M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #23
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5TXGuy View Post
Well, I'll just have fun until it blows up. It's only money, right? I'll likely lose way more money when we get the next stock market crash.
Well, you can have a little less fun without blowing up the car since this car have a lot power and torque...
And what about if it happens while you are driving at over 100 mph (more or less) in freeway??
You know with ignition off you have no brake right?
what about if DCT breaks down at that speed since it's not designed for that much power/torque???
There are so many things related to this issue...
Why is there no brakes with ignition off?

By design and legal requirements there needs to be a direct purely hydraulic or mechanical connection from the brake pedal to the brake calipers. Turning off the ignition makes no difference to this part of the brake system. However with engine off you will usually loose the brake boost assist. This has no other adverse effect than making the brake pedal very hard to depress and you really need to step on it to make the car stop. There is also a requirement on a boost reserve in case of a engine failure/stop. You should normally be able to do 2-3 brake manouvres with no engine and still have brake boost assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

By design and legal requirements there needs to be a direct purely hydraulic or mechanical connection from the brake pedal to the brake calipers. Turning off the ignition makes no difference to this part of the brake system. However with engine off you will usually loose the brake boost assist. This has no other adverse effect than making the brake pedal very hard to depress and you really need to step on it to make the car stop. There is also a requirement on a boost reserve in case of a engine failure/stop. You should normally be able to do 2-3 brake manouvres with no engine and still have brake boost assist.
Boss I think again you were sleepy when you read my quote and wrote yours
Read my quote again and get my point please
Consider the situation I was talking about as well
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #25
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Boss I think again you were sleepy when you read my quote and wrote yours
Read my quote again and get my point please
Consider the situation I was talking about as well
What am I missing?

Doesn't matter if the ignition is off or DCT breaks up. You still have brakes on the car...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What am I missing?

Doesn't matter if the ignition is off or DCT breaks up. You still have brakes on the car...
You might have a small portion of that high performance braking system (that can stop the car from 60-0 in about 100 ft in couple seconds) to stop the car if it's running at 30 mph in a wide area!!! The condition I was talking about (which is not unreal) was 100 mph at freeway!
The point I was trying to make was that if something happens to engine or DCT or other mechanical parts due to improper tuning, then you are not able to control and stop the care safely!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #27
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What am I missing?

You might have a small portion of that high performance braking system (that can stop the car from 60-0 in about 100 ft in couple seconds) to stop the car if it's running at 30 mph in a wide area!!! The condition I was talking about (which is not unreal) was 100 mph at freeway!
The point I was trying to make was that if something happens to engine or DCT or other mechanical parts due to improper tuning, then you are not able to control and stop the care safely!
A cars brake system is designed so that in the case of a engine failure etc, you still have a brake boost reserve to enable you to be able to stop the car in the same way as if the engine is running. That reserve is usually allows 2-3 brake manouvres before you loose the boost and the pedal becomes unboosted and requires a much higher force to depress.

The engine can fail or shut off due to a number of reasons unrelated to tuning. The brake system is designed to allow emergency braking when the engine doesn't run. You can try this boost reserve very easily. Stop the engine (preferrably while parked ) and depress the brake pedal. You can depress the pedal 2-3 times before it becomes rock hard. Same happens when driving. Even when the pedal is unboosted (after those 2-3 times) you still have the same brake system on each wheel, but you really need to step on the pedal to create the same fluid pressure in the hydraulic system because the pedal isn't boosted anymore.

This is a legal requirement in brake design.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:

This is a legal requirement in brake design.
Phew! I can remove the manual quick release parachute now.
      08-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5TXGuy View Post
Phew! I can remove the manual quick release parachute now.
lol.. No don't listen to him! keep the manual quick release parachute in case if the boost system blows up as well! ....
You never know!!! maybe every thing blow up including hydraulic or mechanical parts of brakes booster !!
Boss is talking about engine's malfunction. That's different story
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #30
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
lol.. No don't listen to him! keep the manual quick release parachute in case if the boost system blows up as well! ....
You never know!!! maybe every thing blow up including hydraulic or mechanical parts of brakes booster !!
Boss is talking about engine's malfunction. That's different story
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #31
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

Not much info on these tuners, but sounds absolutely interesting, I've read only good reviews online about them, would like to hear more reviews.
      08-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #32
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

Seems like they're full of it, seen them race against e63 renntech