete, K&N and rpi ram air ducts.
They are the same set up as factory just a different design.
As for me I've never seen any great gains on any dinan products at least from what I've researched and not much documentation to prove if any increase.
Dinan is great if you feel you like top dollar warranty parts but as for performance gains they don't come close to the competition.
But everybody has their preference and its what they like and feel comfortable with on their investment.
So would lie to see someone Dyno a before and after dinan intake from their personal car. And of course after letting the car adapt for a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast
I don't think you'll get much power out of them especially if you compare to factory box with these upgrades that have metal cap cover on bottom of intake, carbon filter delete, K&N and rpi ram air ducts.
They are the same set up as factory just a different design.
As for me I've never seen any great gains on any dinan products at least from what I've researched and not much documentation to prove if any increase.
Dinan is great if you feel you like top dollar warranty parts but as for performance gains they don't come close to the competition.
But everybody has their preference and its what they like and feel comfortable with on their investment.
So would lie to see someone Dyno a before and after dinan intake from their personal car. And of course after letting the car adapt for a couple of days.
You asked the question and then criticize when someone else states what you asked ?? You obviously don't like Dinan products so you should exclude that intake form this list because you will not accept anyone else's view.

I don't disagree that they are priced high for the market but that does not mean the product does not work as advertised or is not good at all. My timex keeps time just as well as my others but there is a lot that goes it to a hublot or other nice watch. You are paying for brand, cad, real engineering, testing and build quality. Of course may people could be happy with the timex but some seek alternatives.

Don't ask questions that you don't want answers too.
      08-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
You asked the question and then criticize when someone else states what you asked ?? You obviously don't like Dinan products so you should exclude that intake form this list because you will not accept anyone else's view.

I don't disagree that they are priced high for the market but that does not mean the product does not work as advertised or is not good at all. My timex keeps time just as well as my others but there is a lot that goes it to a hublot or other nice watch. You are paying for brand, cad, real engineering, testing and build quality. Of course may people could be happy with the timex but some seek alternatives.

Are you serious? I was giving my opinion and have owned dinan products and not once did I bash their products I was just stating I haven't seen real performance numbers on paper by any members that's all. As for all the other companies I haven't seen much on them either. Usually you'll see Dyno numbers with additional bolt ons so there is still a lot of unknown.
All I was asking was for fellow members to bring light with some proven factual info. Even I don't have any for I haven't dynoed before and after on any intake.
So sorry to make you feel this way that was not my intention.

Dinan has the facility because of his price point and not knocking him for that one bit. I've been around for a long time, I'm not here to bash dinan I'm here to get some clear info for others are always asking.

So once again just get back to what was the purpose of this thread, getting real proven numbers documented by fellow members if available. Take TomC's example, Vbox numbers giving some factual info from his intake install.

That is all man hope you're day gets better

Last edited by m6beast; 08-08-2014 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Who got Spinny started?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Who got Spinny started?

Now we just need one owner to buy all of them and test each one.
      08-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Who got Spinny started?
Lol! I guess I did! Sorry spiny lol!

Well I think most of us have bought one or the other just to impatient to Dyno.
Spiny you calm down yet lol
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
Lol! I guess I did! Sorry spiny lol!

Well I think most of us have bought one or the other just to impatient to Dyno.
Spiny you calm down yet lol
I think Spinny forgot to take his meds.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post

And I have seen Spinnys Hublot watch. It is badazz I must admiti! I myself only deleted the carbon filter and am now running KN filters. If none of us push the envelope on trying different parts, our cars they all would be drone copys. I applaud those of us who purchase products to enhance our cars, visual or performance wise thus my thread about putting mods on our cars. Some are pricey and some not as much. But also, iet takes a special person to step up and spend the money to test something that all we do is talk and disagree about when 99% is not willing to pay for. Regardless if it is a lagitimate arguement between competing companies or not real world testing is where it is at. Spinny will test out his equipment soon and I give him thumbs up for stepping up to the plate. I hope these products produce the hp that was listed.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

I have the Gruppe M.
I think I can feel a slight gain in power over the filter delete. I have not had a chance to run the Gruppe M at the track vs the filter delete.
I don't like the fact that they are not a sealed box (and make a weird sucking noise not to be confussed with an induction sound), which is why I am leaning towards the Dinans as possibly a better unit.
Plus the oil off K&Ns is known to foul the MAFs, anyone running K&Ns should clean the MAFs every so often.
      08-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I have the Gruppe M.
I think I can feel a slight gain in power over the filter delete. I have not had a chance to run the Gruppe M at the track vs the filter delete.
I don't like the fact that they are not a sealed box (and make a weird sucking noise not to be confussed with an induction sound), which is why I am leaning towards the Dinans as possibly a better unit.
Plus the oil off K&Ns is known to foul the MAFs, anyone running K&Ns should clean the MAFs every so often.
I talked to a guy on the M6 board (Noushy) who said the Dinan Stage 1 fixed the sucking sound of the Gruppe M. He liked the Dinan Stage 1 and said it made his car run smoother until it was smashed into.

I had the filter delete before I got the intakes and I didn't notice any difference. I think that it was the intakes that allowed me to take boots up top, assuming the Dinan wasn't working. They may have had more impact than catless pipes on the high end.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #16
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I am still using OEM intakes and filters.....