12-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #45
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW....yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
A lot of people seem to have a backwards mentality when it comes to cars. I fully agree that the sound of the V10 was amazing, with a proper exhaust it was even more amazing. I think in this video she is focusing far too much on the negatives...

This is not a car that is built as a pure race car... it is built to be an extremely good family cruiser and a decent track machine if one wants it to be. It is no way a track car because it is extremely heavy and far too large to really be one. With that being said; I think she is scared of this car and doesn't have the skill to drive it as well as the last... I think the 150 lb-ft of TQ maybe doing it.

The old high revving V10 was nice but it was in no way a proper fit for the M5, while quick, the car did not and will not have the wow factor of thrust when the pedal is floored when compared to the new twin turbo 8. In addition; the fuel economy of the old one was absolutely abysmal... In other words you are gaining far too much here and losing very little. You can improve sound a little by fitting a proper exhaust but if you go take this car for a drive and later hop in an E60; you will be more than disappointed especially given the amazing gear box this car has. This was a review for Tiff and Vicky messed up... having driven the old V10 a few times in many situations and having driven a tuned 335i for the last couple of years; the M5 was way overrated minus the sound, this one certainly fixes that.

BMW=
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #46
sashcraft09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
Like the mini skirt
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #47
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
A lot of people seem to have a backwards mentality when it comes to cars. I fully agree that the sound of the V10 was amazing, with a proper exhaust it was even more amazing. I think in this video she is focusing far too much on the negatives...

This is not a car that is built as a pure race car... it is built to be an extremely good family cruiser and a decent track machine if one wants it to be. It is no way a track car because it is extremely heavy and far too large to really be one. With that being said; I think she is scared of this car and doesn't have the skill to drive it as well as the last... I think the 150 lb-ft of TQ maybe doing it.

The old high revving V10 was nice but it was in no way a proper fit for the M5, while quick, the car did not and will not have the wow factor of thrust when the pedal is floored when compared to the new twin turbo 8. In addition; the fuel economy of the old one was absolutely abysmal... In other words you are gaining far too much here and losing very little. You can improve sound a little by fitting a proper exhaust but if you go take this car for a drive and later hop in an E60; you will be more than disappointed especially given the amazing gear box this car has. This was a review for Tiff and Vicky messed up... having driven the old V10 a few times in many situations and having driven a tuned 335i for the last couple of years; the M5 was way overrated minus the sound, this one certainly fixes that.
Don't get me wrong, I like ya man and you say some intelligent things but you are so caught up in the 335 tuned being absolutely a few steps above anything else when driving. Its fine to feel that way but based on your posts, you typically are more objective about other things.

A 335 with 600 whp still will not be the experience of driving an m5, especially the e60 M5. I would not say it was the wrong engine for the car at all. Rather you had to have the right driver and the person had to have the right need for the car. I am sure you have watched youtube videos but the thing powers over ferrari's, porsche and lambo's. Its hardly unimpressive.

Its an M car of the past so naturally it is lacking down low and if that is something people hated than they bought the wrong car.

I go back to the overall experience. Your tuned 335 is faster than any production bmw-I got it. However 90 percent of folks do not track and even less drag race, so spirited city/country driving really does not require the excess power in return for no other divine qualities v. the m3/m5 offer good power with a ton of other little things that make driving at the speed limit just as much of an experience as pushing the car to the limit (almost!).

Honestly you cannot tell me driving around in a 335 in normal daily driving which is 90 percent of most peoples drive time, offers any type of special experience or feeling?

If you want pure speed than by a tuned 335.

If you want an engineering marvel and a absolutely one of a kind experience on a daily basis you would buy the e60 m5 when it was on sale.

The new m5 surely is a great car, again 90 percent of buyers will not give a rats ass about the sound or anything. Many buy it for the badge, others just for a large saloon with a ton of power. It is the smaller enthusiast segment that will really miss the more traditional m-characteristics.

M has never been about straight up power, never. The e46 is wayyyy slower than a stock 335 yet if you have driven one, its still a much more satisifyin experience if you are not drag racing. The m's are not satisfying in a drag race, I will give you that. You sound like your all about drag racing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #48
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW....yet

forgive me but im hearing alot of the new M5 has no soul because of the engine. buying the the new M5 for the badge? you make it sound like the new car is junk because of no V-10, thats more shallow to me then someone liking the new M5 for the HP. the new car is better in every way and if not having a V-10 is the only thing you have against the F10 then i'd say the F10 wins hands down.

