M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Dinan Stage 1 ... Worth it?

On otherwise stock M5. Can the car actually hook up on dry, warm pavement?

How hard is the tune on the mechanicals? Owned car vs leased!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearview View Post
On otherwise stock M5. Can the car actually hook up on dry, warm pavement?

How hard is the tune on the mechanicals? Owned car vs leased!
The power and performance is great. I would spend the extra money and go straight for stage 2.
It is a noticeable difference from stage 1 > stage 2
The harness is reversible and can remove without any issues if you sell or return on lease. No long term issues or stress on engine component's.
Plus, Dinan has their own backed warranty program.

If you have the $$ and want peace of mind that you wont have issues with the dealer, then go with Dinan
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@Rearview , it is very worth it if you are more into the warranty coverage than anything else.
It has a good quality and superb customer service.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have read about issues with Stage 2 and to stick with Stage 1 on a stock setup (no downpipes, etc). I presume Stage 2 is more aggressive on boost and associated fuel:air mixes?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearview
I have read about issues with Stage 2 and to stick with Stage 1 on a stock setup (no downpipes, etc). I presume Stage 2 is more aggressive on boost and associated fuel:air mixes?
Stage 2 probably is stage 1 on flash tunes. Lol.
Dinan is pretty much conservative on any stages they mKe their piggy like jb But their piggy is still low on power due to they dnt want an aggressive tune on their warranty cars. Reliability on them is prolly ok
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Zero issues with my Stage 2 tune.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

i love my stage 1 tune
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

does anyone know the difference between stage 1 and stage 2? It isn't not very clear on their website, it looks like they only test stage 2 with their intake and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
does anyone know the difference between stage 1 and stage 2? It isn't not very clear on their website, it looks like they only test stage 2 with their intake and exhaust.
Correct, we only test with the intake and exhaust on stage 2 as that is what it was designed for. Stage 2 is really based around the intake more then anything; tweaking AFR's to compensate for the increased flow, etc. Can you run stage 2 without the intake? Yes, but we wouldn't recommend doing so just because we have found those that do that method to have a much higher instance of CEL's being triggered and other issues. The M5/M6's are a bit more finicky then the other platforms in this regard. Stage 2 will still garner you a bit more power without the hard parts technically as there is a pound of peak boost increase on its own. You will just not realize the full reported gains is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Stage 2 is a noticeable improvement of power all around.
Stage 2 is comparable to overall performance of BMS set at 3/3.5

I have tried and tested this with a M6 gran coupe and M5.
Both clients cars that switched from BMS stage 1 and went to Dinan stage 2 have all positive feed back on how much better Dinan performs overall compared to BMS stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great to know. I'll probably go Stage 1 after I get 4-5k miles on the old girl
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great to know. I'll probably go Stage 1 after I get 4-5k miles on the old girl
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To Dinan:

Saw a couple of threads where some M5 CP guys saw no noticeable gain from Stg 1. They alleged that Dinan rep stated that BMW under rates their advertised HP and that it is closer to the 620-630 range vs the advertised 575. Hence, the Dinan gain of 91hp is closer to ~40hp @ the crank. Rep also alleged that Dinan was going to correct their claim (this was in the Fall of 2014) or modify their Stg 1 offering.

First, is any of this accurate?

Second, has Dinan modified / evolved its Stage 1 tune from late 2014 to present? (new firmware?)

On a non-CP, stock F10 M5, what are dyno readings with and without Stg 1. Is there any 'satisfaction guarantee' within 7-10 days post-install? I'd be bummed to spend $3k on a piggyback for 40hp @ the crank (would be tough to detect a 3-4% hp increase net of drivetrain drain)

Thanks for any clarification!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Frankfurt View Post
Stage 2 is a noticeable improvement of power all around.
Stage 2 is comparable to overall performance of BMS set at 3/3.5

I have tried and tested this with a M6 gran coupe and M5.
Both clients cars that switched from BMS stage 1 and went to Dinan stage 2 have all positive feed back on how much better Dinan performs overall compared to BMS stage 1
Why compare DINAN stage 2 to BMS stage 1? JB4 with BCM changed the game completely from power and drivability and should be what DINAN stage 2 is compared to. Full data logging capability, active sound delete, LED night mode, boost in dash on fuel gauge, multilplie maps and list goes on. Would love to have a DINAN stage 2 car meet me at a half mile, 1/4 or 1/8 for fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #15
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrdriven View Post
Why compare DINAN stage 2 to BMS stage 1? JB4 with BCM changed the game completely from power and drivability and should be what DINAN stage 2 is compared to. Full data logging capability, active sound delete, LED night mode, boost in dash on fuel gauge, multilplie maps and list goes on. Would love to have a DINAN stage 2 car meet me at a half mile, 1/4 or 1/8 for fun.
Until recently, BMS only had a stage 1 and JB4 is not in the same category as you just explained all the facts.
Of course JB4 is going to have more features then any harness on the market and produce more gains.

I like BMS product's and install many of them for clients that request them.
But there are differences in between all the companies piggy back units.

Everyone knows that a JB4 will be faster then Dinan, ESS, Active..pretty much any car with just a piggyback
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To Dinan:

Saw a couple of threads where some M5 CP guys saw no noticeable gain from Stg 1. They alleged that Dinan rep stated that BMW under rates their advertised HP and that it is closer to the 620-630 range vs the advertised 575. Hence, the Dinan gain of 91hp is closer to ~40hp @ the crank. Rep also alleged that Dinan was going to correct their claim (this was in the Fall of 2014) or modify their Stg 1 offering.

