M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Strange question: M5 or 991? (updated with crappy iPhone pic)

Hey Guys,

Little background, my lease ends in a few months on my E92. I have no kids, and I have my wife's 535 GT. I am not a huge multiple cars kind of guy. One of the reasons that I love my E92 is that is very versatile and feels like a smaller car, carry golf clubs in trunk but still a lot of car for public roads.

I always wanted a 911, and from the reviews the 991 seems to be more inline with a luxury sport with tech as opposed to just a sports car.

However, a M5 seems to be a much better value, dollar for dollar, in tech, performance, and versatility. Pretty much $100K for either car, not a 991 S mind you. On a side note, the M6 is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion.

Just wonder for you guys with the M5 as your only car, or main car, do you ever pine for the smaller sport car or the M5 enough for you?

Test drives are always fun and too subjective for me. Like looking a new house, it is hard to figure out how you would like it if haven't spent some time living in it.

Thanks!

Last edited by grendel88; 11-30-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Oh my. I just went through this and have lots to add. Will update you tomorrow.
      09-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel88 View Post
Hey Guys,

Little background, my lease ends in a few months on my E92. I have no kids, and I have my wife's 535 GT. I am not a huge multiple cars kind of guy. One of the reasons that I love my E92 is that is very versatile and feels like a smaller car, carry golf clubs in trunk but still a lot of car for public roads.

I always wanted a 911, and from the reviews the 991 seems to be more inline with a luxury sport with tech as opposed to just a sports car.

However, a M5 seems to be a much better value, dollar for dollar, in tech, performance, and versatility. Pretty much $100K for either car, not a 991 S mind you. On a side note, the M6 is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion.

Just wonder for you guys with the M5 as your only car, or main car, do you ever pine for the smaller sport car or the M5 enough for you?

Test drives are always fun and too subjective for me. Like looking a new house, it is hard to figure out how you would like it if haven't spent some time living in it.

Thanks!
I have three cars, but the SUV does not count(: My other car is a 650 convertible which is nice for long drives with the down, and it was been 100% reliable so I will not sell it. Now I was in your boat my target was a 911s or the M5. Pros for the 911 for me were, fast, light , sexy, nice trophy. Cons, I can't take my golf clubs, long drives a negative, tight space, and once you get all the nice options 125k easy.

M5, this is my 6th BMW never had any major problems, 4years free mtc always a plus, golf clubs ride, good for a long drive, crazy fast. Cons, I don't have my car now still in customs waiting on a oil pump (:, honestly that's the only con I have. The car drives fantastic in my opinion, and I can take 4 people in it if I chose to probably not!

You can't go wrong with either one, but for me I didn't see paying 30k more or a cars with the cons I listed. Money was not an issues it was more of a value thing for me becaue if I spend 130k, hell another 70k would just spend d 200k on something more exotic than a Porsche or BMW. The M5 was a winner all around for me, and I have no regrets even with the pump issue as it will pass, and all on this board will go back to talking about how they love the car again. Good look with your selection, and again I comment because the Porsche was on my radar. Now if I would get a Porsche it would be the RS 4.0 now your talking.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

i went through this for a few months and finally decided - and bought- an M5.
better value for money, nice electronic gadgets, just as fast (at least on straights...maybe not quite as fast on mountain roads and i do not care about the nuerburgring), good looking, great interior, practical car etcetcetc. i have the M5 now for almost four months, did 8K km
with it and still like it a lot. but here comes my big but......recently i have found myself testdrinving a lambo gallardo, porsche 991S, a ferrari 458 and a mclaren. why did i do this? well, the M5 in all its perfection is just not involving enough at legal speeds, and not even at those speeds which do not immediately threaten your license if caught. driving it is a bit like playing a video game. seems the car does the job for you anyway.
now i always get out of the comfort modes when i get in the car, use at least the M1 button, which i have programmed to sporty settings. then things improve somewhat for me at least subjectively.
do i regret having bought the M5? no. would i buy it again? no, i'd go for the porsche 991 C4S, which is a very nice compromise in practicality and sportyness between lambo, ferrari, mclaren on one side and the M5 on the other side. would i drive faster with any of those cars? no, but i would have more fun.
but in all earnest, you cannot go wrong with either of those cars,
peter
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
ArtE36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5

I was caught with a similar decision. My life circumstances are a little different. The m5 is an additional car for me. I drive quite a bit, approx. 90 miles per day to work. I have an Acura Tsx as a commuter car to pile the miles on. I needed a car that was fun and versatile enough to take the kids in or a few guys to the golf course. Getting the Porsche would only allow me to enjoy the car by myself. The m5 allows me the best of all worlds. I can daily drive it in the summer, use on the weekends with the kids or to the golf course, can also take it on long weekend trips. I still have hopes of getting a p-car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
No kids? Take the Porsche.

