M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
SSR
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

M5 KW Sleeve kit question

Im installing the KW sleeve kit to my 2012 M5 and The OEM bar end links are too long to connect anyone knows what to do here ?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Im installing the KW sleeve kit to my 2012 M5 and The OEM bar end links are too long to connect anyone knows what to do here ?
I don't have the KW kit but I assume the sleeve has the same placement as stock for the sway bar link tab. When I installed the CP sway bars in my 2013 M5 I found that when I tightened the mounting bolts fully it rotated the sway bar so that the link was about 3/4" to 1" too long to be able to push the attaching bolt through the link and the bar. I believe it does this because the stock sway bars are bonded to the rubber mounting bushings, and when they are tightened it rotates the bar to that position. My solution was to attach the sway bar to the link before I fully tightened the mounting bolts. When tightened there is a slight preload of the sway bar because of the bonded position...perhaps BMW wants this for some reason?

I assume you didn't loosen the sway bar in its mounts when you removed the shock to add the KW kit, and now when you're reinstalling the shock, the bar is rotated up just that amount?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
SSR
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Thanks for the info I will make the OEM links adjustable to get the proper lenght and to eliminate bar preload...
Appreciate 0