M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #45
lunden
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13 800RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
This was a semi-conservative Stage II tune with downpipes - with no added ignition timing advance whatsoever. We were also pretty conservative with the torque limiter above 6K RPM, which can be easily raised. I prefer bigger turbos when we do this, as the stock turbos are reaching their threshold. There is, without a doubt, more power on the table here. Also keep in mind that these cars become heatsoaked pretty quickly when sitting stationary on a dyno, so actual HP output on the street is likely higher. It's by no means being pushed, so if the OP wants more power/torque, this isn't an issue. Nice runs and enjoy the car in good health.
I would like to see how the torque limiter is, pretty sure it reminds of BR lol.. I've seen so many files now, they all have the same pattern. Every single of them! I got files from every big company that states custom etc etc, they are shit and I totally see how the clutches of customers are slipping bad.
Send me a PM with how it looks
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #46
lunden
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13 800RR

Quote:
This is not true and not the way it works.

Please do not spread misinformation if you don't have first hand experience working with MEVD17xx control units.

I have serial EEPROM backups of the OPs DMEs which will put any counters back to exactly what they were before flashing.

The dealers do not see flash counters and they don't void warranties just on the basis of a flash counter being different. Flashing a stock update would increment these counters and validates this point alone.

We back up each ECU first and then the ECU can be flashed via OBD hundreds of times. If the backup is restored, those hundred flashes never happened.
If they use time, they will void it.
There is different counters You should know about them as a tuner. It's possible to see how when etc.. I can show you if you want
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #47
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunden
Quote:
This is not true and not the way it works.

Please do not spread misinformation if you don't have first hand experience working with MEVD17xx control units.

I have serial EEPROM backups of the OPs DMEs which will put any counters back to exactly what they were before flashing.

The dealers do not see flash counters and they don't void warranties just on the basis of a flash counter being different. Flashing a stock update would increment these counters and validates this point alone.

We back up each ECU first and then the ECU can be flashed via OBD hundreds of times. If the backup is restored, those hundred flashes never happened.
If they use time, they will void it.
There is different counters You should know about them as a tuner. It's possible to see how when etc.. I can show you if you want
You're referring to the UIF, which is different. That is what the dealer can see and this is not incremented with our flashing system. But thanks for your input.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #48
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido Brown
Mike, same question. I live in Vegas, where are you in SoCal? Another question I have is, if you were tune my car and the dealer ended up flashing it back to stock, do I need to come back to you to flash it again or is there something that can be done that I don't need to drive back out to you? And what gains can be expected from a stage one tune on a non comp car?
In most cases the dealer doesn't overwrite the boot loader (unless there is an update to it) so the car would be reflashable over OBD. Otherwise we would need the ECUs again.

Gains on a non comp pack car are pretty substantial, have a look at our site for dynos. Gains can be upwards of 100 hp and torque depending on conditions and fuel.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #49
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Is it possible to dyno tune a stage 1 flash on stock M5 to extract a little more power? From my research the main difference between stage 1 and 2 is the downpipe. Whats the increased risk to the stock dp? blowing out the cats? damaging turbos?

I just dont know if I can put up with the smell and wastegate rattles with a catless dp....but the quest for power is inherent in everyone here....lol

I believe combatbmw has the rattling wastegate issue (cant remember which post) but he has a higher tolerance for it than I would.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #50
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Cat can overheat and melt in extreme cases... so I've heard.

To get more power you have to give something up (sound, reliability, gas mileage, etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #51
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator
Is it possible to dyno tune a stage 1 flash on stock M5 to extract a little more power? From my research the main difference between stage 1 and 2 is the downpipe. Whats the increased risk to the stock dp? blowing out the cats? damaging turbos?

I just dont know if I can put up with the smell and wastegate rattles with a catless dp....but the quest for power is inherent in everyone here....lol

I believe combatbmw has the rattling wastegate issue (cant remember which post) but he has a higher tolerance for it than I would.
Cat doesnt really do much if people still thinking that deleting cats will gain power you are wrong In My Opinion its jst sound.

Look at Precision Tune M6. Just Tune and meisterschaft muffler made a whole lot than any other tunes out there

688/641 to the wheels at 22psi.
I have seen anyone make that power
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #52
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Cat doesnt really do much if people still thinking that deleting cats will gain power you are wrong In My Opinion its jst sound.

Look at Precision Tune M6. Just Tune and meisterschaft muffler made a whole lot than any other tunes out there

What other cars Precision has tuned ?
You are correct my friend!
In some platform it doesn't seem Cats are restrictive but it is on others.

Last edited by wakeofdeath; 05-17-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #53
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath
Quote:

What other cars Precision has tuned ?
You are correct my friend!
In some platform it doesn't seem Cats are restrictive but it is on others.
They have Tuned

//M cars
AMG cars
F8xx who set the world record 10 sec.
Cls550

All with dyno before n after
They dnt do obd port tunes for any flaws that may occurs from obd to dme. Best is always to bench flash then straight at the brain itself
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #54
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Cat can overheat and melt in extreme cases... so I've heard.

To get more power you have to give something up (sound, reliability, gas mileage, etc)
I have not heard of cats melting, but have personally blown out the honeycomb material in cats before.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #55
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:

See, this is what I am looking for....flash/custom tune to maximize performance on mostly stock M5. But most tuners have broken up the flash to stages with no tuning, only bolt-ons then flash, next stage, etc...

I have to disagree though F10M5manual, less restrictionss generally do result in better gains, but how much, and how much on the M5/M6?....differs across platforms.