I have a little kiddo myself, so there's no contest. M5 wins.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

If you have a daily driver already then porsche, if you do not then M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

If you won't be able to steal your wife's car when go golfing then I'd go with a M5. Being unable to bring my golf equipment with my 911 has been a problem but I have another car for golfing days. You might be able to squeeze the gold bag into the rear seat area but definitely not a cart. Sometimes I still take the 911 to driving range and folding the seat to reach for my clubs in the back isn't necessary a fun thing to do.
      09-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I am in same situation...found myself looking at the Panamera GTS...finally drove it....good lord...was amazing. All of the above mentioned pros as the M5, but an all around more interesting, engaging car. I am likely going to take a brief break from BMW and lease one next. You should check one out for sure
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
topologe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 Porsche 991 S

The "smile per mile" factor that you will get from the M5 and 911 are totally different. Since you already have a 535 GT, the M5 might feel like a souped up 535 to you. The 911 is a different animal, different smile per mile. I think the 911 will make you happier for a longer time. Why don't you get a nice used sporty sedan and the 911? Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
dr.skp.ortho
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 991 911 Carrera S, F06 M6 GC

I have the f10 M5 and the 991 911 Carrera S.

Both are amazing. The Porsche is the better sports car, handles better lighter etc.

The M5 is superior as a tourer sports luxury sedan.

If you want a very sporty experience get the Porsche but if you want more comfort and space get the M5.
Mercedes C250
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
No kids? Take the Porsche.

I have a little kiddo myself, so there's no contest. M5 wins.
Exactly...991 & M5 two different tools with different functions. I didn't consider the M5 until I had a baby on the way. I'm a car nut and I often like to take my car out when I can. I thought to myself, if it's a nice day and I have destination that requires me to bring along my wife and child, I can take my M5 and be comfortable. That is impossible with a 991 or other competing cars within that class. This is why the M5 is an awesome concept. A comfortable highway cruiser, or an amazing performing sports car that defies physics.

There you have it...What do you need your car to do for you? The Porsche is awesome, gorgeous, and fast...BUT...small inside, more money,and harsher ride. The Porsche will get more stares, and the M5 will blend in better. Some may prefer either or.

I wish you luck with your decision
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, my E92 is my fifth BMW in a row...I am just afraid of boredom, leading to restlessness, leading to value depreciating trades in the future. Porsche seem to be 10% overpriced...I don't mind the small car; I commute alone for 10 miles a day in zero traffic. I like the room like I said to carry clubs, but I found out the "back seat" can hold one bag, and the front "trunk" can hold my pull cart with the wheels taken off so technically it is enough room.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markow View Post
i went through this for a few months and finally decided - and bought- an M5.
better value for money, nice electronic gadgets, just as fast (at least on straights...maybe not quite as fast on mountain roads and i do not care about the nuerburgring), good looking, great interior, practical car etcetcetc. i have the M5 now for almost four months, did 8K km
with it and still like it a lot. but here comes my big but......recently i have found myself testdrinving a lambo gallardo, porsche 991S, a ferrari 458 and a mclaren. why did i do this? well, the M5 in all its perfection is just not involving enough at legal speeds, and not even at those speeds which do not immediately threaten your license if caught. driving it is a bit like playing a video game. seems the car does the job for you anyway.
now i always get out of the comfort modes when i get in the car, use at least the M1 button, which i have programmed to sporty settings. then things improve somewhat for me at least subjectively.
do i regret having bought the M5? no. would i buy it again? no, i'd go for the porsche 991 C4S, which is a very nice compromise in practicality and sportyness between lambo, ferrari, mclaren on one side and the M5 on the other side. would i drive faster with any of those cars? no, but i would have more fun.
but in all earnest, you cannot go wrong with either of those cars,
peter
See.. that is what I am afraid of...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho View Post
I have the f10 M5 and the 991 911 Carrera S.