BMW=
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #49
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like ya man and you say some intelligent things but you are so caught up in the 335 tuned being absolutely a few steps above anything else when driving. Its fine to feel that way but based on your posts, you typically are more objective about other things.

A 335 with 600 whp still will not be the experience of driving an m5, especially the e60 M5. I would not say it was the wrong engine for the car at all. Rather you had to have the right driver and the person had to have the right need for the car. I am sure you have watched youtube videos but the thing powers over ferrari's, porsche and lambo's. Its hardly unimpressive.

Its an M car of the past so naturally it is lacking down low and if that is something people hated than they bought the wrong car.

I go back to the overall experience. Your tuned 335 is faster than any production bmw-I got it. However 90 percent of folks do not track and even less drag race, so spirited city/country driving really does not require the excess power in return for no other divine qualities v. the m3/m5 offer good power with a ton of other little things that make driving at the speed limit just as much of an experience as pushing the car to the limit (almost!).

Honestly you cannot tell me driving around in a 335 in normal daily driving which is 90 percent of most peoples drive time, offers any type of special experience or feeling?

If you want an engineering marvel and a absolutely one of a kind experience on a daily basis you would buy the e60 m5 when it was on sale.

The new m5 surely is a great car, again 90 percent of buyers will not give a rats ass about the sound or anything. Many buy it for the badge, others just for a large saloon with a ton of power. It is the smaller enthusiast segment that will really miss the more traditional m-characteristics.

M has never been about straight up power, never. The e46 is wayyyy slower than a stock 335 yet if you have driven one, its still a much more satisifyin experience if you are not drag racing. The m's are not satisfying in a drag race, I will give you that. You sound like your all about drag racing.
You fail to understand the main advantage of a turbo car... the fantastic ability of it to have TQ down low. There is close to nothing that is as important as that for a car that is used as a daily driver. While the NA M engines are excellent; the S85 tended to make the car feel very very heavy unless you revved it to 8K and past. So if anything... the disadvantage to that for a car such as this which is supposed to be a dual mix of street ability and track performance this was missing. A heavy car (especially one that weighs 4000 LBS + needs to have TQ to make it fun and make it feel lighter on its feet). I think BMW and Mercedes both realized this and used to this to their advantage with the added fuel economy that these new engines will provide. You are only helping me prove my point that not everyone buys this car for racing because that is where the turbos come in with the TQ, that particular quality allows the car to pass in street traffic with ease as well as give it instantaneous thrust instead of having to revv the engine around the streets to sky high redlines.

I am curious as to what Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini the old M5 car whips up on? Yes, most of those cars have remained NA but they are also all far, far lighter and they are no ones daily driver; this is the other car in those people's garages. In addition those engines cost a fortune to make which is why they are reserved solely for exotics. The "better" porches including the GT2 RS (the greatest porsche ever) and the 911 Turbo and Turbo S models which are their best street cars ever are in fact turbo and performance wise (trump any of the others).

I fail to see what it is that you keep on arguing about; about 90% of the time you are helping me prove my point.
      12-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Very well said. The e60 m5 was a very special car indeed. To really enjoy it you had to rip it, which was fine by me. I rented one of these for a weekend because my friend was getting deployed and it was his dream car. This engine was amazing and loved to be in the top of the rev range. Many people complained about smg but I actually was enthralled with its neck snapping shifts in s6, I didn't experience the clunking, but that's because I never wasted a moment of that cars sound shifting down low. I realize how impractical that sounds in a seemingly practical car, but that is the beauty of the e60m5.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #51
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:

Completely wrong in my opinion.

1) driving an M car for few times is not like owning one. When you own it, you willfeel different

2) can you tell me what is the different between M5 and 550i then?