Too bad precision is on the wrong coast...lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #56
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
See, this is what I am looking for....flash/custom tune to maximize performance on mostly stock M5. But most tuners have broken up the flash to stages with no tuning, only bolt-ons then flash, next stage, etc...

I have to disagree though F10M5manual, less restrictionss generally do result in better gains, but how much, and how much on the M5/M6?....differs across platforms.

Fedex brings everyone closer together
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #57
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator
Quote:

Im sure it does play having cats no cats but how much?? The m6 now has same brand downpipes as mine dynoed it. And made same power. Lol. Actaully lost 8hp. Lol. Maybe cat delete benefits on high speed run for long time?

Currently the M6 now has Catless DP+ PT tune+ AEM meth kit (boost juice)

Precision is getting a few cars trailer to East Coast for their Maximum Custom Dyno tunes. So its possible.

Actually theres alot More AMG getting PT Tune now since Precision Has been making alot more power than Amg tunes also.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #58
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
They dnt do obd port tunes for any flaws that may occurs from obd to dme. Best is always to bench flash then straight at the brain itself

Your comment couldn't be more far off. If your tuner tells you you that they don't do OBD port tunes becuase of "flaws", then they simply don't have the proper equipment or know how to accomplish this.

Flashing the ECU on the bench and flashing through the OBD port accomplish the EXACT same thing. I have flashed my car and customers cars hundreds and hundreds of times via OBD without any issues. There is absolutely no "in-between", a flash either suceeds writing all of the data, or it fails. Not a single failure to date.

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #59
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post

Our tune will safely extract the most amount of power available. My F10 M5 is bone stock other than tune, and it rips.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that looking at a dyno number, just becuase car X made Y power on Z dyno, is foolish. There are so many variables with respect to dynos, that the only thing that really matters is the DELTA, on the same dyno, the same day, without the car ever being unstrapped.

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #60
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Here's a stage II customer that dynoed a couple months ago:

Redline is with a piggy back +2.5 PSI. Blue line is BPM Stage II and no piggyback - on a car with over 80,000 miles

We intentionally dropped boost after 6K and tampered it off to be nice to the turbos. The customer is going with upgraded turbos so this will change.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #61
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Any verified 60-130 times for this flash?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #62
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324
Any verified 60-130 times for this flash?
Would be good to get those. The only one I know of is allmotor2000, which was a custom tailored flash, but he has a JB4 + BCM and meth, and did it in 5.5 or 5.6 if I recall correctly.

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #63
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
In most cases the dealer doesn't overwrite the boot loader (unless there is an update to it) so the car would be reflashable over OBD. Otherwise we would need the ECUs again.

Gains on a non comp pack car are pretty substantial, have a look at our site for dynos. Gains can be upwards of 100 hp and torque depending on conditions and fuel.
Agreed !

Quote:
They have Tuned

//M cars
AMG cars
Cls550

False

Quote:
Your comment couldn't be more far off. If your tuner tells you you that they don't do OBD port tunes becuase of "flaws", then they simply don't have the proper equipment or know how to accomplish this.

Flashing the ECU on the bench and flashing through the OBD port accomplish the EXACT same thing. I have flashed my car and customers cars hundreds and hundreds of times via OBD without any issues. There is absolutely no "in-between", a flash either suceeds writing all of the data, or it fails. Not a single failure to date
100%
1+

Quote:
Our tune will safely extract the most amount of power available. My F10 M5 is bone stock other than tune, and it rips.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that looking at a dyno number, just becuase car X made Y power on Z dyno, is foolish. There are so many variables with respect to dynos, that the only thing that really matters is the DELTA, on the same dyno, the same day, without the car ever being unstrapped.

Looks good, any reason why some folks in SoCal use SAE or STD but here in North East they use SAE or Uncorrected ? The later which shows a bit lower numbers but more accurate from what I see.

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #64
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Quote:

Flashing the ECU on the bench and flashing through the OBD port accomplish the EXACT same thing. I have flashed my car and customers cars hundreds and hundreds of times via OBD without any issues. There is absolutely no "in-between", a flash either suceeds writing all of the data, or it fails. Not a single failure to date.

Every Tuner has its way of Tooning, Precision jst chose not not not not not touch obd. As far as F10 is concerned. Couple of 335 were port obd flash. But for F10 they stick with bench flash.

I think and believe that theyre doing it right.

So Far not one has come close to their power level on dyno,street,track on a Full Ecu Flash and not adding Oink-Oink to make a tricky xtra power
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #65
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath
Quote:

Agreed !

Quote:
They have Tuned

//M cars
AMG cars
Cls550

False

Quote:

Flashing the ECU on the bench and flashing through the OBD port accomplish the EXACT same thing. I have flashed my car and customers cars hundreds and hundreds of times via OBD without any issues. There is absolutely no "in-between", a flash either suceeds writing all of the data, or it fails. Not a single failure to date
100%
1+

Quote:

[IMG]http://www.bpmsport.com/media/catalo..._stgi_dyno.jpg[/IMG]
Looks good, any reason why some folks in SoCal use SAE or STD but here in North East they use SAE or Uncorrected ? The later which shows a bit lower numbers but more accurate from what I see.

Thanks for the info
Because Uncorrected is what the car actually put down at that moment.
Wether it was humid or cool blue skies.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #66
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Here's a stage II customer that dynoed a couple months ago:

Redline is with a piggy back +2.5 PSI. Blue line is BPM Stage II and no piggyback - on a car with over 80,000 miles

We intentionally dropped boost after 6K and tampered it off to be nice to the turbos. The customer is going with upgraded turbos so this will change.
What other mods besides BPM Stage ll tune?