M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Elliotdds
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

New Member - Special Thanks to Nate at iND!

Hey - I just wanted to introduce myself to this board.

I picked up my 2013 m5 from Laurel, in suburban Chicago, a couple of weeks ago.

My previous BMW's included, 2 e36 m3's, then went on to a e46 m3, then my first of 2 e39 m5's. I really should have never let the last one go. It was a 2002 - I still yearn every time I see one on the road. I then traded that in for a Merc e55 - fantastic straight line speed - but it was just not me. The e55 left for an e60 m5. In 2011, that was traded for a fantastic e90 m3. That was a great car! The engine was sublime, I had the BMW performance exhaust so it sounded great - at least to me!

But, it was now time for another switch.

The new one is a 2013 m5 in Singapore Grey with black leather. The only option it doesn't have is the extended leather.

I probably would not have ordered the night vision, but it was on the car they had, so what the hell. I have just passed 150 miles, so I can't really comment too much on some aspects. While others I can.

I have to first mention - I know many will mention - I NEED PICS - lol - completely agree - but this is where Nate at iND comes into play.

I left their shop this morning after having the new RKP lip placed - that is my car in his latest photos. I also had the front markers replaced with body color ones. The side gills are now black, and the rear spoiler was replaced with the BMW performance spoiler for the f10. The front grills are now black as well.

The car was completely transformed by these subtle changes! I think it looks amazing. Nate and the guys at iND were BEYOND fantastic, & I must thank this board for letting me know that they existed. I am simply lucky that they are close to me. The shop is beautiful, clean, and everything was very professional. I was so impressed, that I placed an order for the Akrapovic carbon tipped exhaust while I was there. Again, I can't say enough positive things about those guys! The depth of knowledge they have about the car & all the products were very impressive! Thanks for such a great morning Nate!

The weather since I picked up the car hasn't been the best - so I have been driving my 530i with snows on it. I wanted to wait & take some pics, but for those in the area, know the wind is blowing hard today - & its much colder than it looks!

I know the folks at iND took a bunch of photos - that I'm sure will be much better than any of the ones I could ever take with my iPhone! Hopefully he can post some of the rear spoiler - I still have a bit of tape on it - due to the cold temps here today. When I arrived there it was 16f.

My initial impressions of the car - well it's the nicest car I have ever owned by far. The combination of luxury & tech is perfect. Yes, its much heavier than my e90 m3, which had the Comp package, thus it is not anywhere as nimble as that car - which I will always love, but the additional room is just what I was looking for. I think the engine in that m3 was one of the best ones BMW has made, you just had to be in the right rpm range for the power.

My initial dislikes - I have a tough time reading the HUD with polarized sunglasses - first world problem. The sound was amazing in my e60 with the Dinan exhaust, as well in the e90 with the performance exhaust. I know I haven't given this car enough time to really know exactly what the stock exhaust will sound like above 4500rpm - but still the Akrapovic is coming! My m3 had the high beam assistant, this does not. Minor quibbles I know, but seems odd not to have it, even though it is shown in the user manual.

I did watch the video of the night vision system tracking animals - really hoping that BMW will be offering some software update to allow the cars with this system to do that. That I would really find to be useful & practical!

I am probably going to be having the door chrome painted body color, during the exhaust install - I think that will complete the look.

I somehow managed to see the white unicorn today. I turned the car on, & the M screen showed on the nav!!!! I am certain I shall never see it again, but it was pretty cool!

I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster - but I would like to thank everyone on here who contributes. You made my decision much easier & have provided me so much useful & great information!

I should be getting the exhaust installed within the next few weeks - so I'll let you guys know what that is like! The chrome accents were really not to my taste, so if you are on the fence - JUST DO IT! The car really looks SO much better without it! The guys at iND will have my business for some time! - oh - thanks to you guys they also removed my charcoal filters - no snorkel for me - just metal block out plates!

I feel I have rambled enough - but thanks again to everyone, this board is great!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Photo of your new Beast! Gloss black front Night Vision grilles and RKP front lip Nice meeting you.

More photos coming soon......
      03-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Congrats on the new M! Is the exterior Azurite? That exhaust will be the final touch on a fantastically balanced car. I love this thing
      03-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Aboody99
Private
Qatar
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Beautiful
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Elliotdds
Private
Rep

Thanks Rob!!!

It is actually Singapore Grey. When I picked it up it looked metallic grey

In other light it, to me, sometimes it looks bluish or black?

Sometimes with a hint of green?

But , anyway, I LOVE the color. I REALLY love the car!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

I'm starting to really love the singapore grey on the F10, so many different colors depending on the lighting. The IND parts sets it off nicely! Looks great!

Any more mods planned?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Elliotdds
Private
Rep

Thanks Zlaatan - the guys at iND have really got me all excited about the mod thing!

Yes - I will be getting the door handle chrome painted body color - will be doing this at the time of the exhaust install. Perhaps the dark chrome m5 badge?