3) do you really think she didn't know how to drive this car? Really? Lol

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #52
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Thats comparing apples to oranges; ts not a race car, like the GTS, neither does it cost as much. Its all relative and she missed the boat! I am ok saying it didn't sound as great as my e60(M5) but its 85% there.. a trade off we will all be ok with.
Watch the previous M5 or regular M3 review and you will see it too.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #53
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You fail to understand the main advantage of a turbo car... the fantastic ability of it to have TQ down low. There is close to nothing that is as important as that for a car that is used as a daily driver. While the NA M engines are excellent; the S85 tended to make the car feel very very heavy unless you revved it to 8K and past. So if anything... the disadvantage to that for a car such as this which is supposed to be a dual mix of street ability and track performance this was missing. A heavy car (especially one that weighs 4000 LBS + needs to have TQ to make it fun and make it feel lighter on its feet). I think BMW and Mercedes both realized this and used to this to their advantage with the added fuel economy that these new engines will provide. You are only helping me prove my point that not everyone buys this car for racing because that is where the turbos come in with the TQ, that particular quality allows the car to pass in street traffic with ease as well as give it instantaneous thrust instead of having to revv the engine around the streets to sky high redlines.

I am curious as to what Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini the old M5 car whips up on? Yes, most of those cars have remained NA but they are also all far, far lighter and they are no ones daily driver; this is the other car in those people's garages. In addition those engines cost a fortune to make which is why they are reserved solely for exotics. The "better" porches including the GT2 RS (the greatest porsche ever) and the 911 Turbo and Turbo S models which are their best street cars ever are in fact turbo and performance wise (trump any of the others).

I fail to see what it is that you keep on arguing about; about 90% of the time you are helping me prove my point.
You act as though an s65/85 equipped car has nothing down low, it's still plenty to get around and pass someone, if you want the extra power then you shift, something that people who love to drive often love to do. I wouldn't say instantaneous thrust is happening either when you're dealing with turbo lag, I'll bet you can shift into a lower gear in a na car and hit power just as fast as a turbo car spools up.

I am all for the efficiency of turbo cars, but for someone who drives hard a turbo car is going to take just as much/more gas. My 335 actually averaged 1mpg lower than my m3.

Btw here's a couple videos you asked for:

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #54
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Completely wrong in my opinion.

1) driving an M car for few times is not like owning one. When you own it, you willfeel different

Day to day experience with an E46 M3 for about a year counts in my opinion.

2) can you tell me what is the different between M5 and 550i then?

Different suspension, different differential, different transmission, different turbos, different looks, different power and TQ output... Trust me I wouldn't buy the M5 given such a much higher price over a 550i; when for me for daily driver capabilities a 550i are more than enough... if it's too slow; I'll tune it, that's the beauty of a turbo motor. I don't need the active diff or race bits unless I am racing which I don't.

3) do you really think she didn't know how to drive this car? Really? Lol
Show me more videos where she drives a car with that much TQ and weight... it is much different and much more difficult than say an E90 M3, especially when the power band is so much different and she probably wasn't used to it.
      12-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #55
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
You act as though an s65/85 equipped car has nothing down low, it's still plenty to get around and pass someone, if you want the extra power then you shift, something that people who love to drive often love to do. I wouldn't say instantaneous thrust is happening either when you're dealing with turbo lag, I'll bet you can shift into a lower gear in a na car and hit power just as fast as a turbo car spools up.

I am all for the efficiency of turbo cars, but for someone who drives hard a turbo car is going to take just as much/more gas. My 335 actually averaged 1mpg lower than my m3.

Btw here's a couple videos you asked for:

Just so you are aware; those 2 Gallardos are the very early production models which happen to be the slowest ones they made. Would you like to see this race again with the new M5 which traps over 122 MPH in the 1/4?

It's funny that all of these arguments are coming from the NA M3 boys; coincidence? I don't think so. Enjoy your last high revving NA motor because come next year and 2013 you will be losing in every race including the daily driver race.
      12-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #56
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:

You seem to be stuck on the need for a crap ton of low end torque for regular or spirited city driving which is not the case in 90 percent of the cases. The m5 has more torque than a 335 throughout the band and peaks at 360 foot pounds or something. That is hardly too little torque to drive around the city.

You seem to also think that low end torque makes the car special and a perfect driver. Clearly its evident you have not owned an M-everyone who makes the switch says the same thing as you and then finally "gets it" when they buy the M. My point, which you seem to keep missing, is that there is more than low end grunt and power in general to driving an M and it feeling special.

