M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I just saw this thread. The dyno result of Dinan
Just called the place I know of with the Dynojet to see if it's fixed yet. I am really interested in seeing what the difference in mine and this one would be. Thing is though, greentrbo had said he got a 561 whp stock from his '13 M5 which is more than this car is making with mods and I think it's what CP cars are typically getting. I don't understand how he got such a good number unless it was at a very cool temperature like 50F or so. He doesn't give specifics in this thread but he may have posted it somewhere on our forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
My opinion is that it's very hard to compare dynos on two diff cars just too many variables unless done on the same day with the same dyno.

I took a dyno of my car with BMS "3 " just before I returned it to stock to ship out and it ran 605hp.

I will use the same operator, same setup, same dyno, and close temps when I get home ( if the dyno is fixed) this one is also broken at the moment.

The one thing to note is it's not all about peak as other have mentioned. I guess for the price we expect great things out of the Dinan. We will see how they compare number wise soon. Most importantly is where and how the Dinan uses the power vs BMS.
      08-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #25
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
My opinion is that it's very hard to compare dynos on two diff cars just too many variables unless done on the same day with the same dyno.

I took a dyno of my car with BMS "3 " just before I returned it to stock to ship out and it ran 605hp.

I will use the same operator, same setup, same dyno, and close temps when I get home ( if the dyno is fixed) this one is also broken at the moment.

The one thing to note is it's not all about peak as other have mentioned. I guess for the price we expect great things out of the Dinan. We will see how they compare number wise soon. Most importantly is where and how the Dinan uses the power vs BMS.
Definitely agree about the peak point. I think right now I am much more pleased based on some of the other data being posted in the hot weather as comparison points. Check this data point out. He has generally the same setup as you did but I don't think you had the intake. Didn't you trap at 125 using your vbox?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:

Excellent points especially on where and how the power is used. Very much looking forward to all comparisons; Dynos, 1/4mile, rolling starts etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #27
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:

Definitely agree about the peak point. I think right now I am much more pleased based on some of the other data being posted in the hot weather as comparison points. Check this http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=93" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://f10.m5post.co...stcount=93</a>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...unt=93</a></a>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...93</a></a></a>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...a></a></a></a>] data point [/url] out. He has generally the same setup as you did but I don't think you had the intake. Didn't you trap at 125 using your vbox?
11.7@127 was my best. With K&N and Noelle only.
I have a SD card in my sport so my runs should be saved? Have not learned how to use the thing yet. Each run I do erases the previous because don't know where to save so I have to do a screen shot then hit reset. If each run is saved to the card then I can see about uploading it to the web for verification. The slope was prob a bit up hill ( slight) until the last 100' the was about level to the eye or down slightly. Temp was 51f

The car was capable of more but I can admit that I am not the best driver ( or speller).
      08-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Actually I went back and found some other members results with bone stock and it appears that my 12.0 with a 2.0s 60ft and 120.3 mph trap is about right for stock. Here is one that was completely bone stock with 11.9 and 119 on a 1.9s 60ft. Then with launch control he got 11.79 and 119.9 on a 1.85s 60ft. Both of these are comparable to my best "stock" result which was with the Dinan exhaust only.

Here is Stealth with a total bone stock car and he posted a 11.92 at 118.5mph with a 1.96 60ft time. He has a better 60ft and thus a better ET but his trap speed was only 118.5.

Definitely the tune and the pipes are having an effect and I expect it will get better with time. I will probably get better on the 60ft with more practice but I think the best I can expect without putting drag radials on is maybe 11.6 ET but that would be above 125 on the trap. Cooler temps will get me the faster trap and better surface will help too. I will try to get out to the spot on the I45 service road before it gets too hot, i.e. early in the am. Of course doing it in October would probably be about the best time of year in these parts to put down a really good number.
I dug a bit deeper and it looks like you did 120mph pre-tune and 123mph post-tune? So that is a gain. With better weather and maybe better fuel it should improve more. Looking forward to more dyno and track data being posted!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #29
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
11.7@127 was my best. With K&N and Noelle only.
I have a SD card in my sport so my runs should be saved? Have not learned how to use the thing yet. Each run I do erases the previous because don't know where to save so I have to do a screen shot then hit reset. If each run is saved to the card then I can see about uploading it to the web for verification. The slope was prob a bit up hill ( slight) until the last 100' the was about level to the eye or down slightly. Temp was 51f

The car was capable of more but I can admit that I am not the best driver ( or speller).

It makes a new file for each time you run, all of your data should be on the SD card if you left it in. I just bought a USB adapter for the SD card. You can get them for $10 or so. I have two SD cards and one is always in the box, that way I don't forget to put one in. When I get back I just swap cards and then put the one from the latest run in the adapter and shove it into the computer. I can then cut and paste the files and upload the or look at them in the Perforance Box application.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #30
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I dug a bit deeper and it looks like you did 120mph pre-tune and 123mph post-tune? So that is a gain. With better weather and maybe better fuel it should improve more. Looking forward to more dyno and track data being posted!

Mike
Yes, the 120 pretune was my best but most were 118-119. Then I got the DTronics and the CAI and did 11.9 at 123 but there was an issue with the airbox so back to the shop it went and when it came out, the DTronics had quit working. So when I took it in to get the Noelle pipes put on, they switched out the DTronics and now everything is working together. Hopefully it will get better with more adaptation time and cooler weather. All this modding and testing keeps me busy and that's a good thing since I am retired .
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #31
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Yes, the 120 pretune was my best but most were 118-119. Then I got the DTronics and the CAI and did 11.9 at 123 but there was an issue with the airbox so back to the shop it went and when it came out, the DTronics had quit working. So when I took it in to get the Noelle pipes put on, they switched out the DTronics and now everything is working together. Hopefully it will get better with more adaptation time and cooler weather. All this modding and testing keeps me busy and that's a good thing since I am retired .
Thanks again for sharing and congrats on retirement; I'm jealous.

Your car setup seems ideal. In fact from what I'm to understand from a power performance standpoint it is identical to Steve Dinan's F10 M5 which also includes the Noelle DPs.

Sorry if I missed a prior post but has it been dynode? Until there are more head to head comparisons with BMS and other catless and/or catted DPs from other vendors we won't know for sure but seems like it should be quicker. Maybe you can call someone at Dinan to see if they would disclose some more info on their car's performance numbers.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #32
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post

Your car setup seems ideal. In fact from what I'm to understand from a power performance standpoint it is identical to Steve Dinan's F10 M5 which also includes the Noelle DPs.

Sorry if I missed a prior post but has it been dynode? Until there are more head to head comparisons with BMS and other catless and/or catted DPs from other vendors we won't know for sure but seems like it should be quicker. Maybe you can call someone at Dinan to see if they would disclose some more info on their car's performance numbers.
I am waiting on the dyno to get fixed, then I will post the numbers I get.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #33
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post

I've seen a stock M6 make more power on the dyno then a M6 with GT Haus catless exhaust system.
I am skeptic that no catless system can produce more power without a proper ecu tune then a stock car.
Appreciate 0