Both are amazing. The Porsche is the better sports car, handles better lighter etc.

The M5 is superior as a tourer sports luxury sedan.

If you want a very sporty experience get the Porsche but if you want more comfort and space get the M5.
Did you even consider a regular 991 or did you straight for the 991s?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topologe View Post
The "smile per mile" factor that you will get from the M5 and 911 are totally different. Since you already have a 535 GT, the M5 might feel like a souped up 535 to you. The 911 is a different animal, different smile per mile. I think the 911 will make you happier for a longer time. Why don't you get a nice used sporty sedan and the 911? Problem solved.
I just I am kind of strange that way...I don't like having multiple cars for myself. I love getting my wife something that I like for her, but I never saw the advantage of having a DD or a dedicated sports car. I have a short commute. I do not ski or snowboard anymore. I don't do track days. I have gotten 2 speeding tix over the last 15 years. I just love cars, not really collecting them. This is why I really enjoyed my E92. If the new one wasn't so ugly...and no, it won't grow on me...when the E92 came out, I LOVED the looks. Everything points to a 991, non-S, well equipped with PDK for just under $100K...the M5 is still a better deal
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Well for me this played out differently. I currently have a 997.2 Targa and the Cayenne for the wife. The Targa has been the greatest DD anyone could ask for. In the winter is was solid as ever (4S) in the summer the back hatch gave me plenty of room to throw in my clubs and other stuff. A true DD with fun to boot - i will miss it. Porsche even gave me a 6k incentive to get out of my car and into a new 991 (called a pull through). After testing the new 991 I would go so far as to say that its more comfortable and easier to live with them my 997. However a few things pulled me to the M5. The 1st was our newborn in the house - my wife needs the Cayenne almost everyday and there are days (key ones) when I need a car that can take 3+ and blend in at customer sites. The 2nd was timing, I really wanted the C4S with electric glass roof and Porsche kept delaying the launch and withholding the glass roof option until last week!!! 3rd was change, having the Cayenne and the 997.2 I wanted to get back into a BMW with all the fun gadgets like soft close doors, HUD, NAV, etc. Finally was price, the cheapest 911 I could live with (configure) was around 160k and thats about 35k more then the M5. With so much change at home and not knowing what model of the 991 I really wanted (C2S, C4S, GT3?) I went with the safe best and got an M5.

Now in all honesty the practical side of me should have gone with a 335x or an S4 to make room for the 911. BUT after driving the M5 there was no way I was not getting one - especially in MT (the last of its bread). Will I miss having a 911, yes, there is absolutely no substitute and I have warned the wife that I will have to add a 3rd car to the stable. Will I love the M5, yes 100% Its a great city driving and cruising car with speed and fun to boot.

In your shoes? I would go 991 - test one and see how you feel - its going to a great ride a fantastic DD. in my book the M5 and the 991 Targa/GT3 are the two cars to have in the stable.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Had a 2009 997.2 , 911 4s for three years and sold it at the beginning of this year. Wonderful car particularly if you like the PDK tranny , it's fantastic. If you don't need to carry 4 people and don't plan on driving this car for long trips (> say 3 hours) go with the Porsche . It is more thrilling to drive even to the grocery store and there is no comparison in terms of the cache this car has compared to the M5 .
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Kinda hard to compare between these 2 cars. It's more of a needs question than preference. I always advise people to have 2 cars. The 2nd car can be bought used for some savings. Having 2 distinctly different cars can afford u the best of both worlds. That said, i am not really a fan of the 991. I test drove a 991 C2S with the idea of replacing my E92 M3, but left with a bad taste in my mouth and I sort of feel bad for feeling this way. Not only is it not better than my M3 in every way, it's falls behind in some areas. Not exactly something i expect to get for that price. You really ought to test drive it to know. Try to talk your Porsche dealers into an extended test drive session for u to gauge the car better!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Infamous///M5
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5 - C43 AMG

F10 M5 is BOSS go ahead park it next to a 911 it looks as if the M5 wants to eat it..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous///M5 View Post
F10 M5 is BOSS go ahead park it next to a 911 it looks as if the M5 wants to eat it..
Haha... nice!
      09-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
335OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Panamera GTS
Love this car
Appreciate 0