Second, has Dinan modified / evolved its Stage 1 tune from late 2014 to present? (new firmware?)

On a non-CP, stock F10 M5, what are dyno readings with and without Stg 1. Is there any 'satisfaction guarantee' within 7-10 days post-install? I'd be bummed to spend $3k on a piggyback for 40hp @ the crank (would be tough to detect a 3-4% hp increase net of drivetrain drain)

Thanks for any clarification!

Until Dinan chimes in the some specifics on the fine details of the software updates. I do know that there have been a few firmware updates for this platform. If its performance of software updates I do not know that.

There is for sure a large noticeable power increase with Stage 1
I have not dyno tested any clients cars to post up any gains but, the power is there and every client that received Dinan has been very happy with it.

Contact your local Dinan Authorized dealer and ask if they offer any type of specials for you.

Last edited by A Frankfurt; 03-31-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow--- really delving back in to the archives aren't we? =)

Kind of accurate, sort of. When the tune was originally released the stock rating that we measured was not present on the website although it was listed on the performance charts. This led some people to accuse Dinan of falsely reporting gains by "taking credit for gains that we did not produce" by assuming we took credit for all power from the rated horsepower to tuned when in fact the data points as presented below were always displayed. Just not specifically listed / called out. Misleading the gains was never the intent by any means and it was simply not as clear as it could have been was all. The graph below shows data points at various RPM's comparing stock and stage 1 on the M5 CP along with the delta.

Name:  M5_Comp_Charts_Combined_GS_Page_1.jpg
Views: 5987
Size:  150.7 KB

Quote:
There has been a few firmware updates to the DINANTRONICS base module but nothing specific to the S63TU engine. Most firmware updates have been in connection to resolving intermittent issues on various platforms in relation to the electronic wastegate which is not applicable to the M5 as it only uses a pneumatic wastegate to date. There was 1 performance update if I recall correctly about a month or 2 after initial release that upped the power slightly after a way to extract a bit more power safely was discovered. That would have been the end of 2014 somewhere.

Quote:
Like the graph above all performance data can be found on the associated product page under the "specs" and/or "pictures/video" tab right above the description on the product page. Dinan offers a 72hour grace period if the tune does not live up to your expectations (Dinan just needs to be notified within 72 hours of install; the unit does not have to be removed within 72 hours) where you can return it. As Autohaus above mentioned some dealers offer longer guarantees but Dinan itself is 72 hours.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Frankfurt View Post
Until Dinan chimes in the some specifics on the fine details of the software updates. I do know that there have been a few firmware updates for this platform. If its performance of software updates I do not know that.

There is for sure a large noticeable power increase with Stage 1
I have not dyno tested any clients cars to post up any gains but, the power is there and every client that received Dinan has been very happy with it.

Contact your local Dinan Authorized dealer and ask if they offer any type of specials for you.
Thank you, Frankfurt!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Wow--- really delving back in to the archives aren't we? =)

Kind of accurate, sort of. When the tune was originally released the stock rating that we measured was not present on the website although it was listed on the performance charts. This led some people to accuse Dinan of falsely reporting gains by "taking credit for gains that we did not produce" by assuming we took credit for all power from the rated horsepower to tuned when in fact the data points as presented below were always displayed. Just not specifically listed / called out. Misleading the gains was never the intent by any means and it was simply not as clear as it could have been was all. The graph below shows data points at various RPM's comparing stock and stage 1 on the M5 CP along with the delta.

Attachment 1392496

There has been a few firmware updates to the DINANTRONICS base module but nothing specific to the S63TU engine. Most firmware updates have been in connection to resolving intermittent issues on various platforms in relation to the electronic wastegate which is not applicable to the M5 as it only uses a pneumatic wastegate to date. There was 1 performance update if I recall correctly about a month or 2 after initial release that upped the power slightly after a way to extract a bit more power safely was discovered. That would have been the end of 2014 somewhere.

Like the graph above all performance data can be found on the associated product page under the "specs" and/or "pictures/video" tab right above the description on the product page. Dinan offers a 72hour grace period if the tune does not live up to your expectations (Dinan just needs to be notified within 72 hours of install; the unit does not have to be removed within 72 hours) where you can return it. As Autohaus above mentioned some dealers offer longer guarantees but Dinan itself is 72 hours.
Thank you very much. Do you have the same dyno graphs for the non-CP F10 M5 S63tu?

The #'s above look pretty 'badass'!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #20
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much. Do you have the same dyno graphs for the non-CP F10 M5 S63tu?

The #'s above look pretty 'badass'!
Name:  0268b2f3530102d7b9a95c8096cd243a.jpg
Views: 5748
Size:  140.1 KB
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

Solid graph.

Can Dinan verify if a tune has been put on a 2nd owner car?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincvert View Post
Solid graph.

Can Dinan verify if a tune has been put on a 2nd owner car?
DINANTRONICS is tied to the original VIN it was installed on for warranty purposes. If the unit was removed from the originally installed vehicle and put on another M5 it would work just fine but it would not be associated with that VIN and thus hold no warranty.
Appreciate 0