Daily driving around I probably would suffice with 200hp car, and if it had all the qualities of the M's I enjoy than it would still be more special than a 335. A 335 is a totally uninvolved plain experience unless you stomp the pedal. The M's is an amazing, enthralling experiencing just coasting along barely touching the pedal. Clearly you will not get this until you own an M.

A 335 is so boring when driving unless you are racing it or dragging it or stomping it to the max. its also clear you have not had much experience in the M's because the powerband is designed differently. It is not dropping to 2k-3k rpms every shift like the 335, the m3 and e60 m5 stay high in the band with each upshift, so unless you are starting from a dead stop, you never are even in the low rpms so having no low end grunt is meaningless and you don't miss it. It also takes about 1/2 a second at the most to be from 0 rpms to 6k so its just not a factor.

Clearly you think low end torque is what makes a driving experience amazing. All the M owners know otherwise and it is atleast 20 other qualities of a daily drive in an M car that make a "complete" experience. 420 hp in the m3 is only one of the 20 things, whereas the 335 has 1 thing that gives an experience and 1 thing only-low end tug.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #57
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just so you are aware; those 2 Gallardos are the very early production models which happen to be the slowest ones they made. Would you like to see this race again with the new M5 which traps over 122 MPH in the 1/4?
Who cares!? It's a lambo with more hp and significantly less weight against a 4 door sedan!! And it depends on where the race starts/ends, the f10 m5 definitely starts to slow down at high speeds where the e60 shines.

You live your life a 1/4 mile at a time, don't you?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #58
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
[B]

Show me more videos where she drives a car with that much TQ and weight... it is much different and much more difficult than say an E90 M3, especially when the power band is so much different and she probably wasn't used to it.
The beauty of turbo engines are going into limp mode on tracks lol like this:http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623071

I asked you if you know the different between 550i and M5 because you said M5 is not a track car in your original post.

Plus who cares about MPG when you buy an M car!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #59
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You seem to be stuck on the need for a crap ton of low end torque for regular or spirited city driving which is not the case in 90 percent of the cases. The m5 has more torque than a 335 throughout the band and peaks at 360 foot pounds or something. That is hardly too little torque to drive around the city.

You seem to also think that low end torque makes the car special and a perfect driver. Clearly its evident you have not owned an M-everyone who makes the switch says the same thing as you and then finally "gets it" when they buy the M. My point, which you seem to keep missing, is that there is more than low end grunt and power in general to driving an M and it feeling special.

Daily driving around I probably would suffice with 200hp car, and if it had all the qualities of the M's I enjoy than it would still be more special than a 335. A 335 is a totally uninvolved plain experience unless you stomp the pedal. The M's is an amazing, enthralling experiencing just coasting along barely touching the pedal. Clearly you will not get this until you own an M.

A 335 is so boring when driving unless you are racing it or dragging it or stomping it to the max. its also clear you have not had much experience in the M's because the powerband is designed differently. It is not dropping to 2k-3k rpms every shift like the 335, the m3 and e60 m5 stay high in the band with each upshift, so unless you are starting from a dead stop, you never are even in the low rpms so having no low end grunt is meaningless and you don't miss it. It also takes about 1/2 a second at the most to be from 0 rpms to 6k so its just not a factor.

Clearly you think low end torque is what makes a driving experience amazing. All the M owners know otherwise and it is atleast 20 other qualities of a daily drive in an M car that make a "complete" experience. 420 hp in the m3 is only one of the 20 things, whereas the 335 has 1 thing that gives an experience and 1 thing only-low end tug.
I think you confused like 3 different things in those paragraphs; so I don't see a point... I'll just let it go; enjoy your amazing M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Who cares!? It's a lambo with more hp and significantly less weight against a 4 door sedan!! And it depends on where the race starts/ends, the f10 m5 definitely starts to slow down at high speeds where the e60 shines.

You live your life a 1/4 mile at a time, don't you?
Been down the track once in my life and that's what I have been saying over and over again.
      12-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #60
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:

It's funny that all of these arguments are coming from the NA M3 boys; coincidence? I don't think so. Enjoy your last high revving NA motor because come next year and 2013 you will be losing in every race including the daily driver race.
Clearly you will find an excuse for anything anyone says that is not praising the 335's low end torque.

Look at the youtube m5board race of the m3 v. the 335 stock and stage 1 tuned 335 and it absolutely destroys the thing with "no low end"

You also never seem to explain why the m3 has a much faster 0-60 and quarter mile time than the 335 with a reasonable tune. How many 335's hit the quarter in 12.5 and 0-60 in 3.9 seconds? One with alot of bolt ons and relatively aggressive tune I am sure but if the m3 has "no low end" than what possible other test is a better measure of both low end and top end than a 0-60 and quarter? which it is stll much faster. I just do not get your points when there is so much objective evidence that you are not correct.

So keep it simple. If the 335 and its low end torque is all that makes it fast, especially at city speeds, than why can a bone stock me do 0-60 in 3.9-4 seconds and a quarter in 12.5 even though it has nothing down low?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #61
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
The beauty of turbo engines are going into limp mode on tracks lol like this:http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623071

I asked you if you know the different between 550i and M5 because you said M5 is not a track car in your original post.

Plus who cares about MPG when you buy an M car!
Your helping me prove my point... the M5 is not a track car as evidenced by the limp modes. Neither was the E60 and if you refer back to the original Clarkson review on the track; he blows the rear diff almost instantly (and said it was incredibly gentle and had to be towed off).
      12-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #62
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quest I also think you are a bit delusional about the "regular" 335's since you must have forgotten what its like to not have 800 hp Never really looked at your mod list-sounds like quite a monster engine! I think you may be a bit out of touch with what a basic 335 with a simple tune feels like! Great engine though-never heard of a stroker for the n54-cool stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #63
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Your helping me prove my point... the M5 is not a track car as evidenced by the limp modes. Neither was the E60 and if you refer back to the original Clarkson review on the track; he blows the rear diff almost instantly (and said it was incredibly gentle and had to be towed off).
Well the new m5 does the ring and every track its tested faster than the m3 and many others, so although not a track car, it certainly tracks as well as many other track cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #64
Karthy
KaRtHy
Thailand
Rep
Drives: G30 520d M Sport

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlvrt View Post
Nice car and I hope they sell well. On an unrelated note, I have never understood why car reviews only drive the car sideways around the track. Yeah, it's a lot of fun, but how is the car balanced at the limit?
Super agree...

This is fifth gear. They always do this to judge the car
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #65
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Clearly you will find an excuse for anything anyone says that is not praising the 335's low end torque.

Nope; there is also a Nissan GTR, 911 Turbo, Corvette Z06 and Dodge Viper ACR; all of which are 10x better track cars and have far more torque. lol

Look at the youtube m5board race of the m3 v. the 335 stock and stage 1 tuned 335 and it absolutely destroys the thing with "no low end"

I can you show you 100 videos of 335s beating M3's look around on youtube.

You also never seem to explain why the m3 has a much faster 0-60 and quarter mile time than the 335 with a reasonable tune. How many 335's hit the quarter in 12.5 and 0-60 in 3.9 seconds? One with alot of bolt ons and relatively aggressive tune I am sure but if the m3 has "no low end" than what possible other test is a better measure of both low end and top end than a 0-60 and quarter? which it is stll much faster. I just do not get your points when there is so much objective evidence that you are not correct.

Go to dragtimes.com and you may be surprised to see that there is over 100 and that is only of the people that chose to post. lol

So keep it simple. If the 335 and its low end torque is all that makes it fast, especially at city speeds, than why can a bone stock me do 0-60 in 3.9-4 seconds and a quarter in 12.5 even though it has nothing down low?
You don't understand how acceleration works... You also don't understand which power band is used where which is why I am dropping this. The E90/E92 M3 and E60 M5 are the greatest cars ever built!
      12-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #66
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quest I also think you are a bit delusional about the "regular" 335's since you must have forgotten what its like to not have 800 hp Never really looked at your mod list-sounds like quite a monster engine! I think you may be a bit out of touch with what a basic 335 with a simple tune feels like! Great engine though-never heard of a stroker for the n54-cool stuff
It's a joke.