I think once the carbon spoiler is shown, it really brings the entire package together. I have been contemplating the GruppeM intake - I am not one to sit & crunch numbers. So, if it makes 1 or 50 hp, that's not my interest. I have heard it really changes the intake noise. On the fence on this one........
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Can we see more pics of the front lip. It looks very interesting.
      03-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I'm surprised Nate hasn't already sent you to http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812857

More pictures there to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Congrats! The lip looks AWESOME!
      03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here but in my opinion, it just doesn't cut it. The body color is beautiful but with the dark grills, viewer's eyes now wanders from the roundel BMW, to one headlight then to the other. In my opinion a lighter colored border grill such as the original (chrome it might be, I know most are chrome haters, for 1 reason or another), the viewer's eyes are just placed in the center and peripheral vision just completes the entire car front view. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 SG/SO

Beautiful car, Elliot. Im also a Chicago native and have been going to IND for years. Where in Chicago do you live? I also have a Singapore Grey but mine has sakhir orange interior, the car is fantastic. I also went with the Eisenmann exhaust since I've had that exhaust on my last two M5's. Good luck, and you have an impressive history of cars. Good taste indeed.

Oh, and to add...I can't see the HUD at all with my polarized sunglasses. At first I freaked out and though my HUD was broken lol
      03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
yiango13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 F30 328xi

Hey Elliot. Love the new lip. I from Indiana and taking my M5 to ind on Friday to get the RKP lip. I will be leaving my car there for a week. I have a gruppe m intake and eisenmann race exhaust. Maybe Nate can let you hear it. You can really hear the turbos. I love it.
      03-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Congrats on the new Beast! One of the best M-colors, IMHO!
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Congrats on the new Purchase!! Don't know if you remember me, but I'm a colleague who sold you some e90 parts some time ago. I'm right behind you as I have one on order. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Elliotdds
Private
Rep

Hi DrKev - yes I do remember you! The e90 was really a beautiful car. The engine was fantastic - the handling was super as well! However, I must say, as I've gotten a bit older, I really appreciate the things like ventilated seats, a bit more luxury, if you know what I mean.

Whenever I see an m3 on the road, no matter what model or year, I will always think, gosh that really was a great car! I hope you love the m5 as much as I am mine! It is a bit heavy & not quite as nimble on it's feet - but the torque & power are so damn addicting!

Sharpie - I am out in the western burbs - I am about an hour south of the guys at iND.

Matt - I really can see where you are coming from. The picture posted in some ways is misleading - the headlight assemblies sem to "pop" more in this pic than in real life. It was the damn side vents in chrome that I really disliked. Once those were gone, the fronts seemed an obvious choice for me. Perhaps if they had gone with a dark shadow chrome - like they did for the UK performance editions - that probably would have made everyone happy!

I just always always saw the side gills & wondered how the designer of that is related to the one who designed the new side gill on the Ford Taurus! Please - NO OFFENSE to Taurus owners!!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys - like I said before GREAT BOARD!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
PJFLA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

[QUOTE=Used2be]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I'm surprised Nate hasn't already sent you to http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812857

Im not.... not at all....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFLA View Post
Im not.... not at all....
Nate's always been very helpful and responsive to me and others when we've posted questions about product that IND carries. I'm sure he would be for you as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

New photos of "Elliotdds" Singapore Beast

Mods-
Gloss black front and side grilles (with Night Vision)
Singapore Grey front reflectors
Akrapovic EVO with carbon tips
RKP 2x2 carbon front lip
BMW Performance spoiler 2x2 carbon

03-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Elliotdds
Private
Rep

HOLY CRA*

Nate those pictures are simply amazing!!!! They are a true testament to the work you guys do at iND.

I found myself driving home today - initially enjoying MOG - but found myself muting the radio, just to listen to the various exhaust noises. I am SO in love with that exhaust!!!!!

I don't want to sound like a kiss ass. I know I probably do. I realize there are people on this board who have a much much deeper pockets than I. I am a simple working dentist.

This car is a big step up for me. It is a big purchase for me. I had to place a lot of trust in someone for me to shell out a few clams to make it a bit more me. I think this is one of the things that separate the M enthusiasts from others. We are not better, just extremely passionate about our cars.

If money were no issue, I'd love to have another car with the Eisenmann Race, along with other things. But, I need a car to rely on daily.

This M5 is not my e90 M3. It has a completely different feel. However, I don't love it any less. It is different. It will take time to learn the nuances of this car. The e90 M3 was simply an extension of my mind. I feel the f10 will take some time to become comfortable with. However long it takes, i know it will come. But the trust & faith I have developed with iND, will help speed up this process. They were instrumental in helping me choose the proper exhaust, for me, for this car.

I know there is more for me to accomplish with this car, certainly in terms of mods.

I am so grateful for the members of this board & the people at iND for helping me take my car to the next level. Now I am looking forward to the NEXT level!

Upcoming ideas - I want to firm the suspension while retaining the factory EDC.

I am having tint & clear bra applied during the first week of April - also recommendations from the guys at iND!

I will have my V1 hardwired at the 1200 mile service - & really hoping BMW will come up with a PPK for this car!

Thanks so much for everyone here - I am still smiling at the sound of my Akrapovic upshift at a lowly 4200rpm!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
Ahmed
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG

Garage List
1999 BMW M5  [1.00]
Yummy!

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #22